PDA

View Full Version : Cairo to Sharm el Sheikh

KC-10 Driver
5th Apr 2006, 15:24
Does anyone here know what reputable airlines fly between HECA and HESH? I know about Egyptair -- looking for other options (which I'd feel comfortable flying my family on!).

Thanks.

Atcham Tower
7th Apr 2006, 18:47
I believe only Egyptair flies Cairo-Sharm. According to my son, who worked at Sharm for a while, the flights are often over-booked. The only alternative, apart from a taxi, is a 220 mile bus journey.

cavortingcheetah
7th Apr 2006, 20:20
:eek:

Just nipped in to the UK from Cairo. Took three internal flights on Egypt Air. Never appreciated BA so much in all my life as when I got on their early flight to LHR yesterday. Nothing particularily dangerous, you understand, just wondered on one internal flight just what was flying whom.
Driving in Egypt is difficult. Nearly all distance journeys must be conducted in armed convoys with frequent security checks. Convoys depart at specific, but unexplainedly variable, times of the day, are not really that much fun and take time. Quite frankly, I'd hold on to my courage and take the flight. Air Memphis now defunct, bits of its fleet strewn everywhere, Egypt Air your only airborne option. It's probably safer than road travel anyway, given the lunacy of the motorists. Watch out at night! Many Egyptian drivers do not use lights at all at any time. It saves on bulbs but plays hell with pedestrian statistics.
If you read Arabic script you'll be able to read the prayer that appears on the moniter screen both before take off and after landing.
Just a thought though - cannot you fly direct to HESH from the UK ? I deduce that you are dive bound? The long haul Egypt Air crews are rather different from the tarts' knickers variety.:D

airmemphis
10th Apr 2006, 13:18
KC-10 Driver, Egyptair are the only scheduled operator on domestic flights. They operate at least 4 daily rotations on the CAI-SSH-CAI sector with a mixture of A320s and A330s. The likes of PAS and AMC Airlines operate on the route but on a charter basis and you have to contact them directly to book but they can be expensive.

cavortingcheetah, Air Memphis are not defunt. The airline operate 2 A320s on charter flights to Europe and an ex-US Airways DC-9 on the Abu Simbel-Aswan shuttle service. The airline are about to lease a 3rd A320 in the next couple of months.