PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Curvature
2nd Apr 2006, 23:22
Hello fellow aviators,

I know, another "Help, I'm in need of advice post".

So I will be brief.

Facts: 33 years old
Australian CPL 400 hours (200 twin- C310)
BSc and Masters degree
Live in UK (now) Born in UK, for all the xenophobics
Funds available for JAR ATPL theory and training,
and type rating.
Have good contacts with one airline
Presently employed in finance

Aspirations: Turbo-prop/jet pilot

I have just read some depressing posts on the present and future state of the industry.

Would you go for it?

Positive, negative, any criticism appreciated.

Curvature.:hmm:

captwannabe
3rd Apr 2006, 15:47
I think you should go for it. It shouldn't cost you too much to convert to a JAA licence, but I'd say hold off on the type rating and see if you can get a job with a company who will pay for it.

AIRWAY
3rd Apr 2006, 15:55
G'day :ok:

I'm with captwannabe convert your licence and then evaluate your options, with JAA it will open the doors for you.

All the best.

Curvature
3rd Apr 2006, 21:06
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Safe flying

Curvature:)

captwannabe
4th Apr 2006, 21:47
Where did you train in Oz? What are jobs like for low hours guys?

Curvature
5th Apr 2006, 08:52
Captwannabe,

I trained in a variety of places. PPL at Royal Aero Club of WA (Jandakot). CPL at Aerospace Aviation in Sydney (Bankstown), then Ad Astral (at Perth International) for the MEIR (highly recommended).

Australia has a glut of low houred pilots (200-500) and higher hour pilots (1000+). Jobs are scarce and any new CPL holders really have to "go bush" and travel to the Northern Territory, or northern WA to gain hours flying C172's, C210's etc before progressing on to twins, turbo-props (if you are lucky) and then jets (really, really lucky). In Australia there is a large GA scene, however with really only two major domestic/ international airlines (Qantas and Virgin) competition for jobs is extremely competitive.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Curvature;)