PDA

View Full Version : Security on files

261A
6th Apr 2006, 11:54
Is it possible using XP to password specific files as I am on shared computer.

HelenD
6th Apr 2006, 17:47
It is possible to password protect files that are created in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access. It may depend on the version as to how it is done, the help system will let you know how best to protect the files including the possible options eg no acess without password, right access only if password is supplied etc.
As for files created in other applications the only thing I can think of to protect them is to add them to a Winzip folder and password protect that. Encryption software is available to encrypt information if you prefer. I believe that if you encrypt a file from within windows it uses the windows account details to generate the encryption key. To encrypt a file right click the file you want to encrypt then click properties then advanced selecting the encrypt file check box. Windows advises that the folder that the file is in should also be encrypted.

Spitoon
6th Apr 2006, 18:19
Doesn't XP allow you to make a folder private - XP Pro certainly does - and this version of the OS is the first that really had any good access privilige control according to the write ups. Never used it myself but I guess if you have individual user accounts you should be able to make folders visible/accessible to specific users.

On my configuration the option is available by right-clicking on a folder (in Windows Explorer) and selecting Properties. Pick the Sharing tab and tick the 'Make folder Private' box.

Hope this helps.

spannersatcx
6th Apr 2006, 18:40
Never knew that, it's greyed out on mine, when putting the ? over it it says:
Specifies that only you can access the folder. When you make a folder private, you also make all the files and subfolders it contains private. This option is only available for your folders in your user profile (My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, and Favorites). If you want to make a file in a private folder available to other users, you can move the file to the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, or Shared Music folders.

FJJP
7th Apr 2006, 13:47
With Word and Excell [the 2 I use regularly] you can password protect individual documents.

Go 'File>Save As' and then click 'Tools>general Options'. That will allow you to type in a password to open or modify.

I use 'Save As' routinely; I have put the 'Save As' button on the toolbar. [Go 'Tools>Customise>File>Save As' then drag the 'Save As' button onto the toolbar].

261A
7th Apr 2006, 14:02
Files I am looking to password protect are picture/image files which are saved in 'My Pictures' on my C drive.

Is it possible to password these at all - I don't want to encrypt don't see how you could with picture files :ugh:

Thanks for replies so far appreciated :ok:

ZH875
7th Apr 2006, 17:41
Files I am looking to password protect are picture/image files which are saved in 'My Pictures' on my C drive.

Is it possible to password these at all - I don't want to encrypt don't see how you could with picture files :ugh:

Thanks for replies so far appreciated :ok:Encryption is possible, but I am always suspicious of people that want to protect image files from other users....