View Full Version : J1 Visa eligibility?

chester2005
4th Apr 2006, 01:22
I apologise in advance as this topic has been discussed before but I have searched the archives and the internet and have not found a satisfactory answer to my query.
Hopefully you good people will be able to help or at least point me in the right direction.:ok: :ok:
Firstly I am a UK citizen and resident.
If you hold a FAA CPL(H) can you apply for a J1 visa as an "exchange visitor " looking to gain experience??:confused:
If not, can you apply for a H visa as a commercial pilot or CFI.:O
If not, how do you go about getting some sort of Visa or work permit to be a CFI at a flight school that has told me they will probably employ me if I had such a Visa /work permit.:(
The school is not SEVIS registered so an M1 is out .
Apart from marriage (too late) how does one get a chance to work in the USA as a pilot??:confused: :confused:
Thanks in advance and anybody please feel free to PM me with any helpful hints or tips or advice.
Chester:ok: :ok:

Revolutionary
4th Apr 2006, 03:22
As far as I can remember, you're not eligible for a J-1 Visa if you already hold a US CPL. The most you can have is a US PPL. An H Visa may be a possibility but generally the only people who succeed in getting one are already employed as a CFI by a flight school (usually with a J-1 Visa), have done a decent job, and are able to convince their boss to help them out. I don't want to kick you when you're down but: why didn't you research the Visa situation before you got your US CPL?

mortennb
4th Apr 2006, 05:11
I don't want to kick you when you're down but: why didn't you research the Visa situation before you got your US CPL?

I have to agree with that. :uhoh: Most school's tell you this if they want your best outcome.
Most people coming to the US on a M1 is people who are only interested in taking education and than leave again.
You are not qualified for the J-1 visa if you have more than PPL-H + 70 hours I think.
Doesn't matter where your license is from.
If it helps, you are allowed to come to the US on a J-1 if you want to take fixed wind. But not rotorwing anymore.

Gotagivitago
4th Apr 2006, 05:32
G'day folks,
mortennb
So does that mean that you can get a J1 visa to do a fixed wing conversion if you currently hold a CPL(H)? Because apparently our "Brothers in Arms" won't let you get a J1 visa to do an instructor rating over there if you hold a CPL(H).:{ :sad:
Whilst on the subject, what visa would I need to apply for to be able to complete an instructor rating in the U.S and also work as an instructor.
Any help appreciated.
Gotagivitago:ok:

HillerBee
4th Apr 2006, 07:15
I'm sorry if I bring you down but;

Strictly speaking you cannot apply for a J-1, because as said before you already have a CPL. If you want to and another class (fixed wing) that doesn't matter because you are a commercial pilot.

However it's up to the school to decide, I know of schools that still get you the J-1. The only thing you can do is talk to the schools.

It's not possible to apply for a H visa yourself. You have to be sponsored ie. you employer has to apply. The chances of getting a H visa as a pilot are very slim. The employer has to prove that he can't find a qualified American. So unless you have some very particular qualifications you'll have a problem.

If you fly say EMS and you have more than 2500 hours, multi exp. ex. mil. You might have a chance in EMS in remote areas. The same goes for Alaska, it's easier there, but you need to be (over) qualified.

mortennb
4th Apr 2006, 14:44
G'day folks,
mortennb
So does that mean that you can get a J1 visa to do a fixed wing conversion if you currently hold a CPL(H)? Because apparently our "Brothers in Arms" won't let you get a J1 visa to do an instructor rating over there if you hold a CPL(H).:{ :sad:
Whilst on the subject, what visa would I need to apply for to be able to complete an instructor rating in the U.S and also work as an instructor.
Any help appreciated.
Gotagivitago:ok:

It might be up to the school to choose. I know many students that come back on a J-1 again for fixed wing.
The J-1 visa is a program. (Exchange visitors program). If you hold a FAA CPL-H, you do not longer qualify for the proffesional helicopter program on a J-1.
On the other hand, if you want to be a CPL-A, you can apply for this, since thats a completely different course.
BUT they do not "allow" you to work as a helicopterpilot or helicopter CFI on that visa, all has to be on fixed wing.:E

rudestuff
4th Apr 2006, 15:29
As someone who has been in your position, I would apply for a J1 with a fixed wing school and do your fixed wing commercial. (added expense but you never know, it may come in handy one day - like if you ever decide you want to make money flying)
Then go to a school that has both Helicopters and Airplanes, do your fixed wing CFI, talk them into hiring you as a Airplane CFI - then spend all your time teaching Helicopters!
As long as they hire you as a FW CFI on paper, once you're there it doesn't matter what you do. An expensive option for the visa, but your options are somewhat limited.

Gotagivitago
5th Apr 2006, 10:01
Thanks for the advice guys. Very intersesting info and it's much appreciated.:ok:
Hillerbee
You mentioned that "strictly speaking" you can't apply for a J1, but you know of schools that may still be able to get me one. Any chance you could PM me a the names so that I can call them and talk directly.

Mortennb
When you say "it might be up to the school to choose".Does this mean that it's up to the schools individual interpretation of the guidelines? Also, does the fact that I hold an Aus CPL(H) as opposed to a FAA CPL(H) make any difference?

Rudestuff
Definately food for thought. Is this something you've done yourself or know of anyone having done? I don't want to end up in a cell with Bubba cause i breached my visa conditions.:{ :ouch:

thanks again

gotagivitago:ok:

wlynx
11th Apr 2006, 19:07
Believe me being married to a US citizen doesn't make the situation much better, Yes you can eventually get a green card and live and work in the US. I have spent the best part of ten months jumping through hoops and red tape. and its not been an easy process. but I'm almost there now, just the formal embassy interview to go.

so if all else fails, and you realy want to work in the US, you could always search love at AOL for a nice cute american wife;)

i4iq
11th Apr 2006, 23:28
Gotagivitago - you could also consider the E2 Treaty Investor Visa...

anti-talk
12th Apr 2006, 02:57
mmm - I did that (E2 Investor) - still a ballache with all of the red tape - but its sorted now and has been well worthwhile.