PDA

View Full Version : Can you realistically work in the UK with an FAA CPL/IR?

AlexEvans
5th Apr 2006, 20:26
Hi. I'm at a major crossroads and I need some help. Like a lot of people, my dream is to be paid to fly. I suppose I'm a professional pilot wannabee rather than an airline pilot wannabee because I'd be very happy to fly anything for a living.

I have a problem though. I can't get a CAA class 1 medical because of the 4.0 diopters of astigmatism in my left eye exceeds the CAA limit (2.0 diopters).

I've been to aviation house for an 'eyes only' medical, which is the eyesight portion of the initial class 1 medical examination. Although advising against having LASIK (like they always will do) they did confirm, in writing, that if I had successful LASIK to reduce the astigmatism to less than 2.0 diopters then they would issue a class 1 medical.

Unfortunately, they also spotted an abnormality in the endothelium (layer of cells at back of cornea) that does not affect me now and is unlikely to affect me in the future - but that may be affected by having LASIK. One eye doctor that I have seen is of the opinion that LASIK can cause the rate of degeneration of the cells in the endothelium to accelerate and will not perform the LASIK procedure for that reason. This is also the opinion of Adrian Chorley at Gatwick AMD.

So I'm faced with a tough decision. Do I have LASIK so that I can be issued a class 1 medical and run the risk of losing my medical (and cornea) permanently at some indeterminate time in the future or do I give up on ever getting a JAA CPL/IR fATPL?

In order to make this decision, I really need some advice from the people who know about flying for a living....

I believe that I can get an FAA class 1 medical right now with no LASIK procedure needed. I've read in Clive Hughes book that some corporate and charter work is available in the UK to FAA CPL/IR holders. Do you think that getting an FAA CPL/IR and hoping to find some of this work in the UK as a new pilot is a realistic option? I'd even be willing to do trans atlantic ferry flying :eek:.

What do you think? Also how employable are inexperienced FAA CPL/IR holders around the world generally?

I hope someone out there will be able to help me with this because I have a tough decision to make and I want to make it an informed one.

B200Drvr
6th Apr 2006, 07:52
Alex,
I dont say it is impossible, but very improbable that a low time FAA CPL will find work in the UK. There are a fair amount on "N" reg machines, but in the Biz-jet market it is very tough if you dont have a connection or 1500+hrs. However, if you are prepared to travel the world, there are lots of U.S. companies that do contracts on C208's to 747's that you could work your way up in to get the required experience.
Good luck

Fair_Weather_Flyer
6th Apr 2006, 08:24
No, I don't think that you have much hope of finding work off the FAA CPL/IR. I have the FAA and JAA stuff myself. You say you will fly anything for a living; believe me, once you have, you may well have a change of heart. As for the jobs you were talking about, they are rare and for experienced pilots only. If you can't get the JAA FATPL, walk away.

I was also in a similar sitaution to you regarding eyesight. I had about 4.0D of astigmatism and could not get the class 1. I had LASIK to correct my vision and the CAA issued me with an unrestricted Class 1 medical. As far as permanent damage to your cornea goes. Don't take the CAA's word for it as they are not LASIK experts. Consult at least three surgeons, most offer free first time consultations. At the end of the day the risk is yours to weigh up. For me it worked out just fine!

AlexEvans
7th Apr 2006, 19:59
Thanks for the replies - they're both much appreciated.

At least I won't be kidding myself that I will find work in the UK. I've pretty much decided to go the FAA route and try to find work abroad (but probably not in the USA) to build up experience.

Fair weather flyer - I'm glad LASIK worked out for you. If my eyes did not have this 'endothelial abnormality' then I would also risk LASIK for sure. I've seen 2 eye doctors and 2 opticians and they can't agree whether there is a risk of accelerated corneal changes or not and the two that say there is a risk are unable to even give an indication of what that risk is. Frustrating! The last eye doc I saw said his conscience would not allow him to operate. Not exactly reassuring.

You say you will fly anything for a living; believe me, once you have, you may well have a change of heart.

LOL. I suspect you may be right. The thing is, tonight I'll be spending 10 hours flying my desk in a call centre. Being a pilot is my dream, I have to do it any way that I can. I don't want to spend the rest of my life beating myself up for not making it happen.

I would be very interested to find out about 'bottom of the ladder' flying jobs, (what they are like) especially ones that I could get with a new FAA CPL/IR. Are you able to point me in the right direction? In any case, thanks for your reply.

B200drvr - Thanks for the reply.

if you are prepared to travel the world, there are lots of U.S. companies that do contracts on C208's to 747's that you could work your way up in to get the required experience.

This sounds like a realistic way to achieve my ambition. Can you give me some idea of what my first job might be like?

Thanks,

Alex.

BritishGuy
7th Apr 2006, 23:19
It sounds like you're just searching for a better job as being in a call centre can be quite brain-numbing. But to be honest with you if you've decided to go the FAA way - then for sure, head out to Africa once you're done. Don't sit at home and apply - you'll NEVER get a job that way. Just go to Africa and hustle your way in. I've known many of my ex-students go there with 250 hours and an FAA ticket, and they're flying from C-172's-BE-1900 Turboprops. It can be done.

I'll definatly agree though - you WON'T fly ANYTHING for ANY amount of cash. Believe me, I was the same way. A few flying jobs later - I don't care what I fly as long as you show me the RIGHT amount of MONEY!!!

Best of luck anyway.

B200Drvr
8th Apr 2006, 12:05
Alex,
My recommendation would be to go to the US on and exchange program(J1 Visa) to a school that will hire you as an instructor after you have completed your training (www.flyaviator.com) is the one I attended in 2000. Then as Britishguy said, pack your bags after your 2 years is up and head to Southern Africa. I estimate you will have about 1500 hrs with some multi time. Get into a company flying C210/ C206, you might even be lucky enough to get straight onto a C402/ C208 or even P2 on a B200. That will give you the turbine time you need to head onto a B200/1900 or even a E120. It is not so much the final destination, but the journey that gets you there that will be the best and worst times of your life.
The industry also changes and what is not acceptable now, might well be in 3 years, so you would have got alot of valuable time and experiences, and may well end up flying a Biz- jet in UAE on your FAA ticket.
Good luck

Fair_Weather_Flyer
8th Apr 2006, 12:34
I agree that you can get work off the J-1 visa, I went that way myself. If you can get yourself married to an American woman while you're over there, then you can stay is the US. Remember, if you go down the US/Africa road, how will you get yourself back to the UK? Everyone wants to return home in the end. Keep exploring the LASIK option and at least get yourself a JAA Class 1, that's what I say.