PDA

View Full Version : Aviance Vacancies

chrisellio
3rd Apr 2006, 13:36
I see there are vacancies for ground services operatives at Durham Tees Valley. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these jobs, salary,chances of progressing or promotion anything really that may be of use.I am working in a safety related environment and was wondering about a change of career path.

smudgethecat
4th Apr 2006, 08:58
I see there are vacancies for ground services operatives at Durham Tees Valley. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these jobs, salary,chances of progressing or promotion anything really that may be of use.I am working in a safety related environment and was wondering about a change of career path.Unless you are desperate to work in the ground handlng game i wouldnt bother, the people working for these companies are generally paid peanuts, treated shabbily and appear to have very little in the way of a career path.

chrisellio
4th Apr 2006, 10:44
Thanks I was half expecting a reply like that. I was looking for an opening into aviation.Are there no positives at all then ?

Port Strobe
4th Apr 2006, 11:00
Like smudge said, unless it's [B]absolutely[B] what you want to do then I wouldn't move into that looking for a long career if you have a large mortgage and moderately expensive lifestyle to keep. There are most certainly some people that do start in GH companies and work a long career through a variety of roles but to be honest compared to the number of staff that are employed each year then let go after the summer season these instances are few and far between, but of course that doesn't mean it won't happen to you. As for positives well if you can accept the negatives of s*@t pay, equally s*@t hours and knowing your personal needs lie somewhere at the bottom of the list of the company's priorities then I guess you can take the positives as being you'll be working in a good environment, meet a hell of a lot of people of which most are genuinely very nice and you can take satisfaction in doing a good job when the pressure is on. Take from that what you will but I hope it gives you some further insight. There have been a few similar posts in the past I seem to remember, have a look at them and come back to fill in the gaps.

Lite
4th Apr 2006, 16:25
As I've mentioned on this forum a couple of times to people interested in working for a handling agent, it's very much dependent on your situation. If you're quite young & wanting to move into the airline industry, it's a wonderful place to get an understanding of what goes on in the airport, such as a taste of unsociable hours, difficult passengers as well as working in a team under stressful conditions. The problem is it's hard tiring work for little money on a seasonal contract.

Alan Tracey
5th Apr 2006, 21:36
My son has just applied for one of the Aviance vacancies at LGW...pay not that bad........

Northern Hero
8th Apr 2006, 18:11
I was talking to the Aviance Station Manager at MME the other day. Pay is not bad at all for the ramp ops, starting at £6.80 per hour up to £8.90 depending on experience. It's a new operation for Aviance with new equipment going in and they are getting busy with the expansion of the bmi baby programme plus they have just got the Eastern contract. Nice little operation they have got there with approx 50 staff and expanding, so would think there are chances of progressing. Send your CV in and the worst that could happen is them keeping it on file.
Don't know what Servisair will be left with at MME, I guess just KLM and Ryanair plus BY in the summer.