PDA

View Full Version : Chambery runway sit-in

Pax-man
3rd Apr 2006, 22:51
Hurrah! Just got home after witnessing the most bizarre things I've ever seen at an airport.

Guessing there were sixty or seventy of them, but after the incoming Jet2 from Leeds Bradford touched down, a runway sit-in ensued! Scores of kids sat on the edge of the threshold, and nobody did anything about it! Saw one or two hi-vis jackets out there, but that was it (and I think they were a TV crew). Did spot three or four Gendarmes having a fag outside the terminal - well, you've got to get your priorities right.

In the end we were bussed to Grenoble where the incoming MAN flight had diverted to - Grenoble was all but closed, and obviously weren't expecting us. Didn't the big silver and red thing outside give 'em a clue?? Sid James would have been proud of the 'Carry On Check-in'!

Alas, I'm home, and the poor blighters on the Leeds flight are spending the night in Chambery. So I won't moan about the remote stand at MAN, the bus to T1(?!) and the wait for the baggage (surprised?). Just grateful for my own bed.

By the way, any news on what the bloody hell they were doing there, and how so many kids got onto the active runway at an international airport? All part of the CFE protests? All related to the local school occupation? Egg and spoon race?

King Pong
4th Apr 2006, 05:05
Remember we are talking about France here, where anarchy and lawlessness seems to be the order of the day. Might be one reason why the Foreign office recommends that we stay away.

bmibaby.com
4th Apr 2006, 10:25
No doubt this was one of the many student protests that have been causing havoc throughout France over the last fortnight. Essentially, the government are proposing new work laws whereby after leaving university or college you are offered a job for a token two years, but the company can fire you at any time. In France, where jobs are for life, this has been met with much resistance by young people, and has been sympathised by workers.

King Pong
4th Apr 2006, 12:44
Youth unemployment in France is around 25%. If the proposed government measures work then more of them would have to work. Hard work does not come easy to French students or the French population in general.

kotakota
4th Apr 2006, 13:15
It is absolutely criminal to allow anyone , let alone children , on to an a
'active' runway . It could not happen anywhere else.
About 10 years ago I was operating into Orly from Vienna , and was on finals when I was advised by tower of 'some people 'on runway. There was a dispute/strike/demo going on that day and I could see a large number of protesters running across the runway . I obviously elected to go around but delayed the procedure somewhat so that they got the benefit of my CFMs ( good French engines , of course ! ) to hurry them up somewhat. The subsequent circuit and landing were executed without any comment whatsoever from Le ATC.
Vive le sport.

Buster the Bear
4th Apr 2006, 15:59
In this 'secure' world we live in now, how the heck did these folk gain access at an airport, to the runway?

MEON VALLEY FLYER
4th Apr 2006, 16:10
i just cant believe J2 have actually put in writing what we all think anyway.
The sooner we flood that tunnel and get back to 'an insland nation' the better.

p.s if like me you try to protest with your wallet. Sainbury's do a very pallatable English camonbert (sp). So it doesn't have to be all pain.

Doors to Automatic
4th Apr 2006, 16:18
What with ATC ignoring international regulations and causing accidents by speaking in French and kids not only airside but onto active runways, French airspace should be closed down until the idiots can behave themselves properly.

eal401
4th Apr 2006, 16:54
p.s if like me you try to protest with your wallet.
Agreed. Who the hell buys French wine anymore anyway?

King Pong
4th Apr 2006, 18:21
Just shows that we Brits are a cut above the average Frenchman.

Lee-a-Roady Moor
15th Apr 2006, 18:01
And they're concerned about over 60's flying through their airspace...!!:confused: :confused:

submariner
16th Apr 2006, 10:34
I appreciate the world has now changed, but its nothing new.

In the late 70's a group of us were merily playing football on the apron of NAS Miramar, (awaiting an RAF flight home) much to the chagrin of the US authorities, who only managed to move us when a stray football went close to a taxiing military aircraft.

In retrospect it was a stupid thing to do, but for a group of bored teenagers with easy access to the apron, and used to US over-reaction by empty threats of the use of weapons (and bravado from us), when a warning of the danger to aircraft, FOD and ourselves would have been more appropriate, instead of fuelling the situation.

A lot older, a lot wiser (well a bit anyway) but concern that the French authorities have allowed it to occur, but as I stated earlier, its certainly not a new development, nor French.