PDA

View Full Version : Onan's Clumsy Garage Sale Thread

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2006, 12:56
Saturday 01apr2006

**** Overview

Not too many sales, but I did run across a big one where they said "Anything in the house is for sale because they're going to bulldoze it in a couple of days and hey we're off to California tomorrow".

** Items seen but not purchased

A pair of (new) Gore Tex work boots my size for $30.00. It was tempting, but I don't really need them. Ten bucks maybe, but not thirty. She said they cost $120 new. Maybe I should have put them on ebay.

** Items seen and purchased, but not picked up

I bought a nice bookcase for $4.00 that I meant to come back for in Mrs Clumsy's car, as it wouldn't fit in mine...except that I totally forgot about it until this morning...and I have absolutely no idea where the sale was http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/17.gif

** Items I was actually looking for

A tap (faucet) for the kitchen sink for $25.00

A bathroom extractor fan for $1.00

** Items purchased

A Kohler sink for my bathroom for when I remodel it. $50.00

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/300x350/ccc11380_0.jpg

A set of towel rails and toilet roll holder in brushed Nickel for $15.00

A pair of pendant lights (in red) for $15.00

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/718212279083_4.jpg

Four pairs of trousers and a shirt for $1.25. The shirt is Perry Ellis and the trousers are Dockers Linen and Austin Reed. If they don't fit I'll just give them to the thrift store.

Another pair of trousers for a dollar. No I don't know why.

A smoke detector for $1.00, of the same kind that we already have the mounting bracket installed. Oddly the battery was stilll wrapped in plastic as he said he only installed it for the insurance http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/33.gif

A light fitting for the track lighting in the hallway for $1.00. Ok, so it needs a bulb, but I should have a couple of R16s from a previous sale. I did miss about fifty feet of track lighting though http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/02.gif as it had already been removed.

**Featured item

It's got to be the toilet. Yes I bought an American Standard toilet from a garage sale for $40.00 http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/08.gif Well it was only eleven months or so old and 28 inches deep from the wall, so it'll be perfect for the guest bathroom I'm building in the hallway.

** Notable Events

I got run over going to one sale. The road was sort of busy, with cars parked on both sides and when I went behind this Jetta, the guy started backing up. I called and he stopped, but then he started backing up more quickly so I slammed my fist on his trunk lid and yelled. He wound his window down and apologised which was nice, but I wonder if he'll think the same way when he sees the huge dent I put in his trunk http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/27.gif

** Unsubscribe

To unsubsrcibe from this newsletter, send an email with "You're kidding right? You bought a TOILET? From a garage sale? You're a FREAK!" in the subject line to [email protected]

IB4138
3rd Apr 2006, 13:00
If you go pick the bureau up now, you will probably find that it has "magiced" itself into a bundle of firewood. Now that is a bargin for the price!:rolleyes:

airship
3rd Apr 2006, 13:25
Imagine remodelling a bathroom and installing a washbasin with separate hot and cold taps...?! :confused:

It must be a N. American thang...! ;)

steinycans
3rd Apr 2006, 13:38
Agreed. In the land of law suits, there cannot be any confusion between the two lest placards are incorrectly placed (like they were at a place I inhabited) and a visitor inadvertantly scalds themselves.

G-CPTN
3rd Apr 2006, 14:39
There's talk of legislating for 60 degrees limiting thermostats on all hot water outlets here in the UK.

Jerricho
3rd Apr 2006, 14:41
You are a freak :p

airship
3rd Apr 2006, 14:44
And you chose to go live in Texas!

acbus1
3rd Apr 2006, 14:53
So, lets get this right.......you went to a lot of garage sales and yet didn't buy a single garage?

I guess the guy whose "trunk" ("boot" in the UK) you dented is now looking for car boot sales.

Apart from those points, for which I almost couldn't summon the energy to post,
this thread is pants/rubbish/the toilet.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2006, 16:46
acbus I got a sinking feeling when I read your post because I thought you were getting shirty with me, then the light went on in the cloud over my head. Not to be pendantic, but I suppose you could say not that the thread is in the toilet, but the toilet is in the thread.

I hope I've extracted myself from any dilemma.

airship
3rd Apr 2006, 16:51
You might have managed to extract yourself but I think you may have left a few skidmarks behind... ;)

djk
3rd Apr 2006, 17:02
good deal you got there on the sink, although not quite the colour I would have chosen for my bathroom. saying that I need a new sink, well two actually one for the upstairs guest bathroom and the downstairs 1/2 bathroom

yggorf
3rd Apr 2006, 17:51
I like the sink, but frankly, the pendant light looks like a loo brush holder.:}

acbus1
3rd Apr 2006, 18:57
I hope I've extracted myself from any dilemma.
Nope, I'm steamed up now and I must give vent. It stinks, it sucks and I'm no longer a fan.

