PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu in the UK

colmac747
5th Apr 2006, 21:19
Jockistan to be precise:ooh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4881526.stm

As the crow flies:E , it's only a few miles from me!

Whirlygig
5th Apr 2006, 21:34
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4878198.stm

Good job they were practising in my neck of the woods but not yours sadly!

Let us know if you get the sniffles! Someone from Suffolk will be up there straight away; apparently they know what to do!

Cheers

Whirls

colmac747
5th Apr 2006, 21:39
Feckin BBC:mad:
Big banner splashed across the bottom: Scotland's Bird Flu clearly forgetting the fact that Jockistan is indeed part of the UK.
In other words, if England had the first official outbreak, it'd be: UK Bird Flu Arrives

:mad:

Whirlygig
5th Apr 2006, 21:56
You're probably right!

When I heard about the tests on the radio this morning, they were being held in Norfolk; Bernard Matthews airfields probably but since when was Bury St. Edmunds in Norfolk!

Cheers

Whirls

Bo Nalls
5th Apr 2006, 22:30
Oh well, here we go, I suppose it had to happen at some time or other. Let's hope the media reports this rationaly.

However, I expect to see some of the sensationalist tabloids going ballistic tomorrow :hmm:

green granite
5th Apr 2006, 22:38
Nice to know i'll be safe when I come to sulfolk in june for my hols :D

I thought BSE was in Essex myself :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
5th Apr 2006, 23:10
Ooer! :eek:

Unwell Raptor - are you feeling OK? I just sneezed :\

Whirlygig
5th Apr 2006, 23:16
Actually Shytorque, you ought to be a little worried yersel' :eek:

Cheers

Whirls

DC-10 Levo
5th Apr 2006, 23:18
However, I expect to see some of the sensationalist tabloids going ballistic tomorrow :hmm:

That's absolutely true. The Sun is already reporting it on their website.

G-CPTN
5th Apr 2006, 23:46
From The S*n:-
"If the HN51 virus — which can pass to humans — is confirmed a massive public protection operation will swing into action.
This could include people having to leave their homes and a restriction on where they can travel."

BALIX
6th Apr 2006, 02:34
Big banner splashed across the bottom: Scotland's Bird Flu clearly forgetting the fact that Jockistan is indeed part of the UK.
In other words, if England had the first official outbreak, it'd be: UK Bird Flu Arrives
Hang on a minute, don't you normally complain when it is the other way round :confused:

B Fraser
6th Apr 2006, 05:48

'tis the EBC, have you not noticed this before ?

Krystal n chips
6th Apr 2006, 07:39
From The S*n:-
"If the HN51 virus — which can pass to humans — is confirmed a massive public protection operation will swing into action.
This could include people having to leave their homes and a restriction on where they can travel."

Is the article about bird flu--or the long term obejctives of the Gov't ? :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, not too much of a problem for Scotland re the disposals of said birds----take one large tub of cooking oil, one large tub of batter---et voila ! ;) :E

steinycans
6th Apr 2006, 12:34
New laws passed through the house today here in New Zealand.

1)Police can arrest and detain anyone displaying birdflu

2)Nurses permitted to issue death certificates sight unseen

3)Resource Managment Act approval not required for mass grave sites

If there's anyone you dont like, make friends with a police officer and a nurse.

airship
6th Apr 2006, 12:45
colmac747, does a crow have flies?! ;)

I'm a little bewildered by the last part of the BBC report though: Dr David Nabarro, the UN bird flu co-ordinator, told News 24: "Over the last few weeks we've seen swans and other birds dying in Western Europe and being found to have this virus, H5N1, on board. So, it's quite to be expected you have a case appearing in Scotland." I think the "on board" part is taking things a little too far, a swan isn't exactly a passenger aircraft is it?! Next thing you know, they'll be arresting pax returning from their hols with tropical diseases under the pretence they were smuggling in illegal aliens... :p

PS. Sounds like something out of the 3rd Reich: 3)Resource Managment Act approval not required for mass grave sites :uhoh:

ComJam
6th Apr 2006, 12:48
My mate thought he'd caught "bird flu" yesterday.......

He went all irrational and burst into tears when he couldn't park the car!

:D :D :D

Conan the Librarian
6th Apr 2006, 12:54
It is thought that bird crap, plays a major part in the onward transmission of Bird Flu. The paths and patio here, have a fair old pile of it, which I normally deal with using a pressure washer. On Monday, we were slapped with a hosepipe ban. Great, innit?

Conan

colmac747
6th Apr 2006, 13:05
From the Beeb website:

Experts are to reveal whether the bird flu virus found in a Scotland swan is the UK's first case of the lethal H5N1 strain.:rolleyes:

They're good, eh?:ouch:

G-CPTN
6th Apr 2006, 13:36
Locals reportedly spotted the dead bird floating around in the water for several days with one women saying she had seen seagulls pecking at it.

