PDA

View Full Version : Arik Wings of Nigeria

Rani
1st Apr 2006, 17:18
Arik Air (Wings of Nigeria) has apparently finalized its corporate identity as shown on their updated internet homepage: http://www.arikair.com :ok:
Looks like a professionally-run start-up with lots of potential.
An internet search suggests 2 Boeing 737-300s destined for Arik are now parked at Dothun, Alabama (USA). Can anyone confirm if these have been painted and ready for delivery? Any inside developments welcome :)

jirginsama
3rd Apr 2006, 11:33
A NEW entrant into the aviation industry, Arik, is to absorb some former workers of the defunct Nigeria Airways as the airline plans its inaugural flight before the end of next month.

The airline plans to operate domestic and international routes when eventually designated.

The airline has already employed some aircraft engineers of the former national carrier still regarded "as very good".

Also, the Director-General of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), Dr. Irene Chigbue and the Liquidator of Nigeria Airways, Mr. Babington Ashaye will today officially do the transfer of Nigeria Airways headquarters to Arik.

Some of the assets to be handed over to the new airline include a gigantic administrative building, aircraft hangers, maintenance section, and some useful aircraft parts, valued at over $2 million.

The Guardian learnt that the airline is willing to absorb experienced workers from other airlines and those from Nigeria Airways who are still useful to the airline's operations.

The airline, The Guardian learnt, has started recruiting cabin crew and other workers.

Some of the workers have been redundant since the controversial liquidation and sale of Nigeria Airways Limited (NAL) assets described as "undervalued."

Some of them had protested the non-payment of their severance benefits and other entitlements, and the demolition of the official quarters of top officials of the former airline.

They vowed not to relinquish their quarters until all their entitlements were paid.

However, Ashaye had said that all the entitlements of the workers had been paid, just as he denied that his firm had a hand in the demolition of the quarters.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article14

18left
3rd Apr 2006, 12:34
lets wait and see if
1.they pay salaries on time
2.they maintain thier equipment
3.they dont over work the crew with 200hours/month
4.they put competent managers to run the show not pilots who have flown so snd so(not managed so and so)

did i just summarise problems with local airlines?

otherwise my brother it will just be another come and go show like the capitals the irs"s okadas.adc"s, e.t.cand i assure you if they are looking for type rated pilots thats a very bad sign

ZAZOO
4th Apr 2006, 18:21
lets wait and see if
1.they pay salaries on time
2.they maintain thier equipment
3.they dont over work the crew with 200hours/month
4.they put competent managers to run the show not pilots who have flown so snd so(not managed so and so)

did i just summarise problems with local airlines?

:) :) :)

Hi 18Left well I can understand your comments here, but let me just say that this operation is here to stay old friend!!

Watchout :ok:

PS: Hi RANI, boy looks like you got it all down, me still thinks you based in lagos though.;)

oneeyed
4th Apr 2006, 21:37
Arik, is to absorb some former workers of the defunct Nigeria Airways as the airline plans its inaugural flight before the end of next month.

I'm short of words - all I'm able to say is Good Luck Guys you will need every bit you can get:oh:

MD12
9th Apr 2006, 13:18
737 rated and willing to move, I´m looking for ARik's contact details. Any idea?
Thanks.

MD

oba_idan_amani
1st May 2006, 14:57
Rumour has it that Arik Air might be acquiring 2 B737-800. Any thruth to this, anyway, I will keep on digging around. They seem to be the next big thing in the Nigerian aviation market right now.

Oba Idan Amani

GIA767
4th May 2006, 15:01
I think they've ordered 2 CRJ 900's. Can anyone confirm the source?
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2752648/6/#ID2752648

Engine Noise
4th May 2006, 15:12
http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/05/04/Navigation/189/206378/Bombardier+places+first+African+CRJ900s+with+Nigerian+startu p.html

coco-nuts
11th May 2006, 17:20
Been led to believe that Arik Air will be getting the 2 -300's and 4 crj's.
Just what a contractor told me about the job, tis all. The contractor is the number 1 in the business so one can bet that this outfit is here to stay or at least make a very good impression for the time being. I am led to believe that assessments will be carried out in the near future with regards to pilots being hired. I hope this helps you local boys out with more jobs on offer.

cheers
coco

oba_idan_amani
21st May 2006, 22:57
The website www.arikair.com (http://www.arikair.com) has been updated. The ex-Nigerian Airways building and hanger in lagos is almost complete. Some pre-selected pilots were called for interview last week and I heard (rumour) some selected Cabin Crew are already off to Canada for initial training.

Oba Idan Amani

fourplay
22nd May 2006, 14:56
Very interesting, thanks for the update, been watching the website.

