PDA

View Full Version : Rex to buy 5 more aircraft

Sue Ridgepipe
4th Apr 2006, 00:28
Rex has announced they will be buying 4 more Saabs and a 1900. The 1900 will be operated by Airlink, and the Metros will be phased out, leaving Rex with a single type fleet.

Atlas Shrugged
4th Apr 2006, 03:37
Does that mean Airlink will now operate two Flying Foreheads on SDU-SSY or still just RUE?

Victor India
4th Apr 2006, 03:59
Atlas Shrugged,

Do you mean Aeroporto Santos Dumont in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and M'banza Congo, Angola? My - that's impressive range on a "Flying Forehead". Hope they have the crew rest facility installed.

Not sure about RUE though. Please explain...

VI

Bevan666
4th Apr 2006, 06:12
Hmm.. there is a lot more to life than IATA airport codes....

Victor India
4th Apr 2006, 06:41
Of course there is... my point is that although it is easy enough to work out he's talking about Dubbo and Sydney, I am genuinely unsure where "RUE" is, and I've done lots of regional work around NSW. If someone's going to use abbreviations, they may as well use the right ones. That way, people other than GA/regional 'locals' can read and understand the thread.

No offence intended.

VI :)

international hog driver
4th Apr 2006, 06:50
M’banza Congo is great for 1900’s, long strip and in pretty good condition. The tower is at ground level now however and surrounded by barbed wire.:ok: ;)

Oh... almost forgot. The runway numbers were painted on the wrong ends (fixed now) and be carefull of lots lots and more lots of people crossing the runway:E :ok:

A 727 crew cleaned up a fella on a push bike a few years back just before touch down. The rolled through, turned in the end threshold and took off straight away in the opposite direction over the growing mob on the runway fearing they would be lynched if they stopped....:ok: :ok:

I kid you not:{

(if someone wants to host a pic of the threshold numbers i can mail a pic through)

get_over_it
4th Apr 2006, 06:50
RUE is the aeroplane. Romeo....Uniform....Echo.

Victor India
4th Apr 2006, 07:01
Ah - now I understand. Thanks GOI (sorry... Get_Over_It) :ouch:

lk978
4th Apr 2006, 07:21
I was just thinking back I saw something about saab no longer making the 340's or no longer supplying parts, does anyone know about this.

get_over_it
4th Apr 2006, 07:26
That's ok, VI.

Anyway, what I am wondering is what REX will do with the smaller routes that the Metro's are servicing at the moment. Sydney/Bathurst for example. Perhaps letting Airlink operate the new 1900 on this route? Not really a Saab 340 route I don't think. I may be wrong. I reckon a 340 to Dubbo would be more appropriate.

P|_azbot
4th Apr 2006, 07:37
They should get some regional jets or something.

Going Nowhere
4th Apr 2006, 08:15
What are the loads like to West Wyalong? Would've thought that would be a perfect run for the 1900 ?

LAHSO33
4th Apr 2006, 08:40
mmm......5 more SAABs Hey Iwonder if they will be recruiting some more pilots!!

Capn Bloggs
4th Apr 2006, 09:03
The tower is at ground level now

Was it the same 727 that knocked it over? :eek:

Chadzat
4th Apr 2006, 10:01
"They should get some regional jets or something."

Perhaps some ex Qantas A380's? Load factor would be a bit slim methinks.

How are the 340 load factors on their current metro routes going to look? Will the cost savings from single fleet outweigh this?

HAMO
4th Apr 2006, 11:12
They should get some regional jets or something.

Yeah like that worked really well when Kendell had the CRJ's

Considering the majority of Rex's flights are 1 to 1.5 hrs, the economics of operating a turboprop far outweigh cost of operating a regional jet. Also look at what the opposition (QF) are using -why would you want to go to the expense of Jets when they are using DH8's

P|_azbot
4th Apr 2006, 11:50
Yeah good point. Maybe a fleet of Leyland P76ers?

Shapeshifter
4th Apr 2006, 13:57
Rex to expand fleet to grow its markets
April 4, 2006 - 9:14AM

Airline group Regional Express Holdings Ltd (Rex) will expand its fleet by five aircraft to 34 this year as it increases capacity to grow its operations.

Rex said it will purchase four Saab model aircraft and one Beech 1900D, so it can better meet passenger requirements in the months ahead.

Managing director Geoff Bruest said the new aircraft will be used to phase out its 19-seat Metro 23 aircraft from passenger operations, while also helping the company grow.

"The approach is a two-pronged attack," Mr Bruest said.

