PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Stage one assessment !!

Melway
6th Apr 2006, 10:40
Could any one suggest any good books, website, courses and information they found helpful for psychometric and skills assessment for Qantas? Any feed back, or help is much appreciated. Thank you :ok:

M-4
6th Apr 2006, 10:53
You could try getting in touch with ACER - aust council for education research. 19 Prospect Hill Rd, Camberwell. They prepare psychometic tests for organisations and have some books that would be useful for preparation. Other than that try boarders or technical book shop. All the best

The Messiah
6th Apr 2006, 14:50
........or failing that seek out the best surgeon you can find and invest in a frontal labotamy or crash an aircraft, most of their drivers I've met have had one or both.

turbantime
6th Apr 2006, 22:14
Melway,

I believe you're talking about Stage two which is the skills & psyche.

Do a search on these forums, there is an absolute tonne of info on it.

Look at the QF website too, there you'll find examples and the fact that it is referred to as stage two.

A little bit of initiative goes a long long way. :ok:

TwinNDB
7th Apr 2006, 00:05
Melway,

As turbantime said, if you do a search you will find a whole heap of information about some good books that are out there. HOWEVER, although the books may have some good examples in them, they are often lacking in substance. ie: only 6 - 12 examples for each question, it doesnt take too long at that rate to know the answer, rather than practice a good technique.

Depending on what sort of company you are working for at the moment there is some great "underground" stuff out there. Most guys have photcopies of someone elses photocopies etc. I found the stuff to really practice was the cubes, maths, english and the commands.

If you can get the books and practice the technique and then get a hold of some photocopies and practice, practice practice. Also, do anything that gets you brain active in the areas required, read technical manuals, do crosswords, maths puzzles etc, they may not be what the tests are based on but they normally get the old grey matter out of first gear if thats where its been stuck for a while!! :D

Also, if you get throught this stage, a really, really good book for aircraft general knowledge for the interview is:

Ace the Technical Pilot Interview
Gary V Bistrow
ISBN 0-07-139609-8

(If you have the time, order the books with amazon - i did and it normally worked out cheaper than the local bookstore with similar times for delivery as the bookstores waiting period)

Twin.

Pilbara Bloke
7th Apr 2006, 03:33
The test just got a whole lot harder. The three data sets from the introduction of the maths test no longer appear in the actual test. I already had ten answers ready after spend a good hour in the intro period.

You can send a big thank you to the gents at PATS for this, their clients were scoring to high and spending hours in the maths intro.

Goodluck to all those getting ready , no easy solutions but hard work really. Just glad it is behind me.

Melway
10th Apr 2006, 10:00
Thank you all for the helpful responses. Yes....I stand corrected....it is stage two.

Can anyone comment on PATS course? Is it worth while spending the money doing it? How helpful was it in your preparation?

BoundaryLayer
11th Apr 2006, 11:25
Would anyone happen to know what sort of experience Qantas are currently looking for, to get to Stage 2??

i.e. the 'real' min. requirements as opposed to published...

DeafStar
11th Apr 2006, 11:59
Forget Qantas and apply to Jet*. It will be the same airline in a few years.

The Bullwinkle
11th Apr 2006, 12:12
Forget Qantas and apply to Jet*. It will be the same airline in a few years.
Unless of course you really want to live in Singapore. :E
Seriously though, QANTAS would probably be a good stepping stone in an aviation career. :ok:

TwinNDB
12th Apr 2006, 01:33
BoundaryLayer,

I do not believe there is an actual minimum. It all comes down to you stage two results, performance in the sim (taking into account current aircraft type and hours) and if the stage two results reflect the type of person you actually are in the interview ie: DO NOT LIE!

Having said the above however, I am not aware of anybody getting in recently (last year or so) that has had less than 1500hrs, and then normally with some good twin time.

DeafStar - Are you :mad: joking. It may end up being the same airline in a few years but on a definite B scale rate. You'd be mad to knock back QF for JQ on the basis of that argument.