I trust you duct when you read this.

flowman
3rd Apr 2006, 19:30
A sink goes in the kitchen. A bathroom should have a wash hand basin. :p
The bog was a good price though!

Binoculars
4th Apr 2006, 12:26
Hey Onan, I want to be in your thread. I bought a pair of golf shoes for $125 and they nearly crippled me after nine holes. Size 9. Niblick. Ultra Lite or something like that. Make an offer, this is cheaper than ebay. :8

G-CPTN
4th Apr 2006, 13:14
US, Aus or HK?

djk
4th Apr 2006, 13:23
I like the sink, but frankly, the pendant light looks like a loo brush holder.:}

Yeah, I agree about the pendant light. I find it really difficult to get just a standard pendant light without a weird light shade. Either that, all light fittings I see use about 3 or 4 bulbs in them.

goshdarnit
4th Apr 2006, 14:58
You are building a guest bathroom in the hallway?

<shudder> :confused: too much springs to mind that just shouldn't.

djk
4th Apr 2006, 15:02
You are building a guest bathroom in the hallway?

<shudder> :confused: too much springs to mind that just shouldn't.

it's the first door on the left from the hallway, opposite first-born's bedroom
There is a seperate entrance way from the front door, you walk past the staircase (that leads down to the basement) just as you reach the lounge, there's a hallway that goes off on the left

Howard Hughes
4th Apr 2006, 23:09
There's talk of legislating for 60 degrees limiting thermostats on all hot water outlets here in the UK.It's 55 degrees on all new installations in Oz!:ugh:
What this has to do with Onans garage sales, I don't know.....

Jerricho
4th Apr 2006, 23:43
Hey Onan,Make an offer, this is cheaper than ebay. :8

ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!

I don't think we're the same size thought mate. Some pretty big shoes to fill ;)

G-CPTN
5th Apr 2006, 00:04
It's 55 degrees on all new installations in Oz!:ugh:
What this has to do with Onans garage sales, I don't know.....
Don't want to get Onan into hot water.

In the land of law suits, there cannot be any confusion between the two lest placards are incorrectly placed (like they were at a place I inhabited) and a visitor inadvertantly scalds themselves.

Onan the Clumsy
10th Apr 2006, 03:16
**** Overview

Hardly worth bothering with this weekend. There were a fair number of sales, but they just didn't really have much on offer...not that that's not a bad thing mind.

** Items seen but not purchased

A set of quilted, insulated, camoflaged coveralls that might have been worth buying if it ever got below freezing in Texas. Unfortunately I put them down on the table and then I could never find them again. I also saw a mirror that might have worked for the new bathroom, but it would have needed the frame stripping and staining, so I passed.

** Items I was actually looking for

Nothing to report in this category this week.

** Items purchased

A vanity light for the new bathroom for $5.00. Now all I have to do is spend about $10 on some halogen bulbs...if I can find any that fit.

A shirt for a dollar and an Old Navy Tee shirt for fifty cents.

**Featured item

Nothng to report in this category this week.

** Notable Events

I saw a B17 fly overhead. in fact it'll be around until the 11th.

** Unsubscribe

To unsubsrcibe from this newsletter, send an email with "This one was a gigantic snooze. If you can't do better than that, just remove me from your stupid list." in the subject line to [email protected]

Buster Hyman
10th Apr 2006, 03:21
What did you offer for the B17?

Onan the Clumsy
10th Apr 2006, 15:14
It's $425 for 30 minutes. I'm going to try and get a ride tonight.

BenThere
10th Apr 2006, 15:52
Kohler is the Rolls Royce of bathroom fixtures. Congratulations on a great purchase.

Garage sales can be outright giveaways. When we moved from California to Italy, we sold virtually everything we had for pennies on the dollar, like a $400 lawnmower for $25, Navajo pottery for a dollar.

It costs more to move many things than they are worth, and then you get to buy all new stuff for the garage sale next time you move.

Are garage sales common in Europe, or is it all done in flea markets?

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2006, 16:57
My very first experience of a 'Garage Sale' was around 1970, when a work colleague (who had acquired an American wife when working in the States) decided to up-sticks and go Stateside again. We were all invited to their house, where EVERYTHING was up for offer (probably even that!). They only intended to travel with minimal baggage, and some stuff for sale was even of US origin (there were folks there from the nearby US Base who were interested in those).
I guess it was 'normal' for his wife to dispose of ther unwanted household items and furniture in that fashion, but we English Bumpkins had never seen the like of it.
Didn't buy nowt . . . (think they wanted dollars . . . )

As far as the UK is concerned, there is a proliferation of Sunday 'Car Boot Sales' where folks congregate in a field, set up a trestle table and then unload the contents of their car (not JUST the boot or trunk). A few run this as a business, offering home-made items such as garden ornaments or jewelry. Others 'trade' in Car-Boot Sale items, depending on the mark-up for their profit.