Looks good.

CEO looks like YSL....:} :} :}

Towerman
22nd May 2006, 21:49
The B737's underwent test flights today and look out of this world - inside and out.

Rani
29th May 2006, 13:39
Any developments? IATA code, 737 delivery dates, milestone dates, etc.

bafanguy
29th May 2006, 13:55
Latest ad I've seen from Arik is for both 737 & 757 crews.

Spike from Flyi
30th May 2006, 14:02
I'm supposed to bring a 900 across from Canada to Lagos in a couple of weeks. Seems like they're getting their act together. I have not heard any talk of 757s. I'm curious as to the source. Did anyone confirm the sighting of the 737s in Dothan, AL?

Towerman
30th May 2006, 14:44
The 2 x B737 are ready to leave Dothan in the next week - in full Arik Livery

There are no plans for B757's

bafanguy
30th May 2006, 17:24
There are no plans for B757's

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but the ad appeared on www.climbto350.com on May 28th and mentioned B757 repeatedly throughout the lengthy post.

AIRFANRIB
30th May 2006, 19:27
Both aircraft are flight ready, and in the final stages of delivery to Arik Air, departure from Dothan Alabama is scheduled for some time next week, we look forward to the arrival of the aircraft to our home base here in lagos.

GlobalFlyer
10th Jun 2006, 08:50
Looks like the first 737-322 is being deliverd now! Here is a photo of soon to be registered 5N-MJA at Southend, UK.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1057786/M/

cigar
10th Jun 2006, 09:05
One of the best looking B733s around!! Arik Air seem to be well capitalised - who's the brain/wallet behind them??
Good luck to them - they should keep VK on their toes.

GlobalFlyer
10th Jun 2006, 09:18
Cigar,

The owners or Arik Air is a firm known as Ojemai Investments...nothing more is known about its background.

The airline has a mixture of Nigerian and expatriate managers, one of which is Alex van Elk, the ex-Manager of a low-cost airport in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Considering the value of their 2 x CRJ-900 orders, it appears the airline is one of the most capitalized airline start-ups in the West Coast region.

Can't wait to see the CRJ-900 arrive as well!

LGW Vulture
10th Jun 2006, 09:32
One of the best looking B733s around!! Arik Air seem to be well capitalised - who's the brain/wallet behind them??

...if I told you, I'd have to shoot you!

Let's say Arik should be around for a while ...... you aint seen nothin' yet!

Rani
10th Jun 2006, 12:02
The owner might be a Mr. Arumemi Johnson.

I suspect he's an industrialist based in Port Harcourt, with interests in oil and gas...

Mama Mangrove
10th Jun 2006, 12:35
I have to agree that the livery really is nice looking. I guess that Aero will also have to look to their laurels, as well as VK if Arik service is as good as the paint job.

cigar
10th Jun 2006, 15:14
Thanks all for the replies - they certainly seem to be aiming big!!

Spike from Flyi
10th Jun 2006, 16:29
Apparently they are hiring.

http://www.arikjobs.com/jobs/publish/#category_4

Spike from Flyi
12th Jun 2006, 10:21
FG wants Arik Air to boost aircraft maintenance

The PUNCH, Wednesday April 05, 2006
The Minister of Aviation, Dr. Babalola Borisade, on Tuesday advised the management Arik Air Limited, which acquired the headquarters building and hangar facilities of the defunct Nigeria Airways, to utilise them to boost maintenance capacity in the country.
Akin Olukunle
Borisade stated this when he hosted the management of Arik Air led by its chairman, Mr. Arumemi Johnson in Abuja. The management team met the minister with two representatives of Bombardier, one of the world's leading aircraft manufacturers.
The minister lamented that Nigeria aircraft operators were often forced to travel to Europe, East and South Africa, and other developed countries, for the maintenance of their fleet.
He said the Federal Government expected that the facilities would be developed into a world-class aircraft maintenance facility that would satisfy the needs of aircraft operators in the sub-region.
Behind the old Nigeria Airways was a solid infrastructure for fleet maintenance. That culture of maintenance also died with the demise of Nigeria Airways. So, it is my hope that the new owners would revamp the facilities to help the industry," he added.
Reiterating the government's commitment to reforms, Borisade noted that his ministry would continue to strive to create a conducive atmosphere for investors to thrive.
In his speech, Johnson expressed the preparedness of his airline to contribute its quota to the nation's aviation industry.
Johnson applauded President Olusegun Obasanjo's foreign policy thrust, which he said, has helped to repair the country's foreign image such that "confidence of foreign investors is now growing in the nation's economy."
"With the laudable effort, we are now able to access partners overseas, who are willing to enter into agreement with us. We are motivated over and above other considerations by the spirit of patriotism to create a positive change," he added.
Johnson hinted that his airline had already employed over 50 aeronautical engineers and was in the process of employing 30 pilots who would be trained in the United Kingdom.
He pleaded with the government to designate Arik Air as the nation's flag carrier and be given rights to fly domestic and international routes, especially lucrative ones in the nation's Bilateral Air Service Agreements with other countries.
We shall soon commence full commercial operations with brand-new aircraft fresh from the assembly plant abroad," he added.
Mr. Andy Nurredin, Bombardier applauded the latest effort of Arik Air and said, "As the technical partner, we are committed to ensuring a flawless take-off of Arik Air in Nigeria. We are solidly behind Arik to serve as a showcase in Africa."
Nurredin said Bombardier would also assist in building local capacity in terms of maintenance of aircraft.