Twin

PS - good luck to all going through testing. about 50 this year and 100 next. :ok:

Pilbara Bloke
12th Apr 2006, 02:50
The PATS course is top notch , I would have had zero chance of passing on my own. The HR people are fairly peeved about this program as it completely beats their system. My group got asked who had done this course, and the HR person claimed they can work out who has done the PATS course - just my view but I don't believe that.

Each to their own - many bitter and twisted campers that have missed on this test.

ballteara
12th Apr 2006, 03:11
Pilbara Bloke you really are a tosser arn't you. All of your posts bar one have been about PATS and how fantastic the course is. Clearly you work for or own PATS. Is PB Jonathan?

So to all of you out there I did the course last year and its utter crap. You are better off buying a year 10 maths book and reading novels than doing that ****e course. You could also go to a large book shop and by material on such.

Give PATS a BIG miss.

DeafStar
12th Apr 2006, 03:54
Geoff Dixon would never let pilots who work for him end up on a B scale! He's a fantastic bloke who loves his pilots. Jetstar is an excellent airline that pays well. Qantas.. pffffffft.

max autobrakes
12th Apr 2006, 05:04
Yeah DeafStar,
and your boss ,the poisoned leprechaun ,has a strong manly hand shake.

Pilbara Bloke
12th Apr 2006, 05:07
Didn't do the work and failed huh ? , finding it hard to accept? , no six figure pay check with o/nights in Hawaii ? boo hoo

The course helped me immeasurably, that is my view, and I have no interest at all in that company.

You are entitle to your view but there are many within Qantas ( KT, AE,JM,AR) who I know don't share your view. The results for people re-sitting in many cases have increased so much that foremetioned , are working out what to do, and have made changes.

No interest in arguing signing off on this topic, goodluck to all , but It is really just history to me.

ballteara
12th Apr 2006, 05:49
PB,

Mate your like a walking advertisement. I suggest you get your facts straight and talk to QF direct they will contradict everything you just said. PATS is nothing but a big fat waste of money. And BTW I started with QF back in August and who the F$^&* are KM, AE, JM, AR. :ok:

Pilbara Bloke
12th Apr 2006, 06:23
BT,

They are the people who run recruitment at QF/J*- but then again as you would know that as you work there - don't you. I suspect you are a wannabe who is either a GALUP ,or missed the cadet program. One thing for sure is that you don't work for QF as a pilot , the bitterness and anger is a bit of a giveaway.

I do work for QF and some of the seniors from HR/Flight Ops did as my course who had done said course. Anyone who can has the contacts to find out from KT, JM , or AE will find this said course has skewed their selection data fairly massively.

Cadet applications open on June the 9th this year , will you be a level two this year BT.

Melway
12th Apr 2006, 06:52
Speaking of stage two assessment……Has anyone been invited for the psych. and aptitude test for Qantas in May? Heard they are running assessment then from a very reliable source. :ok:

ballteara
12th Apr 2006, 06:52
PB,

You complete and utter amateur. If you worked for QF you would have got the correct initials of the recruitment staff first time and not needed to edit your original post - tosser. But I guess being Jonathan nobody who rips pilots off and is the only supporter of this crap product you would know everyone in the HR department. I guess you should realise you are punching well above your weight and quit while you are well and truely behind. Also the cadet program starts on the 1 of June you twit, just look at the website tosser.

BT,

I do work for QF and some of the seniors from HR/Flight Ops did as my course who had done said course. Anyone who can has the contacts to find out from KT, JM , or AE will find this said course has skewed their selection data fairly massively.

Once again utter crap I just rang Flight Ops and they are not in the slightest way concerned about such an amatuer course as PATS. And if you were so close to these "seniors" you would know that JQ have nothing to do with how this test is performed.

Go back to what you do best and bullSh*t pilots to the worth of your crap product.

Pilbara Bloke
12th Apr 2006, 06:57
Excitable little fellow aren't you.

Yawn.