PDA

View Full Version : Webjet in Brazil

XSBaggage
3rd Apr 2006, 03:42
Does anyone have any information about the airline Webjet operating in Brazil? They appear to have a fully painted B737-300 and ticket counters in several Brazilian airports (the one in GIG fully staffed), but their website is still "under construction". Not interested in a career in Brazilian aviation (another forum describes the difficulties with this) but out of curiousity I would like to hear more about this company.

Similarly, what about VASP? They still appear to have ticket counters and offices in many Brazilian airports but obviously no flights. Their fleet is in a sorry state though, so dont expect them to make a comeback soon. I just find it curious why the airport authorities dont lease / sell the space to other airlines.

XSB

alemaobaiano
3rd Apr 2006, 19:45
Webjet never really got off the ground (sorry :\ ) and the latest I have on them (15/03/06) is that they now have new owners/backers. They have a single 737-300 and plan to operate charters and a few scheduled flights on the route covering Rio/Natal/Fortaleza. Porto Alegre and Florianopolis have been dropped, and never really did much for the bottom line anyway. Frankly I don't think they have much of a chance, BRA and GOL have the economy sector pretty much tied up and there are only a few profitable routes in Brazil. OceanAir has also entered the market and is covering similar routes with F100s, so there is very little room left over.

Vasp is dead but not buried, which is why they still have facilities at airports throughout Brazil. It is now a year since they last flew and their fleet is in a terrible state, so they couldn't start operations tomorrow even if they had the money. However, until the company has finally run out of options and the creditors have picked the bones clean, they are still, technically, a functioning airline.

Hope that helps

ab