Rani
15th Jun 2006, 15:40
CRJ-900s are here :D
http://atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=6%2F15%2F2006
Thursday June 15, 2006
Nigerian startup Arik Air took delivery of two CRJ900s yesterday in Montreal, becoming the first operator of the aircraft in Africa. The order was announced last month (ATWOnline, May 9). Two aircraft now are making their way to Nigeria with two more to follow in the next several months.
At an emotional ceremony at Bombardier's Mirabel facility, Nigerian officials expressed pride and optimism over the future of aviation in the county of 120 million while Archbishop Patrick Ebosele Ekpu invoked a special blessing for the new aircraft. "Two years ago we started out on this journey, trying to find out which aircraft was best," said Arik Air Chairman J.I.A. Arumemi-Johnson. "We wanted new aircraft. For the past 23 years, we never had a new aircraft in Nigeria." He told ATWOnline that Arik selected the CRJ900 because of its technology, operating economics and high level of customer support. He also said the airline recently acquired assets belonging to the former Nigeria Airways. In addition to the 900s that will begin service this summer, Arik has two previously owned 737s and three CRJ200s. The fleet also includes two Hawker 800XPs for corporate use.
Harold Demuren, DG of Nigerian Civil Aviation, said aging aircraft are a great concern in Africa. "We were looking for a potential carrier to operate modern aircraft," he said. "It should not be different in Africa." He cited the need for "a high level of reliability, support and maintenance." Initially the CRJ900s will be flown by Bombardier pilots while Arik Air pilots undergo training in Canada. Lufthansa Technik will provide maintenance services for the privately held carrier.
by Sandra Arnoult

Flying Touareg
16th Jun 2006, 07:15
Borishade: Used Aircraft on Way Out of Nigeria
As Arik Air takes delivery of two new jets in Canada

Aviation Minister, Dr. Babalola Borishade has said the challenge of competition may force airline operators in the country to abandon used aircraft, which is predominant today for new ones in the next one or two years.
In an interview with THISDAY shortly after the chairman of Arik Air, which recently acquired facilities of defunct Nigeria Airways, Sir JIA Arumemi-Johnson, took delivery of two new CRJ900 from Bombardier Aerospace of Montreal, Canada yesterday, Borishade said with the vision and drive of the management of Arik Air in purchasing two new aircrafts, the ensuing competition would necessarily force other airlines to follow suit.
"The good thing is other airlines had seen this coming and were already making moves to respond. I'm aware that Bellview Airline is making arrangements to procure new aircraft. What Arik Air has done today was what we expected Virgin Nigeria to do when they flagged off their operations. I'm optimistic that with the challenge of competition, there would be no room for used aircraft in the country's airspace in the next one or two years," Borishade said.
Delivering his goodwill message at the formal presentation of the two aircraft to the Arik Air management team at the Bombardier Mirabel Assembly Plant, Borishade expressed the hope that the partnership between the airline and the plane manufacturer would not simply be that of trading.
"I hope the partnership portends maintenance and operations of aircraft. I look forward to a productive, expansive and sustainable maintenance relationship which transcends buying of aircraft,"he said.
While congratulating Bombardier for their commitment and dedication, and Arik for their vision and creativity, Borishade expressed pleasure to be part of the history being made.
Director General of Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr. Harold Demureem, urged Bombardier to assist Arik Air in maintenance and staff training. He promised not to compromise safety standards so that the country's airspace could meet international best practices.
Bombardier president, Mr. Pierre Beaudoin, commended Arik Air and the Federal Government for the initiative in buying two new aircraft for Nigeria and West Africa. He said the new aircraft will stimulate growth in the sub-region and commended the changes taking place in the aviation sector in Nigeria.
The Canadian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. David Angel, expressed happiness that Bombardier has taken advantage of the reforms and positive developments going on in Nigeria to seek investment opportunities and hoped others in the Canadian business community would do likewise.
Arumemi-Johnson, receiving a symbolic key of the aircraft, said the presentation is the beginning of a dream to make Arik Air dominate the African airspace with at least 60 aircraft in no distant future.
The two aircraft were named "Anthony"and "Patrick" after the Catholic bishop of Lagos Anthony Cardinal Okogie and his counterpart in Benin Diocese Archbishop Patrick Ebosele Ekpu. The latter was at the ceremony to bless the aircraft before a test flight from Bombardier Mirabel facility to their base at the Montreal international airport, about 40 minutes flight. On board the flight were Borishade, Demureem, the management team of Bombardier and Arik Air as well as the press crew.

