PDA

View Full Version : FBOs - Regulations and standards

PGCLRC
1st Apr 2006, 22:28
Does anyone know where to find information on Minimum requirements for an FOB to operate,.. What are the normal prices of their offered services and so on..???

Thanks!

barney01
2nd Apr 2006, 09:40
The term "FBO" isn't used in Australia.

Do you want to know what is required to set up a flying school or charter service?

megle2
2nd Apr 2006, 12:15
No US style FBO's but Aus equivalent.
You get a lounge, crew facilities, ramp assistance, limo to aircraft door maybe.
They will organise fuel, catering, accom ect from local providers.
Can make life much easier.
Costs vary $150 - $300 or more, depends on services / times ect.
They all do a reasonable job but not much volume in Aus to make it really happen.

PGCLRC
2nd Apr 2006, 16:01
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I am looking for something more like what megle2 described, I didn't know that the term FBO was used in the US only.

How is it called in AU? Is there an especific set of regulations for these, and if so, where could I find them?

Also if anyone knows where to find the regulations and standards for an FBO in the states I would appreciate any information you can provide!

Thanks!!!

runway16
3rd Apr 2006, 01:29
The best so called GA FBO in this country would have to be that of Pete Wade and his South West Air Services at Charleville. Qld.

As you taxi in the fuel man is at the bowser with the hose in his hand. The clean air conditioned building has hot and cold snacks available as well as cold drinks. You can enjoy those while seated on the patio outside.
A PC is at hand to check the weather and log a plan. If you want to stay in Charleville South West have a list of all the local places to stay at, their costs, what they offer and their phone numbers to call and book. Want a taxi? S-W will gladly call one for you.
Above all they offer friendly prompt service. I try to make a point of calling in at Charleville because of the service that South West offers, rare if not unseen elsewhere in Australia.

If someone was to try and start an 'FBO' here in Australia for GA they could well start out by seeing how S-W do it and then add the red carpet and limo if airport security will allow.

Cactus Jak
3rd Apr 2006, 05:01
Haven't visited one in a number of years but the few in OZ that i have experienced were always very good and seemed to be very close to the type of services offered by their US counterparts. The only thing missing was their own independent refueling services to provide competitive pricing on motion lotion.

Some FBOs of note were Hawker Pacific (Mascot, Brisbane) Australian Jet Charter (Mascot), QANTAS VIP (Mascot), Flight Facilities (Mascot). The later 2 no longer exist.

Flight crew were always looked after in all of these places. Top notch services.

Most had there own aircraft charter/maintenance business operating, but apart from that, in terms of meeting regulatory standards, i guess the airport you service would determine any requirements there ie. security, access etc

Time Bomb Ted
4th Apr 2006, 02:05
I totally agree about South West. Pete has a great setup and is good value for money. It is amazing what a bit of enthusiasm can do for an operation.

Good Onya Pete.

TBT

timoc1
5th Apr 2006, 07:06
I have flown both here in AUS and a lot in the US and the big difference between “FBO’s” here and there is that here they charge WAY more. In the US smaller GA operators don’t pay a handling fee, especially if you purchase fuel. Yes, I know Australia doesn do that… In addition, one plus is in the US most FBO’s have crew cars available for the pilots to drive all over creation. This is great when you have hours to kill. HP down in Sydney do a fair job but you pay for it. Jetbase in Brissy is great as well. If u want more info PM me. I used to work for an FBO over in NY…

nomorecatering
5th Apr 2006, 07:43
Best FBO I have been to is Million Air Monterey in CA, about 50 nm south of San Francisco. Built like a Spanish Villa and servie is equal to any 5 star hotel. They even roll out a little red carpet for you.

Check out the pics www.millionairmonterey.com/fuel/

Another FBO somewhere in the US midwest advertises the female staff wearing hotpants.

itsbrokenagain
5th Apr 2006, 19:37
Flower Aviation is the one you are thinking of ( Salina Ks, half way for east coast to Las Vegas runs), see the logo below to give you an idea of the attributes of the staff, plus you get 1 steak per 100gallons purchased and a bottle of red or white wine ( not very good quality though) They also have the best crew meals ( should say feasts) in the country I think, the fresh made deserts are amazing.

http://www.floweraviation.com/sue.jpg

There is another one I think it was in St Louis where there are 2 FBO's side by side with them both fighting over you as you taxi in, the one on the right sends out a pair of girls in open topped golfcart who are wearing next to nothing with a follow me sign ! The other sends out a pair of old blokes who couldnt give a dam.... pity we have to go to the one with the old timers !