PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Air - do they look at f-Atpl?

captain_ramsey
6th Apr 2006, 06:55
Does anybody know if a graduate from a leading FTO on an integrated Atpl course would be considered for placement with Dragon Air in HK? Any information would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

ChocksAwayUK
6th Apr 2006, 07:38
Don't know, but have a look in the "Fragrant Harbour" forum - it's dedicated to Honkers (not that sort).

B200Drvr
6th Apr 2006, 07:42
Captain,
I think it has more to do with your experience, most companies outside the UK dont give a flying @#$% about intergrated or "FATPL"
Sorry but they are UK inventions that most airlines dont care about.

Cavallier
6th Apr 2006, 08:36
Hello Captain,
Dragonair wil only look at DEFO with over 4000 hours with a large portion of this being jet. I got in on the Direct Entry Second Officer scheme with just under 1500 hours but I had a Hong Kong permanent ID card which is a pre requisite for entry. They had no preference for modular or integrated.
Hope this helps

The Cav:cool:

UlsterPPL
6th Apr 2006, 11:45
Hi Cavalier, Thanks for the info. Check your PM.

redsnail
6th Apr 2006, 12:48
Quite a few of my former colleagues in Australia fly for Dragon Air. Whilst they didn't have any jet time they had significant experience on Dash 8s. Somewhere in the region of several thousand hours on them.

gone till november
6th Apr 2006, 18:30
Captain have a look at the link below which will give you an idea of what thier looking for.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/2006/03/30/1451653/First+Officers+(B747-400).html

They also have a cadet programme through an Australian Intergrated flying school (Adelaide me thinks) but you must have been selected by the airline and HK residency.

B200drvr

A wild and generally inaccurate statement about intergrated and Fatpl's courses.

For starters much of OATs and British Aerospace's (old days in Prestwick) intake was from foreign airlines including such diverse operators as Gulf, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Aer Lingus etc etc. Have all put cadets through the CAP 509 as it used to be with much success.

So much so that some American airlines (late 90's to late 2001) looked very hard at this "UK phenomenon" as a way of getting high quality pilots, quickly on the line.

Most European countries and or national airlines including much of the Far East and Australasia, have some form of cadet programme of 0-200 odd hrs and then the right hand seat of something tasty.

Its worked for years and "if it ain't broke" etc etc etc

Good luck all:ok:

captain_ramsey
7th Apr 2006, 17:09
Thankyou everyone for your replies, useful and very much appreciated.
All the best.
CR

UlsterPPL
10th Apr 2006, 10:06
Hi Cavalier,
Just wonder how did you apply for the Dragonair Second Officer direct entry? Do they advertise the scheme or did you just walk in to their recruitment office and ask? How many hours did you have to apply and do they giving you a bridging course between the level of cadet and DEFO? Also if you don't mind. The age? I think they operate a discreet policy on age. Age discrimination is NOT illegal in Hong Kong and there were protest on newspaper recently (flight attendent). I am 33 and have been applying for cadet program for the past 3 years. Not a word. I am a UK post engineering graduate, JAA PPL, team sport player and HK PR. Never given a chance to get any closer to the assessment test. I believe 30 odd age should still can provide 20 years service for an airliner. It hasn't been a fair play for me at all :( So I would like to hear from your option on 2nd officer opportunities.