PDA

View Full Version : Nairobi/Kenya Advice Request

Jordan D
2nd Apr 2006, 09:57
Wondering if I could get some advice for LHR-NBO later this year. Flying BA, on the day service outbound (stated as 777 without First).

The journey is not the problem - as UK passport holders, we apparently require visas (according to FCO & Kenyan High Commission). Can someone clarify if these visas are available on arrival - as stated in some sources, and if so if it is worth waiting to pick them up on arrival, or if we should got to the KHC and get them before departure.

Any comments of Nairobi welcomed (staying with family, so accom. is ok).

Thanks in advance,
Jordan

bushbolox
2nd Apr 2006, 17:07
They are available at the immigration counter, 35 ponds or 50 dollars single entry visitor permits upto 3 months. They are usually pretty good at giving u the time you need but ask for more than you need just in case. Give your friends as contact. You will need the street /estate addres as well as the po box for the visaIt seems like a hapazard sysytem but they can be ruthlessly efficient when it suits them. Have the correct change and the forms are avilable on the aircraft. Last time i got mine at the actual entry desk/cubicle but sometimes there is a dedicated desk just to the left. Queues can seem a bit eratic but no slower tha anywhere else. Anyother type of visa requires contact with the KHC, especially multi entry, or special pass for 3 months, work.

Gouabafla
2nd Apr 2006, 18:36
As bb said, getting a visa is no sweat, just make sure you have your fifty USD handy. If two or three aircraft arrive at more or less the same time, the queues can be a hassle, but otherwise, things are pretty good.

On the way out of NBO, the Java house coffee place is about the best place to wait in the airport (turn left when you get to the concourse and just keep walking).

You might get more information about the city itself by posting on the Africa forum. I rarely spend any time there - apart from arriving and departing so I'm not much help.

Oh - if you haven't been to the Carnivore, you should probably give it a try. But once is enough for anyone! Protein overload.

bushbolox
3rd Apr 2006, 05:47
Or go to the florida and give someone else an overload. Double bag the old chap though. Seriously If you are young and horny , HIV is common, be careful,. The best non whore multi racial clubs are in westlands or if you like musiki ya wazungu (white boy tunes) carnivore on a wednesday used to be good.Word of cuation the working girls have had a makeover from US girls and are becoming indistinguishable from decent Kenyan girls in the up market venues. Watch out for the "students", they probably arent, or studying is being funded by a bit of mzungu shopping. Not moralising, jsut keep the old chap well wrapped up if you must indulge. If however you are female the above doesnt apply unless you go to mombassa and pick up a beachboy for a bit of "I ruve you baby" . Otherwisw have fun, dont wear any expensive jewllry in nairobi or camera etc and dont talk to strangers unnecessarily in town They are master conmen. After 17 years ther I am a cynic but cynicism in africa is a survival tool. Rember about 2/3 of all working girls are HIV pos .

Jordan D
3rd Apr 2006, 08:28
Thanks for the comments re: Visas .... as for the women, I'm travelling with my parents and am not going to be getting upto anything whilst over there.

Jordan

Jordan D
30th May 2006, 11:37
Redragging this one back up ... travelling this Friday, so any further advice appreciated.

Jordan

PAXboy
30th May 2006, 11:43
Nothing to add of assistance, just my admiration for Kenyan govt on being able to get their hands on loads of hard US currency, just make sure you have your fifty USD handy. :D At least it means they can repay US loans without having to go through exchange rates! (Yes, I have lived in Africa.)

kingoftheslipstream
30th May 2006, 14:27
Also would recommend the "Aviation Club of East Africa" located at Wilson Airport. I am not a member, nor does one have to be in order to enter. It's a spiffy little place with an aviation theme. It's not all history and nostalgia though, which is the neat part. Wilson Airport is a vital and thriving base for secondary and tertiary aviation in East Africa... the beer is great, "Tusker" of course (it's always Tusker time!" and the banter is friendly.

Florida 2000 is located behind the Grand Regency Hotel and is worth taking a peak at even if you're not buying. The Intercontinental Hotel has a great karaoke night on Tuesday evenings. The scenery is very good...

Have a fun trip! :ok:

kq777
1st Jun 2006, 17:01
The Florida near the Regency closed down, the other two are still open. Its an interesting expirience, but if you are white you will have lots of working ladies chasing you (white=$$$$)

Florida 2000 is located behind the Grand Regency Hotel and is worth taking a peak at even if you're not buying.

Jordan D
13th Jun 2006, 15:49
Thanks for the tips - Tusker was good, and no problems getting into or out of the country. Missed Carnivore on this occasion.

Jordan