Sadly no longer 24 hours from Tulsa - died this morning in Wales
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4878926.stm

Duchess_Driver
5th Apr 2006, 12:28
Something got a hold of his heart then!

pigboat
5th Apr 2006, 14:02
Damn! Sorry to hear that. :(
I always liked Gene Pitney, got a couple of his albums around here someplace. My favourite of his was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Binoculars
5th Apr 2006, 14:30
Just finished watching a tear jerker, wandered over to the poota and saw the news. It struck a real nerve. No, I didn't have any of his albums, but I knew all his hits; they were part of my growing up, a process some would say never happened. No cause of death mentioned, but no suspicious circumstances, often the euphemism for suicide.

I hope not, I really do. I don't know any of his personal circumstances, but a life spent touring beer-soaked clubs recycling songs from 35-40 years ago always struck me as a very sad way to live, and to think of him taking his own life in some motel far from home is even sadder.

Perhaps he had a loving wife and family, loved his work and died of natural causes. I certainly hope so. Thanks for the memories Gene. RIP.

strafer
5th Apr 2006, 15:09
No cause of death mentioned, but no suspicious circumstances, often the euphemism for suicide.Is it? I would have thought it suggested natural causes.

By the way he was in South Wales, not NSW! He was playing the National concert hall and staying at the Hilton.

However, they are quite messy the Welsh, so it may well have been beer-soaked.

MelbPilot85
5th Apr 2006, 15:57
I just bought his album the other day, then saw it in the news today! Strange like that. Anyway, he has/had some awesome songs, Princess in Rags, Liberty Valance, Half Heaven Half Heartache to name just a few. RIP

djk
5th Apr 2006, 17:46
I used to live 24 minutes from Tulse Hill

tilewood
5th Apr 2006, 20:34
One of the greats, another brick in the wall!!

Rollingthunder
5th Apr 2006, 20:45
I believe he did the theme song for the film "A Town Without Pity" Song named the same. A powerful tune for a powerful film. You never see the movie on tV and would be hard pressed to find it in a video shop.

tart1
5th Apr 2006, 22:57
Whenever I hear 24 hours from Tulsa it transports me back to childhood - it is one of my earliest song memories.

Also love Something's Got a Hold of My Heart. Very evocative stuff for me. Sad news. :{ :{

henry crun
5th Apr 2006, 23:07
How sad.
He belonged to an era when, for the most part, the lyrics meant something and could be understood because a good voice was necessary if a singer was to make an impression.

tony draper
6th Apr 2006, 01:40
Always strikes me its a strange sort of life these people lead,they generaly aquire great wealth and fame at a relatively young age,many of them like The Stones or Macca have more money than any sane human being could possibly spend in two lifetimes yet they go on, endless final concerts and come backs,it cannot be the money that draws them,they seem to crave the adoration of a audience like a drug,not saying this applies to Mr Pitney,just making a observation,I can't think of anyone who has made a pile and just dissapeared into the sunset and gone to live in Tahiti or somewhere,but I suppose there must be.
:(

tinpis
6th Apr 2006, 03:08
I can't think of anyone who has made a pile and just dissapeared into the sunset and gone to live in Tahiti or somewhere,but I suppose there must be.

Marlon Brando
================================
Always got Gene mixed up with Roy Orbison.

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 08:26
James Cagney.

He just packed it in and went fishing.

Newforest
6th Apr 2006, 14:45
Tinpis
Gene Pitney was in that show, the story was manipulated to get him in as a friend of Roy Orbison, nevertheless he provided a very entertaining interlude, with a couple of comments about splitting his jeans, now does anyone remember that incident?
Probably the '60's version of a "wardrobe malfunction"

Are you sure that wasn't P.J.Proby?

Capt.KAOS
6th Apr 2006, 14:48
Gene Pitney...Prince of Pain...these memories....*sigh*

Dell Shannon is in the same league.

djk
6th Apr 2006, 15:04
Such a sad time for him to go so early on.
40 years in the music biz is one hell of an achievement. Considering there have been plenty that have taken loads of drugs and drank heavily in comparrison it's surprising that someone like Pitney could just die like that.

No cause of death mentioned, but no suspicious circumstances, often the euphemism for suicide.

I don't think it was suicide, sounds to me more like a heart attack

I have a feeling this year will lay claim to quite a few singing sensations of the 60's
Lou Rawls died near the start of the year, Billy Preston and Levi Stubbs are both currently in a fairly bad state.

G-CPTN
6th Apr 2006, 15:33
I have a feeling this year will lay claim to quite a few singing sensations of the 60's
Lou Rawls died near the start of the year, Billy Preston and Levi Stubbs are both currently in a fairly bad state.
Cue a Brown Bread thread?

djk
6th Apr 2006, 15:43
Cue a Brown Bread thread?

Could be a good idea. Then again being signed up in about 5 different dead pools, I sort of have a morbid interest in this matter :)

djk
6th Apr 2006, 18:02
It takes 4 days to make Pitney's coffin from oak, but only 24 hours from balsa

acbus1
6th Apr 2006, 18:07
Thank goodness......some light humour. :)

Newforest
7th Apr 2006, 18:12

You have got a good point there, who's next, Elvis?:p

Kalium Chloride
8th Apr 2006, 08:39
BBC says that a post-mortem has shown Gene Pitney died from natural causes.

Which means that a heart attack and suicide were...

...not, not, notta responsible. :p

Binoculars
8th Apr 2006, 08:53
What's Helen Shapiro got to do with this? :confused: :confused:

I'm glad to hear that KCl, but if a heart attack isn't "natural causes", what on earth is it?

Kalium Chloride
8th Apr 2006, 09:01
What's Helen Shapiro got to do with this?

Nothing...but it's on my "Very Best of GP" album.

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 01:29
"a post mortem confirmed he died from heart disease"

djk
13th Apr 2006, 16:34
You have got a good point there, who's next, Elvis?:p

June Pointer, youngest of The Pointer Sisters died a couple of days ago and now Billy Preston is reported to be gravely ill. Not much time left for him it seems

Ozzy
13th Apr 2006, 16:39
did not have Gene or the Pointy Sister in my Dead Pool. Buggah.

Ozzy

strafer
13th Apr 2006, 16:40
What's Billy Preston's wife getting for Christmas?

A smaller turkey.

djk
13th Apr 2006, 17:33
did not have Gene or the Pointy Sister in my Dead Pool. Buggah.
Ozzy

Same here, I think Pitney's death wasn't expected, certainly Pitney himself didn't see it coming and I think June Pointer's condition was kept hushed up and possibly known only to family and close friends.

rowdyyates
13th Apr 2006, 17:36
The bloke wot shot Liberty Valance got 15 years

fokker
13th Apr 2006, 19:46
According to the paper wot I read on the beach in Spain the next day, he had a fab concert and brilliant reception from the audience - the best for some time, apparently - then, citing tiredness, went up to his room for a rest. It seemed that he had laid down on his pit and simply died.

Apart from being only 65, it doesn't get much better than that, as ways to go, go.

RIP, Gene. The soundtrack to my childhood.

glhcarl
14th Apr 2006, 03:55
I was a real Gene Pitney fan when I was in high school (mid 60's). When I went to work in the UK in 1999 I was really surprized to hear he was still performing. I am sorry I was not able to catch one of his concerts before I retired. But "Only Love Can Break a Heart"

RIP Gene.

acbus1
14th Apr 2006, 16:31
Died in Wales.

Might have been worse.

Could've been born there. :ugh: