PDA

View Full Version : WA flyaway must visits.

compressor stall
5th Apr 2006, 09:56
Honeymoon is fast approaching :ooh: and need to do some flight planning for the following flight in a 172 (over 5 weeks from mid May):

Jandakot
Meekatharra (fuel)
Newman (fuel) then Rudall River to camp
Fitzroy Crossing (fuel)
Mornington Wilderness Lodge overngiht.
Halls Creek (fuel)
Bungles (Bellburn, camp, walking for a couple of days in the Bungles)
VRD (Fuel)
Victoria River Crossing (camp, walking)
Timber Creek (overnight)
Bradshaw/Fitzmaurice River (overfly)
Kununurra (fuel, overnight)
ElQuestro (overnight)
Mitchell Plateau (camp - 2-3 days walking around the falls)
Prince Regent NR Glenlelg River/George Water (Kingsford-Smith's forced landing site, Coffee Royal Affair) (overfly)
Mt Hart (overnight)
Mt Elizabeth (overnight few nights walking??)
Derby (fuel)
Cape Leveque (overnight)
Broome (fuel)
LaGrange ???
Wallal Downs???
Pardoo Station???
Port Headland (fuel, overnight)
Exmouth (overnight)
Coral Bay (overnight)
Carnarvon
Shark Bay
Woolen Station
Kalbarri
Geraldton (fuel)
Jandakot. :E

Now based on the above outline, what are some other "not to miss" ALAs, strips and stations etc that we should stop at en route? We'll be splitting the time between nice places and camping under the wing; we are very interested in remote ALA's, well removed from civilisation, maybe station strips and the like.

I'll be updating this route as info comes to hand. Some stuff obviously is to be confirmed with phone calls strip conditions etc. Places marked with a ?? are airstrips I have found on Google Earth or 1:250K topo maps, know nothing about and have a preliminary interest in.... Any updated info/contact details would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :ok:

P.S. Woomera, hopefully this might be a useful "knowledge bank" for those planning WA flyaways....

(edited to update route)

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Apr 2006, 10:02
Wooleen station is nice.

FJ44
5th Apr 2006, 10:10
You have Victoria River on your list, not sure where you mean there but Victoria River Downs Station is a great spot, drop in around 10:30 for smoko at Heli-Muster, a not to be missed event, and a friendly crew to share a cuppa with.:ok:

compressor stall
5th Apr 2006, 10:24
Victoria River Xing was what I meant. There used to be a strip next to the roadhouse, took a 210 in there once, dusty as all #$%^.

Had not intended to head as far south as VRD although it could come in handy for fuel after a trip up Vic River Gorge :E Do they still sell AVGAS to passing traffic?

It's good to hear that they are still a friendly bunch there; they were when I was working for Helimuster. :ok:

DX Wombat
5th Apr 2006, 10:58
CFI beat me to it :D Of all the places we visited on the RFDS Outback Air Safari Wooleen Station was the prettiest and we were made most welcome :ok: Have a look at a few of the photos I took:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/OutbackAirSafari2003059.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/OutbackAirSafari2003064.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/OutbackAirSafari2003062.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/OutbackAirSafari2003065.jpg
The view coming in to land in Daisy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/OutbackAirSafari2003057.jpg
Congratulations too to you, I must have missed any announcement. If you want somewhere absolutely MILES (even by Oz standards) away from anywhere, have a look at Truscott but check the landing fees first as I think they were something absolutely astronomical - like A$500! It is an old, secret WW2 base right out in the NW of WA and can only be reached by barge or by aircraft. I believe it is also a National Trust site.

rmcdonal
5th Apr 2006, 12:03
Would put down VRD over victoria river. Nice people :ok: , good strip, give Heli-muster a call before you drop in to organise the fuel (they still sold last time I was there to passing aircraft just as long as you gave them a call to sort out payment before you arrive) and a place to stay if your interested. Then you can follow the river up to the crossing and stop in there for lunch.
Have a good flight(s) :) :)

InTransit
5th Apr 2006, 12:19
Seeing as though you're going to be in the area, pay the lovely Annabelle and Taffy a visit at Mt Hart (north of fitzroy xing). You'll need to give them a call before you get there (firstly for permission, and secondly so they can cook you something), but it's worth the effort!

compressor stall
5th Apr 2006, 12:32
Cheers guys and girls, VRD, Mt Hart, Woolen Station now added to the list. Keep 'em coming! :ok:

Miss Heli
6th Apr 2006, 02:04
I'm SO jealous. That sounds like an excellent trip.

You are probably already aware of it, but there is a Country Airstrip Guide WA that has info on unlicensed landing areas. It is around $40 bucks from memory.

Have a great journey.

Hawk777
6th Apr 2006, 02:10
If your staying at Mt Hart for the night I'd highly recomend taking a couple of hours and flying NW to the Horizontal Waterfalls and Koolan And Cockatoo Island. Taffy generally has drums of fuel there so you may even be able to bypass Derby and fly around the coast from Mt Hart to Cape Leveque. Have a look at either the King Leo or Broome Aviation website to see where they go. Most of their stops are great places to go. Windjanna George for instance would be a great place to camp and it's only a short walk from the airstrip.

Have fun:ok:

air med
6th Apr 2006, 08:28
Stallia
Just use your RFDS strip guide that you most likely kept and go from there.
lets us know what time you coming to meeka and we will have the lamingtons there for you.

Lord Snot
6th Apr 2006, 12:18
What about Tjun Tjun Tjarra... another not-to-be-missed, little gem of the outback.

A little low on slope there at Daisy, wouldn't you say....:(

Richo
6th Apr 2006, 12:52
Hay stallie

with all the rain and a nother bloody cyclone (6 this season) most of the strips between MOG and Telefer are under water. Only the majors are open at the moment.

Recommend tak eyou rubber duckie,, NO i said DUCKIE.

Richo

disco_air
6th Apr 2006, 12:57
Recommend:

Drysdale Cattle Station (eat the Kimberley Burger and get yourself a bull scrotum stubbie cooler) :=

and Faraway Bay :cool:

Great places to stay or visit!

...Disco

DX Wombat
6th Apr 2006, 18:19
A little low on slope there at Daisy, wouldn't you say....:(
You will have to ask Wiz about that but I think it is probably the angle the photo is taken from which makes it look like that. It is also a big strip and that little white dot towards the far end of it is the PC12.

Lord Snot
6th Apr 2006, 19:00
Well at the very least, then, how about a little Mr. Sheen on that windshield....??

I can't see that FliegenWagen for all the fly carcasses... :cool:

compressor stall
6th Apr 2006, 23:57
air med Stoopid stoopid me forgot to take a copy with me when I left didn't I!!!! Anyway, we're planning on spending the night at Meeka on night one (Monday 16 June) so catch up for a beer (and lamingtons :hmm: ).

lord snot I have been to tjuntjun too many times (although once I actually drove through there voluntarily to get up to the Anne Beadell). I did think of grabbing fuel at the new strip at the community roadhouse on the Anne Beadell, but it's too far south. And I don't think wiz is too low on approach - he rarely flies higher than that!

Heli, Hawk, Disco and Richo - thanks for the suggestions. I did put staying at Faraway Bay to the mrs2b, but the said she'd rather spend the money flying further in the aircraft and camping! :ok:

Chadzat
7th Apr 2006, 04:42
"I did put staying at Faraway Bay to the mrs2b, but the said she'd rather spend the money flying further in the aircraft and camping! "

I think you have just found the ultimate wife mate! :ok:

Towering Q
7th Apr 2006, 08:09
Stallie...the strip for Well 33 is a long way from the community of Kunawaratji. Can't remember the exact distance but it took forever in the troopy.
You can make a call from the worlds loneliest phonebox along the way.:eek:
Not sure if the community has avgas. If they do and you want someone to meet you it pays to buzz them several times. I sat around for an eternity in 45 plus heat until one of my pax remembered he had a sat phone in his bag.:mad:

compressor stall
7th Apr 2006, 08:53
Hey TQ! How's things?

