PDA

View Full Version : A380 wake turbulence seperation

boeingwest
2nd Apr 2006, 00:13
Could anyone put any truth to the rumour that the A380 has a 2000' wake turbulence seperation standard? I thought wake was meant to level off at around 500-1000' (please correct me if I'm wrong) - but is this plane now defying the laws of physics or what?

Another interesting fact I heard, that during its visit to Oz in November, on atleast 2 approaches to RWY01 @ Brisbane, it closed the Archerfield circuit area (including arrivals/departures) on both occasions due to this 'wake seperation'. If this is the truth, my that will be fun come a few years time when the whales a regular visitor to the QLD capital!

Anyway, can any regular visitors/YBBN drivers confirm the actual height @ which you would overfly Archer GAAP upon turning final to 01?

Cheers in advance! :ok:

Capn Bloggs
2nd Apr 2006, 00:30
I know of runway Zero One at YBBN but not runway "1".

The A380 wake turbulence separation standard/s is on ongoing work-in-progess and hasn't yet been agreed by the authorities. Given the size of the thing and how little experience the world has with it, I think it entirely reasonable that Archerfield was closed (if indeed this was the case) while the whale went over.

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Apr 2006, 00:59
Wasn't it's first landing in Australia onto Brisbane RWY19? I dont know how many "other" approaches the A380 subsequently made during it's visit to Australia. ( Perhaps after its time in Syd and Mel )
Even if you shut Archer down for 5 minutes each time a Jumbo landed on 01 at Brissy, I hardly think the "QLD capital" would lose any sleep.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

Shitsu_Tonka
2nd Apr 2006, 01:12
Yes, we had AF suspend Ops while working the A380 onto 01 / 1 . Co-ordinating this is more difficult than one might realise - think timing. Normal profile over AF (GLENN WPT) is 2500 for the IAF ILS01.

2000FT and 10nm was the temp standard, but is looking set to be long term.

See the thread somehwere on the A380 'Lemon'. It goes in to the whole thing in some detail. Boeing are making a PR deal about it - as you would expect.