The resident who found the dead swan washed on the shore at the pier told BBC Scotland she was concerned over an apparent lack of urgency shown by the authorities.

"When I found the dead bird, I called the police, who told me to phone the SSPCA, who in turn told me to phone Defra," said Tina Briscow, 68.

"It was over 12 hours later when someone came to collect the bird."

Scotland's Chief Veterinary Officer said the dead swan was decomposed and appeared to have been partially eaten.
From the BBC News website.

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 13:54
The Police couldn't catch a cold.

airship
6th Apr 2006, 13:57
What, not even if it was lurking on a special branch like?!

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 13:59
Nope, they wouldn't even twig then.

6th Apr 2006, 14:10
Is one of the first signs that you've caught bird flu, the fact that you start feeling peckish all day?

steinycans
6th Apr 2006, 14:10
They'd wait till tit monday.

airship
6th Apr 2006, 14:15
Is one of the first signs that you've caught bird flu, the fact that you start feeling peckish all day? Nope, it's when the PC starts nodding a lot...

G-CPTN
6th Apr 2006, 17:39
Residents of the sleepy fishing village of Cellardyke awoke this morning to find their harbour overtaken by media.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4883028.stm

airship
6th Apr 2006, 17:47
The press were there afore ye cock crowed?!

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 18:03
Cellardyke
I didn't say a word......:rolleyes:

green granite
6th Apr 2006, 18:32
Did any one else find tonights BBC news OTT 20 mins out of 30 devoted
to nothing but uninformed views

mmmmmm... bit like some of the pprune threads really :eek:

Jerricho
6th Apr 2006, 18:57
From the Beeb website: Experts are to reveal whether the bird flu virus found in a Scotland swan is the UK's first case of the lethal H5N1 strain

Aye. It was wearing a kilt and a dodgy red wig

http://www.interlinkbooks.com/NewMedia/MediumImagesJPEG/Tartan_Army_150.jpeg

Beagle-eye
6th Apr 2006, 19:25
Confirmed a short while ago that the swan did have the H5N1 virus. The "meedja" here in Scotland now seems be sending very mixed messages. After weeks of dire warnings about mass global pandemics with millions dying they are now saying, in true Dads Army fashion - "Don't Panic”.

Apparently the risk to the people in the area is “infinitesimally small". So what is the truth – are we all going to die or is it just another example of the media making the news ? :confused:

G-CPTN
6th Apr 2006, 19:27
are we all going to die
We're all going to die . . .

Beagle-eye
6th Apr 2006, 19:29
Oh bu99er :sad:

colmac747
6th Apr 2006, 19:34
The two dead swans found in a Glasgow park didn't have Bird Flu. Natural causes apparently. One had respitory problems ie blocked beak and the other had massive stomach bleeding ie Bird Flu entrapment...

Of course, that's nonsesne and the poor blighters have been whisked away for tests in Londonshire.

Speedpig
7th Apr 2006, 22:38
It is thought that bird crap, plays a major part in the onward transmission of Bird Flu...... advice from HMG... stop eating it!:}

SP

G-CPTN
7th Apr 2006, 22:47
What should you do if a bird craps on your head?

Don't ask her out again.

Grayfly
8th Apr 2006, 09:08
'Scotland's Chief Veterinary Officer said the dead swan was decomposed and appeared to have been partially eaten.'
Was it a Norwegian Blue? :uhoh:

G-CPTN
9th Apr 2006, 04:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4892382.stm

BlueWolf
9th Apr 2006, 04:32
If they keep crying wolf like this (Y2K/SARS/Greenhouse Gases/Bird Flu/AIDS/The Devil/Witches/Werewolves/Peak Oil etc etc etc), what's going to happen if we ever have a real disease/problem/cause for concern?

Will the people, bored to tears and suffering panic fatigue, simply ignore it?

G-CPTN
9th Apr 2006, 04:35
MINISTERS are drawing up plans for widespread closure of schools to halve a potential 100,000 deaths among children in the event of an avian-flu pandemic.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25149-2126143,00.html

Dr Illitout
9th Apr 2006, 07:22
I think it's a con, done by the Scottish tourist board!!!!
This small fishing village that no one as ever heard about, is now FULL of journo's on full expenses!. Every guest house and hotel for miles is full. Every chippy and resturaunt is full. Don't forget journo's are all pi**heads too so the pub's will be doing a roaring trade. I bet you the locals are.........(Better not say that bit;) )
Any way it's only a swan. The only person who should be worried is the Queen, she loves her swan sarnies.

Rgds Dr.I