PDA

View Full Version : Football team in "scary" flight.

doubledolphins
3rd Apr 2006, 13:24
Watching the West Ham v Charlton game on sky yesterday. The presenter referred to the "Scary Flight" the Hammers had back from Manchester on Wednesay night (29 Mar). Aparently it was unable to land at Stansted and ended up at its second alternate. I was downroute in Kenya at the time so have not got a clue what he was talking about.(I know the Hammers lost one nil. That was on my room tv!). Could any one enlighten me?

Matty J
3rd Apr 2006, 15:44
I was working the night they flew back to Stansted and there was nothing scary going on at the airport.

Only reason i can think of as to why they could'nt land would be if they were due in after Midnight. The runway is closed as of 12AM on certain nights of the week due to major work thats going on.

Thats all i can think of if it helps!:confused: :confused:

Matt:ok:

beamer
3rd Apr 2006, 17:35
Teams used to use last train or a coach in my day - humbug !

clicker
4th Apr 2006, 09:04
Coach or train? Teams then had it easy, why when I was a lad it were expected that teams walked to their match, aye and if were more than you could throw a pastie you had the bike to ride! aye them were the days.

:ok:

Well getting back to the thread it sounds like a good jorno comment. Scary cos it was dark and someone shouted "boo".

doubledolphins
4th Apr 2006, 14:44
Wasn't a "journo" it was one of the Sky Sports presenters of Sunday's game, not quite the same thing. As a pilot and Hammers fan I just wanted to know what had happened as I was out of the country at the time. As to the comments about footballers mode of transport, at least a good proportion of the Hammers team were born within a bus ride or a few tube stops of Upton Park. Surely teams flying to away games is good for all of us. My point is, frigtening them is not good for buisness, however.

PaperTiger
4th Apr 2006, 14:55
Wasn't a "journo" it was one of the Sky Sports presenters of Sunday's game, not quite the same thing.A very, very fine distinction you make, probably lost on most of us here. I would not expect a footie commentator/has-been player to have the remotest idea concerning aviation; and he should therefore refrain from making second-hand (I assume he wasn't on the "scary" flight) nonsensical utterances. Back to you, Brian.

LongGoneSilva
4th Apr 2006, 15:43
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28649-2117078,00.html

After a promising start, West Ham lose to a preventable goal in first-half stoppage time. On the flight back to East London, strong winds, rain and fog twice prevent the 32-seat plane from landing in Stansted. They head to Southend, but are turned away because there are no fire crews on hand. A bumpy landing at Gatwick is their only option. “It was the worst flight I have experienced and I have no problem with flying,” Pardew said. “Some of them are shaken up. We joked about it, but some of them will carry a few scars. The boys were looking out of the window and couldn’t see. It was all a bit scary. Peter Grant was the worst, a nervous wreck. Saying that, I don’t expect any of them to miss the flight to Dubai for our break on Monday morning [yesterday].”

Anyone know the operator? Maybe a Scotair 328?

doubledolphins
4th Apr 2006, 21:09
LGS. Thank you! DD

WHBM
5th Apr 2006, 07:55
Unlikely to be Scot. Although they seem the ideal operator for their LCY location and being into this market for premium charters (and also for overflying Upton Park on most LCY rwy 28 departures - indeed the Upton Park floodlights about 2 nm north are one of the visibility guides for the LCY tower), the main trouble is that LCY is closed on Saturday evening, and all late evenings, when such football charters would be wanting to return.

And anyway they normally use Cambridge, their off-line base, as their alternate.