PDA

View Full Version : PSO routes in EU

CargoOne
4th Apr 2006, 21:43
Could anyone enlight me on the question which EU (+Norway +Swiss if applicable) countries have air service on PSO (Public Service Obligation) routes? Good informative links or examples of current PSO routes in particular countries would be much appreciated.

MarkD
5th Apr 2006, 03:09
CargoOne

Several PSO routes in Ireland. DUB-KIR/GWY/NOC/SXL/CFN/LDY. Aer Arann and Loganair operate the routes.

The Official Journal of the European Communities will have tender notices giving the specs for each - google is your friend. The PSO terms have changed over the years, becoming more restrictive over time in expectations.

Cyrano
5th Apr 2006, 08:17
Other PSO examples: some Norwegian domestic routes, several Scottish Highlands-and-Islands routes, and a variety of French services (mainland-to-Corsica and IIRC something international from Strasbourg).

virginblue
5th Apr 2006, 11:39
In Germany, ERF-MUC (by C9), RLG-MUC (by D5), RLG-CGN (by D5), HOQ-FRA (by IQ) come to mind. KEL-MUC (by C9) also gets subsidies, but I am not sure whether it is a true PSO route or just a marketing support (cannot remember that the route was tendered offered Europe-wide as required). Also a couple of routes from ERF served by HE (they serve HAM, DUS, CGN) get subsidies, but again, I am not sure if they are real PSO routes (I think at least some ). The two routes from RLG were recently awarded to D5, before they were served by C9. Apparently C9 competed for the tender together with Lativan Air Baltic, but in the end D5 won.

In Italy, flights from Sardinia to the mainland are PSO routes, hence the recent outcry by the incumbents when Ryanair started competing services (which usually indicates that there is no need for subsidies). I think there used to be more than a dozen PSO routes from the three Sardinian airports. Also services from Sicily to the outyling islands are PSO routes.

In Sweden, services from Stockholm to Gällivare, Hemavan, Hagfors, Sveg and Torsby are PSOs, plus some others.

In Greece, some smaller islands have PSO routes to ATH, like Leros, Milos, Skiros, Astypalea, Ikaria

CargoOne
6th Apr 2006, 08:23
Many thanks!