"Firstly, to build the market by replacing all of our Metro aircraft so we end up operating just one type of aircraft, which is the 34-seat Saab," he said.

"From a customer point of view, the Metro is not considered as acceptable as the Saab, so we see the new fleet as a way of providing the highest level of service that we can."

Mr Bruest said the Metros will be used for freight and charter work or sold off.

The fleet changes will also give the airline room to grow.

"We've had particularly strong growth in New South Wales and South Australia and we see that continuing," Mr Bruest said.

"This will give us the ability to react to our developing markets by providing additional capacity and frequency and growing our revenue.

The Saab and Beech aircraft purchases will be funded from internal resources.

During the half-year, Rex took full ownership of Dubbo-based regional airline Air Link for $3 million, and bought a 50 per cent stake in freight and passenger charter company Pel-Air for $12 million.

The stock exchange listed company said it was on target to buy the rest of Pel-Air in two stages and achieve full ownership in two years.

Rex, which was formed from the amalgamation of Hazelton and Kendell Airlines in 2002,

The airline made a 2005/06 first half net of $9.3 million, up from $2.7 million in the same period the previous year.

Its shares rose 2.5 cents to $1.075.

© 2006 AAP

boeingwest
5th Apr 2006, 00:30
I know where there is 6 717's doing nothing (well 3 at the moment) :confused:

Atlas Shrugged
5th Apr 2006, 03:46
Yeah good point. Maybe a fleet of Leyland P76ers?
:ok: :ok: :ok:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/images/car_info/thumbs/leyland_P76_t.jpg

Hugh Jarse
5th Apr 2006, 04:34
Hey Atlas, remember one of its selling points was "you can fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot":} You needed one to carry the petrol to torch the car with, once you got fed up with it breaking down:yuk: The umbiquitous P38 - Only half a car:}

http://www.users.bigpond.com/jimjarron/car_pictures_files/P76.jpg

"YEEEEEEE..HAWWWWW!!"

Seriously, good luck to the staff at REX. At least the company is moving forward:ok:

outboundjetsetter
5th Apr 2006, 13:29
just curious.... does anyone know what the pay on the 1900 is like for a co and or a cap>?

Transition Layer
5th Apr 2006, 13:58
You would think the 1900D will operate under Airlink´s AOC and using their crew. Replacing the Metro on the West Wyalong run seems obvious but what about running a 1900D SYD-DGE (mudgee)? The Chieftain is often chockas on that run and they would prob grow the market with a turboprop. It really is just a feeder for domestic flights like SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE, although popular with business day trippers too.

All in all, good luck and g'day to the Airlink boys!

TL

ContactMeNow
5th Apr 2006, 22:19
Replacing the Metro on the West Wyalong run seems obvious but what about running a 1900D SYD-DGE (mudgee)

MDG :E

Never thought I will get to the day that I had to tell you something mate....

*Remembers the "countless" hours spent in Warriors with you in the RHS*

Its about time an RPT carrier started to move forward in this country.....A sign of hope?

CMN :ok:

Bendo
5th Apr 2006, 22:31
CMN

Your esteemed sensei was using IATA codes - that's how we know he's now in the Airlines. :} Only us lowly GA types use the other codes. :ouch:

Cheers :ok:

ContactMeNow
6th Apr 2006, 06:51
Well maybe one day I will be able to talk his language :}

You learn something new everyday, sincerest apologies TL....one day I wish to be as wise as you :8

CMN :ok:

Transition Layer
7th Apr 2006, 09:58
Ah u guys crack me up!

The use of IATA codes was a slight p1ss take at those earlier in the thread getting all wound up airport codes, abbreviations and the like!

And CMN, no idea who u are but if you've spent any length of time in an aircraft with me you've got an uphill battle ahead of u!

TL :ok:

COP
14th Apr 2006, 10:57
I am sure HAMO was around when KD ran the CRJ. From the sounds of it he seems to think that KD lost money using the CRJ. Mmmmm 50 seats and mostly carrying 50 pax most of the time. Funny how the CRJ has never lost money elsewhere in the world. Did you fly it?????

Pete Conrad
15th Apr 2006, 04:09
COP, anyone in KD at the time of the CRJ knows that the downfall of the RJ was as a result of the ridiculous lease's the Ansett guru's signed for the aeroplane, and the fact that on the leisure routes it was filled with low yeild holiday makers. It was also unpopular when used to replace A320's, 73's and Bae 146 aircraft out of Canberra to BNE, MEL and Adelaide, then out of Melbourne to Tassie. The aircraft should of been put head to head against the Dash 8's of QF link flying into CFS, BNK, WGA and AY..Even then, I doubt with the required break even LF's, the aircraft still wouldn't of made money!!......We all know it wasn't the aircraft's fault mate.