Spoke to them yesterday - they only have 3 drums of out of date AVGAS :{
Capricorn roadhouse can put a drum out at well 23, but there's no strip there... :mad:

Might now go from Newman, Rudall River then Fitzroy Xing or Hells Crack....

DX Wombat
7th Apr 2006, 10:31
And I don't think wiz is too low on approach - he rarely flies higher than that!
How true Stallie, he suffers from severe disorientation and vertigo if required to fly above 50' agl, except when flying at 9,500' (just joking in case some of you think otherwise) :* It's all the sheep and cattle chasing that does it. :\ Can't you borrow a copy of that guide from someone? Why not ask the RFDS at YPJT if they would lend you one? :ok:
Lord Snot the windscreen was beautifully clean when we set out and was cleaned again before we set off on the next stage. Daisy is well cared for :ok: oh yes, those were rain drop marks not deceased insects :*

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Apr 2006, 06:06
You own your own aircraft? If not, who did you get to rent you for that long? Min hours per day?? I was planning on doing a trip like that a few years ago, but I went to the pub a few times and somehow all my money dissappeared :O
P.s. I agree, looks low on slope :D

JUZ777
8th Apr 2006, 06:45
Hope you know someone out at Timber creek to pick you up as its a bit of a walk into town from the airstrip.. (I know from exp :{) Enjoy your trip, sounds great..

multime
8th Apr 2006, 23:04
Mount Elizabeth STN
Smack bang in the middle of the Gibb river road. Situated at the south eastern end of the Prince Regent national park. Awesome scenary and a flight over the cascdes and down the escarpments is not to be missed. Then a short hop to Mitchell falls. Bacston falls in my opinion would out do mitchell at any time of year. beaut on the ground and air. Plenty of secluded spots and Bradshaw rock art to look at too if interested.
Pete @ Pat lacey great dte people.
Cheers
M:ok:

the wizard of auz
9th Apr 2006, 08:18
Low on the slope?????????? hell, that was cruise alt. I hadn't intercepted the slope yet. ;)
Bugs weren't there when I took off. they are just inconsiderate bugs around that part of the world, and non of the pax were willing to get out and clean it during the flight. :uhoh:

kimwestt
9th Apr 2006, 11:06
Try Windjana Gorge, due east of Derby - facilities 2/10 - gorge 9/10.

compressor stall
9th Apr 2006, 11:35
Thanks for the continued suggestions! Will be adding them to the list. It's not the strip data that I actually want at this point - it's the recommendations of where to go! The RFDS strip guide mentions nothing of scenic beauty and friendliness of locals :}

PAF - not mine - it's a mate of a mate's private aircraft. We'll be doing about 40 hours in 5 weeks.

JUZ777 - know a few people in Timber - used to work there! I used to rollerblade along the highway in the evenings from the pub to the strip and back. Spectacular light on the escarpments, and funny looks from tourists in greyhound busses.... :suspect:

Multime - Mt Elizabeth definitely on the list. Where's Bacston falls, is it on the station?

Cheers

CS

PLE Always
9th Apr 2006, 20:42
Hey Compressor Stall!

Making me home sick you are! :{

My thoughts on a few of the places on your list..

Had the pleasure of being broken down IVO Exmouth last year for a few days. We headed out to Turquoise Bay in Ningaloo Marine Park. You hop in the water and let the current drift you along over the reef, just magic. Worth a day trip even if the Whale Sharks aren't there.

http://www.exmouthwa.com.au/pages.asp?code=24

Kalbarri Gorge is stunning too.

http://www.naturebase.net/national_parks/previous_parks_month/kalbarri.html

My wife and I spent four or five nights at Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort and had an awesome time. The Shotover catamaran eco trip is well worth the time, especially the sunset trip!

http://www.monkeymia.com.au/home.htm

Enjoy! :ok:

PLE...

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Apr 2006, 07:56
Hey Stallie - she sounds like a good'un......
http://www.orsm.net/fem/2006/politicallyincorrect/images/politicallyincorrect14.jpg

wigga
11th Apr 2006, 13:20
Mount Augustus Resort

dmussen
13th Apr 2006, 02:16
Cockatoo is interesting. The strip is only 600m and has a challenging change of gradient about quarter length from its eastern end. Not for the faint hearted but great fun. There is an interesting wet mess too.

