PDA

View Full Version : Jindabyne Airstrip ?

FlugWeasel
3rd Apr 2006, 03:26
Does anyone in this forum have any (fixed wing) experience flying into the ALA in Jindabyne, NSW ?

I can get all the relevant technical data etc but was after any first hand local knowledge/advice.

Thanks in advance.

Squawk7700
3rd Apr 2006, 04:04
PM me for more info and number of someone who was just up there.

Last I heard, rough and bumpy gravel to the point where it damaged the undercarriage of our school aircraft. Also elevation is high, but shouldn't prove a problem at this time of year.

nomorecatering
3rd Apr 2006, 19:47
Jindabyne High...........Ppfffft. Try Big Bear elev 6900', Telluride 7900', Leadville, 9800', all strips I have been to in the US summer. Now you're talking Density Altitude.

Of course, consult your P charts, but the Ozzi Alps are a mere pimple of the earth.

QNH1013.2
3rd Apr 2006, 23:07
Tell that to the guy that couldn't get airborne up there over Christmas in his Cherokee 180 with 3 POB. 40+ degrees and over 3,000ft with density altitute hitting high 4's... I'd be a little careful.

lk978
4th Apr 2006, 04:40
I was in there 6 months ago in a 182, Bit rough make sure you ring and find out how long the grass is if your in something that requires a bit of runway strip is 1000m. There is a bit of a drop off at the end of each threshold. weather can be a factor, and there was a bit of turbulence off the side of the hills.

The airport itself is $20 cab ride to town, its on the side of the hill if your there for longer then a couple of hours take tie downs all the aircraft there have about 8 on each wing.

in all i proberly would not go in there again in a 182, chewed up the prop a bit but overall not the worst strip ive seen good strip for 180/185, islander and alike but there were a few 210s there.

I didnt find performance too bad in a standard 182P with 3 pob.

nomorecatering
4th Apr 2006, 07:35
Does anyone have any photos of the strip, have been there several times on the ground but never flown in.

How practical would it be to up grade the strip to a state suitable for Dash 8's Would be terrific to be able to hop on a airline flight 30mins from Sydney and you're in Jindabyne. Mt Hotham is a poor ski resort compared to Perisher/Threadbow. Flying to Cooma defeats the excercise, would rather drive then.

How much does the ground slope down after the ends of the runway.

Aussie
4th Apr 2006, 10:14
On that note, anyone flown into MT Hotham?

Whats the airstrip like?

Aussie

FlugWeasel
4th Apr 2006, 10:29
Jindabyne High...........Ppfffft. Try Big Bear elev 6900', Telluride 7900', Leadville, 9800', all strips I have been to in the US summer. Now you're talking Density Altitude.
Of course, consult your P charts, but the Ozzi Alps are a mere pimple of the earth.

... now you are making me jealous. I flew into Telluride several years ago. Not only is it one of the best places in the world to ski - the airport is an absolute blast - unfortunately I was only a passenger.

I also saw my first full squadron of Gulfstreams there.

Fully agree it makes our so called "Australian Alps" look quite tame.

FlugWeasel
4th Apr 2006, 10:38
On that note, anyone flown into MT Hotham?
Whats the airstrip like?
Aussie

Hotham I know. It is a "proper" airport with a lot of RPT from SYD and MEL (Dash -8) and a lot of charter traffic. Its about 1500m long and the alt is around 4200ft.

lk978
4th Apr 2006, 10:49
I am sure that it is very possible to upgrade the stripe whether it is feasible for 6 months a year is another question.

Also to consider is the fact the airstrip is on the side of a hill, with the need for a instrument approach the missed approach point would be pretty high to ensure the performance gradient would see even a under powered 30 year old twin miss the snow caps. (id like to see CASA's face when that route aproval goes through)

now I have always liked the flat bit near the car park in perisher, twotter/caravan and alike on skis would be fun

just to ad. the slope is about a 10/20 foot shear drop as i can remember then just a continued slop of about 30% but its been 6 months and I was more interested in the wind shear comming over the fence, there is also some wild life to look out for so the ersa says I think.

sailing
4th Apr 2006, 11:13
I know when they got AVDATA a few years ago, there was a $25 landing fee. A friend of mine flew in with a mate, he called in as 'Foxtrot Uniform Kilo', his mate was 'Oscar Foxtrot Foxtrot' :E:E. Can be very turbulent in westerlies, gliders have flown over FL200 in wave lift there!:yuk:

Its the Pleats
5th Apr 2006, 04:53
Of course get some current, local info prior to going to Jindy, but I've taken chieftains in there no sweat.