Agony
16th Apr 2006, 04:34
The figures I saw shortly after Sep 01 would indicate by way of LF and avail of the aircraft that the significant costs of introduction were at that stage well and truly being over come. Sure there was a significant Training Burden and the usual start-up dramas, such as routes and schedules that may have been handled better, but again from what I saw there was a very promising future for the CRJ.

The routes mentioned above were too short for the CRJ, about 1 hr flight time for the 200 was the figure to look for. Don't forget the 200 did not have LE devices and so some of the shorter strips that were good for the SF and Dash weren't appropriate.

Seem to remember that the gentlemen from the US that arrived late 2001 to look at the whole op referred to the CRJ's as "cash registers". This was at a time when someone from Swanston street was referrring to the 76 as the money maker ??

All academic now anyway.............:(

Parlay
19th Apr 2006, 07:44
Gday all,

Was just curious to know what a First year F/O's take home pay is per week after the training period?

Cheers

Bendo
19th Apr 2006, 11:27
A mate of mine, a Metro FO based in SYD, tells me he takes home about $1600 per fortnight.

Sounds OK to me... :ok:

Ramrod
19th Apr 2006, 11:56
Rex must pay their FO's well, as $1600 per fortnight take home works out to be just under $56000 gross per year. I think that $1600 would be a gross figure which would mean about $41000 a year.

CAPTBOB
19th Apr 2006, 12:37
Not sure what success that the REX / Airlink combination would have with operating into smaller regional centres. Apparently Airlink aircraft arent STOL capable. They are flat out stopping on a 1700 metre runway let alone anything smaller. Who wants Airlink flying anywhere else anyway. Havent we all had enough of needlessly burning up engine hours and fuel waiting for them. I always feel embarresed for Airlink pilots, being forced into such a ridiculous routine.

grrowler
20th Apr 2006, 00:55
Ramrod and others,

I don't work for Rex, but another regional based in Sydney, and 1600 take home would be about right on average, including allowances. I believe the Rex metro and saab guys get paid the same.

And it certainly isn't a hell of a lot of money in Sydney if you want to do anything more than share a shanty and only drink at the RSL during happy hour.:ok:

Enjoyable flying though...

turbantime
20th Apr 2006, 04:05
Apparently Airlink aircraft arent STOL capable

As you alluded to, they can do the short T/O bit but definitely not the short landing bit! :p :ok:

Ski Guru
21st Apr 2006, 04:16
Ha!

I saw that!

Powder to the people.

Ramrod
21st Apr 2006, 10:33
Based on the details listed on wagenet, from the 24/07/2005 st year FO's are paid $38253 gross per year. This works out to be $1509.73 gross per fortnight, and net amount of $1187.73 per fornight. Yes you may take home an extra $400 in allowances, but a lot of the allowance would have been spent on your meals and booze!

areal
22nd Apr 2006, 02:20
If you're based in AD the allowance is about $193/fortnight and the F/Os are treated like crap:{ !
If you want my advice, stay well away.

The Stooge
22nd Apr 2006, 08:18
AREAL, please explain to me why the F/O's in AD are treated like crap as you put it. From what I can gather the skippers or any other manager in AD are very good to work with and have a wealth of knowledge, which you probably havent realised yet. Why stay well away if you go anywhere else its going to cost you 33 grand. Rex it a great company and its employees are proud of what they have made.

questil
23rd Apr 2006, 11:19
yes that is a big call and such a generalist statement, to imply you are treated like crap by all captains would suggest maybe the problem stems from that particular person in the right seat. Adelaide is a great base and from what I know most are a great bunch there.

areal
24th Apr 2006, 00:06
Yes on reflection that was a bit generalised, don't get me wrong, the guys in AD are good to work with and Rex has a lot going for it but let me tell you that 30 odd grand is money well spent!

ReportReady
24th Apr 2006, 14:48
Lets not go encouraging pilots to pay for ratings now!
One of the reasons why REX is so good is cause they dont charge you! Something becoming less common nowadays. Back to the topic - Expansion got to be good! GO REX!!
:ok:

Bendo
26th Apr 2006, 04:07
Is this an additional 5 airframes, or are REX buying aircraft to replace aircraft presently leased?

WangFunk
2nd May 2006, 09:03
Just heard that Rex are planning on replacing the Metros with 1900's. Does anyone know how many they will be getting and if it is additional to the other 3 Saab's on their way?