PDA

View Full Version : books? (PPL CPL-IR)

fly.flyco
5th Apr 2006, 15:38
hello!

which books did you use the most for your PPL-CPL-IR
there are so many books... I 'd like to start learning at home...
any titles?

Thanks! :ok:

High Wing Drifter
5th Apr 2006, 15:50
PPL: The Trevor Thom series 1,2,3,4 and 5 for the IMC, CAP413 and "Human Factors for Pilots " (Greer, Muir, James)

CPL/IR: Ground school notes suplemented with "Handling the Big Jets" (D.P.Davies). Keynotes for Pilots (CPL and IR) and Thom 5 again for the IR.

With serving on the side of Stick and Rudder.

Cool_Hand
5th Apr 2006, 15:51
Most people use the Trevor Thom series for the PPL, I don't know whether there is a French equivalent or not. But for the CPL-IR, most go with the schools materials, ie Bristol Ground School or Oxford Air Training notes, but these materials are included in the course cost.

But if you're starting the PPL begin with the Trevor Thom Series.

fly.flyco
5th Apr 2006, 19:46
Can Trevor Tom books be used for FAA PPL? what about ASA and Gleim series..?

Gordon Bennet
6th Apr 2006, 04:28
The Luftahansa people use JAR Private Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher. There is a version for the CPL/ATPL called JAR Professional Pilot Studies. I got mine from Transair but I have seen it elsewhere.

Gord

Happy Wanderer
7th Apr 2006, 09:33
The Thom books seem to be favoured by the establishment, but it really boils down to what sort of learner you are.

If you're more of a 'visual' learner as I am, have a look at the Jeremy Pratt series from AFE. They're quite new and contain loads more pics and diagrams than the Thom books which when I looked at them, seemd overly text laden. The Pratt series also claim "to be recommended by the CAA in the annual LASORS advice for pilots" (back cover).

The one and only criticism I would have of the Pratt books is that the written text is quite small - I say this as someone who works in the training industry with a lot of experience of creating training materials.

If you do go for the Pratt books, get them on Amazon. They're much cheaper than what you'd pay at Waterstones, Transair etc.

HW