Ski Guru
5th Apr 2006, 06:34
Yes the oz snow is a pimple, but seeing as its all we have down here, who cares. I've skied knee deep in oz, not very often but it does happen.

Jindy is already over priced because people expect knee deep quality on all services accom, food, lifts etc, it does not need an all weather rpt airport and service as well.

besides, its not a ski trip with out days of snow, nights of booze and a 6-7hr drive either end. unless your north of the equator.

powder to the people.

lk978
5th Apr 2006, 06:54
Amen,
The boys and girls at MCdonalds do their research witha lovely establishment just when its needed

nomorecatering
5th Apr 2006, 07:00
What we need is to be able to finish work at 5 on a Friday, then jump on a Dash, 40 mins down to Jindabyne (from Syd), off the aircraft straight into the airport ski tube station and into your ski lodge by 7, ready to get into some serious apres ski activities.

I have had a family connection with Jyndbyne since I was born. Jindabyne, Perisher and Thredbow in particular are working hard to promote the summer activities that can be had in the Kausciosco National Park (i cant remember the spelling). Most people think it's a winter only place. But it's a fabulous place in the summer.

I've all but given up the friday night trudge down to the ski slopes. Without traffic my best time has been just over 4 hrs. Sydney to Jindabyne. The worst trip being way over 7 hrs. Not so mention the heavy presence of the boys in blue with their mobile revenue colection devices.

Bring on the Dash.

catseye
5th Apr 2006, 09:20
I was talking to the national RAPAC convenor last week about this place. He has some horror stories about the roll over and rotor above the western end of the strip. He has also flown in there with NPWS in choppers and C182 and has some local contacts. Convenor's contacts are on the ASA web site.

Believe he also holds the file going back years before the latest earth works. Must have been an exciting ride in the Porter.

Hazo's aka Rex also operate to Cooma but not sure if it is still operating. The locals in Jindy were supporting the start up and plugging on the local radio last year. Also running ads in the new cinema.

The Eye.

The Messiah
6th Apr 2006, 14:37
Have operated into Jindy in a 210 and a Chieftain and never had any trouble. It is a very short final leg but great fun.

FlugWeasel
6th Apr 2006, 22:34
Thanks everyone for the insight.

I will let you know how we go ...

Ultralights
7th Apr 2006, 01:14
Thanks everyone for the insight.
I will let you know how we go ...
Take a camera!

ums
20th May 2006, 21:35
I have taken a Beechcraft Sierra 200 C24R, a 2750lb MTOW airplane into this strip.

The strip slopes uphill in the R30 direction with hilly terrain on both sides. The locals prefer to land up hill, even with 7 Kts of tailwind, because landing downhill the ground run is accelerated making it quite a difficult landing requiring lots of brake. I know because I landed my Sierra downhill with a light Easterly when I should have landed uphill.

Both ends of R12/R30 dips down into a drop. R12's end i.e. R30 start, has a severe drop off to the road below and lots of sink occurs when taking off downhill in that direction. Use extreme caution at these short strips in the hills with an elevation 3,400'. My ex flying school lost a plane landing downhill on R12. I wouldn't use the cross strip with my plane unless the cross-wind dictated and in that case I may not actually being flying into there in those conditions.

There is a warning in the ERSA about severe turbulence with westerly winds, due to mechanical effects of the hills. The same effect happens at YBUY, our gliding club R27. The turbulence feels like airframe buffetting in my machine, which instinctively causes me to increase speed by dropping the nose - be careful with speed control.

Here is a video clip of gyros taking off from R12 in a light easterly http://www.arising.com.au/aviation/short-gyro.wmv

Jindabyne club can be contacted via ron @ jindabynesports.com.au
who can provide local information and contact phone numbers to verify procedures and conditions. There is a lot of gryo activity there as well as quite a few GA aircraft.

VH-UMS

mjbow2
21st May 2006, 10:06
Originally Posted by nomorecatering

Telluride is 9060ft
Leadville is 9927ft.
Big Bear is 6747ft.

must have been a while ago since you flew in there nmc...:) looks like they've changed elevation a bit.