PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about bluetooth carkits?

aidanf
6th Apr 2006, 12:34
Had a bluetooth earpiece and I looked too much of a **** to keep wearing it, so got a bluetooth carkit instead.

Question is, it automatically finds my phone when I'm in the car and turn on the ignition. My phone is getting her own bluetooth phone today and I'll set her up on the car system as well. Simple so far!

So what happens when we both go into the car with our bluetooth phones, both looking for the bluetooth device. Ideally the driver's one should be the one connected as the passenger can use their phone normally so how do I do this - anyone know?

FWIW the bluetooth is a Mr. Handsfree (yup it does sound like something Homer Simpson would invent), haven't the foggiest what model

PerArdua
6th Apr 2006, 12:38
Easiest solution is get the wife to turn her bluetooth off but you can 'pair' the device with your phone first, ie get in the car first and then hers will not find the carkit when she gets in.

PA

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 12:50
Even easier! Do what we did a few years ago.....

Live without a mobile phone.

strafer
6th Apr 2006, 12:51
I'm confused - your bluetooth earpiece can turn on your car's ignition and your phone is getting a new phone?

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 13:00
Almost correct.......his wife is a phone, but she still turns him on.

G-CPTN
6th Apr 2006, 13:05
Have you a fern?

aidanf
6th Apr 2006, 13:29
Clearly the happy pills have been dispensed on Ward JB - I guess I should know better by now :ouch:

steamchicken
6th Apr 2006, 13:34
Aidan: if you've set up a Bluetooth pairing between your phone and your headset, it shouldn't be a problem. I recommend you change the phone's Bluetooth display name from the default (Qtek 8100 or Nokia 6230i for example) to something intelligent (Aidan's Nokia 6230i for example), and if you can, set the headset's ID to something recognisable. Then pair the two devices. It should auto-connect in future (if you enable that).

As a further precaution, once connected why not set the phone as non-discoverable?

bear11
6th Apr 2006, 16:39
Aidan, a word of warning if the phone isn't charged from the car kit, 'cos the Bluetooth really hammers the battery life if you have it on all the time. I have a 6230, and it flattens the battery on a long drive.

joe2812
6th Apr 2006, 21:43
Can you not pair both devices with the car kit, but when you're both in the car only you have your Bluetooth on, and the missus have hers off?

Then if she goes driving she can just switch hers on and it should automatically connect, but when you're both together only yours can be found.

tart1
6th Apr 2006, 21:46
So, to summarise, she must have it off with you in the car. :E

M.Mouse
6th Apr 2006, 22:28
I have two telephones paired with my bluetooth car kit. The car kit is integrated with the car but will only pair with one telephone at any one time.

It is selectable via the car system.

If yours is an aftermarket kit I believe your system will connect with the first telephone that it 'sees'.

I may be wrong.

Jesters
7th Apr 2006, 09:02
I have a bluetooth car kit and both my phone and girlfriends phone are paired with it. Both work fine on their own but when we both have bluetooth turned on it seems to pair with my phone and not hers, which fortunately is perfect cos i have no idea why it happens.

Think it might have something to do with which phone it pairs with first??

I would agree with bear11 tho, get a charging cradle in the car cos bluetooth really sucks the life out of the phone!

acbus1
7th Apr 2006, 09:41
Wish I had a girlfriend with a good pair. :(

airborne_artist
7th Apr 2006, 09:47
She's got a good pair and you want to go handsfree?

acbus1
7th Apr 2006, 09:48
Only if she sucks the life out of my mobile.