PDA

View Full Version : Why wont Cathay call...

SIC
5th Apr 2006, 15:47
Met some new Cathay Second officers the other day. Made me all sour that most of them had never even flown a jet - as oppose to me and some guys I know who have 2000+ hours of jet time ( most widebody, international, winglet, glass cockpit, auto speedbrake etc etc etc) 30 or so years old and looking just as good as anybody else on paper. AND WE CANT EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW?
HOw does this company decide who to invite and who not??:\

UlsterPPL
5th Apr 2006, 16:17
In that case, most likely that the ones you met are cadet pilots who are sponsored by Cathay themselves and just starting their line training and duties. As a hong Kong based airline, it is Cathay's commitment to train some aspired local HK citizen to become pilot. I don't think they are direct entry to second officer as low hour candidates with CPL/IR still need to go through the whole cadet pilot program again with Cathay. By the way, are they all Chinese?

Start4&3
5th Apr 2006, 16:27
Be patience, it took them 8 years to call me for an interview and it took them 2 weeks to decide that I wasn't good enough for them. :ouch:

VVJM265
5th Apr 2006, 18:27
Be patience, it took them 8 years to call me for an interview and it took them 2 weeks to decide that I wasn't good enough for them. :ouch:

Well that should make everyone feel hopeful! Hope things work out for you elsewhere.

WaldoPepper
6th Apr 2006, 07:35
In that case, most likely that the ones you met are cadet pilots who are sponsored by Cathay

Not quite true, When i was interviewed early 2004, only 1 of the 7 had any jet experience and we were all DESO's.

I know lots of people interviewed with no jet time and lots who have been given a job.

Being persistant plays a big role. Keep updating and come and visit the recruiters in HK. Don't just be a number, stand out a bit.

It took me 6 years of applying to get an interview.

Good luck

WX Man
6th Apr 2006, 08:07
When you say, go and visit the recruiters in HK... do you mean go the recruitment shows in HK?

Or maybe go to recruitment shows anywhere... like London?

WaldoPepper
6th Apr 2006, 08:21
I mean come to Hong Kong, call CX recruitment, and set up a time to have a little chat.

Just tell them you'd like to introduce yourself in person rather than being just a PRN. They are normally more than happy to accommodate if they have time. I and many others have done this and it's not as scary as it sounds.

My wife was with me at the time (we stayed in HK for a week) so we both went along and ended up talking for almost an hour. Let them know you are seeing what HK is like to live, if you happen to get a job with them.

Wear a suit.

Good luck