Beagle Bay is worth a stop just to take a look at the old mission church.

Enjoy Leveque. The fishing is unreal.

Was at Truscott a couple of months ago. It's used by customs and crew changes for the Timor oil/gas industry. It felt expensive.

Enjoy the trip. It sounds wonderful.

compressor stall
13th Apr 2006, 02:51
What's on Cockatoo that's worth seeing? Is there anywhere to stay, and what's worth doing there (besides fish!).

Cheers

CS

tinpis
13th Apr 2006, 03:08
What's on Cockatoo that's worth seeing? Is there anywhere to stay, and what's worth doing there (besides fish!)

Nuthin'

http://www.iristours.com.au/airtours/leo001-3.jpg

dmussen
13th Apr 2006, 03:31
Tinpis is right. The strip is probably the most interesting thing about Cockatoo and I don't think the mining company like strangers too much. Nowhere to stay.

tinpis
13th Apr 2006, 03:55
Tin likes Kunnununununurrarara.
Fishing is good magic countryside.

Go for a burn down the Fitzmaurice river at low level ...nice country lottsa crocs..

Timber Creek....:hmm: Stallie I feel sorry for yas..flat as a **** carters hat and nothing worth seeing.

tin wouldnt visit any further south lotta bad men specially in Perth.

http://www.mochasteak.com/puerto_vallarta/con-man.jpg

compressor stall
13th Apr 2006, 04:16
Fitzmaurice...mmmm...funny how many of my charters from TBR-PKT or PUA used to be timed to get back to TBR about sunset. Flying through that country at sunset was incredible.... we will definitely redo it at sunset this time around. The home of the (late) original crocodile dundee hey! :}

I still reckon that the Victoria River takes the cake on the croc front - my record was 34 between TBR and the Angalari junction (Bradshaw).

I don't think I will be lucky enough with the tides to get the tidalwave going up the rivers though - the one day I did not have my camera with me was the day the biggest wave I ever saw was surging up the vic, past entrance island. Would not want to have been in a boat with that on its way up :ugh:

Thanks for the heads up on Cockatoo...might raincheck and spend the hrs/time elsewhere.

tinpis
13th Apr 2006, 04:49
Tin first forty pound barra at the Angalari and very smartly whisked into the tinny I might add http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/croc.gif

Aerlik
14th Apr 2006, 09:35
Ummmm, Taffy is on his own at Mt. Hart these days.:ugh:

Re. fuel there, better check with the two Broome companies that fly in there as they own it, not Taffy.

Agree with sentiments re. Mt. Elizabeth station. Pretty awesome place in pretty awesome country. It you do go there, invest in the book about the history of the station. Bloody hard yakka.

If you fly to Broome just watch for the prats that call themselves pilots...you'll be tripping over them as they lick arse.

ThoughtCrime
15th Apr 2006, 02:52
If you fly to Broome just watch for the prats that call themselves pilots...you'll be tripping over them as they lick arse.

I was only aware of arselickers in Kununurra? :} There's only a couple there now of course.

TC

wrongwayaround
15th Apr 2006, 02:52
I'm personally offended by this last message - being a former Broome aviator. That was an unnecessary.

Back to the subject. I've personally flown to most of the North WA places you mention. I'd actually recommend you fly to Cockatoo Island, but ring Cockatoo Island first to see if they'd mind (Henry Walker Eltin - (08) 9191 7511). They have an excellent swimming pool. If you're flying to the Horizontal Waterfalls, Cockatoo is only a hop, skip and a jump away :) And this time of year be vigilant with other traffic and radio. In the West Kimberley area there all the airstrips use CTAF 127.2 (I've met alot of Private Pilot using 126.7)

A very big pity about the recent events at Mt Hart. They made the best lunch there, for the day trips. Simply amazing...

Have a good trip

wwa

disco_air
15th Apr 2006, 02:59
Stallie

Heard of Kachana Station?

You'll need to know what you're doing, have a suitable a/c and permission from the owners but awesome country there.

...Disco