The CRJ900 is the flagship of Bombardier Aerospace, the leading regional aircraft manufacturer in the world. It is built for about 90 passengers.

Apart from the two new CRJ900, the first by any commercial airline operator in over 20 years, Arik Air, which acquired the former Nigeria Airways facilities only recently, has in its fleet three Bombardier CRJ200 (2003), two Boeing 737-322 (1989) and two hawker executive jets 800XP (2004).

The airline intends to begin operations between July and August and will fly Kaduna, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Benin, Enugu, Jos, Maiduguri, Kano and Lagos routes. It will also fly three international routes in Dakar, Senegal; Accra, Ghana; and Malabo, Equitorial Guinea.

surely not
16th Jun 2006, 10:17
Over what time period is that route start up scheduled? If they are going to be automated res and c-in then it is likelyto be over quite a while I would suggest. Surely they are not going to be manual res and c-in??

TomBola
16th Jun 2006, 10:31
With the new aircraft it has, the old Nigeria Airways facilities and an apparent willingness to spend money Arik Air should succeed. What they do also need to do, however, is to make sure that their staff have a customer oriented attitude. Too often in Nigeria a new business starts up with great fanfares for a lot of expenditure, then within 2 years it's all over. Unlike so many the other operators, Arik must make sure that facilities work, the aircraft are properly maintained, good time keeping, staff are polite (even when dealing with the typical pushy Nigerian businessman :) ). Too many airlines are let down by dreadful check-in facilities and rude, uncaring aggressive check-in staff before the customer even boards an aircraft. I know that Aero has a well maintained aircraft fleet, with well-trained crews and attractive, educated cabin staff, but the whole thing is let down by their crowded check-in area and dreadful check-in staff. I'd rather fly with them, but I find the VK experience so much nicer, especially at Lagos. I don't know why Bellview publishes a timetable - they'd do better just giving a day, rather than a time for aircraft departures :mad: . At present I don't feel safe flying with any other airline, looking at their old aircraft and no apparent facilities for maintenance except a small space on the tarmac somewhere at MMIA :suspect: . So please, Arik, learn well from the mistakes of others and if you can do that, good luck with your new venture :ok:

Spike from Flyi
20th Jun 2006, 15:21
They seem to be stumbling. I was to be one of their initial "contract" pilots and start flying for them in July. Now they're saying, "maybe September." Anyone know anything about they're plans/status?

Rani
20th Jun 2006, 17:49
According to press releases, the CRJ-900s will be piloted from July with a set of Bombardier pilots, until the Nigerians are fully trained in Canada.

Were you talking about 737-300 contracts?

Rani
20th Jun 2006, 18:10
LGW Vulture!

Any news about AOC?

Spike from Flyi
20th Jun 2006, 20:57
According to press releases, the CRJ-900s will be piloted from July with a set of Bombardier pilots, until the Nigerians are fully trained in Canada.

Were you talking about 737-300 contracts?

No. Contracted by Bombardier for the CRJ 900.

Sal-e
21st Jun 2006, 22:06
Any ideas on salary rates?

Spike from Flyi
21st Jun 2006, 22:11
My rate is pretty steep, but it's not what they will pay their actual employees.

GlobalFlyer
21st Jun 2006, 22:28
I also wonder about AOC, etc. An awful lot of work has to be done before launch of revenue flights. With no AOC, IATA code, distribution channels, etc. its difficult to see how Arik can launch revenue flights in July !? This of course is unless the NCAA speedily grants AOC based on 737 proving flights,etc.

Why haven't the CRJ-900s been flown from Mirabel to Nigeria yet?
technical glitches, I wonder, or has Arik not paid up yet :E

Spike from Flyi
22nd Jun 2006, 01:31
Why haven't the CRJ-900s been flown from Mirabel to Nigeria yet?
technical glitches, I wonder, or has Arik not paid up yet :E

I don't know. I got a story that we were supposed to ferry them, then they were sending us to Lagos early to get the paerwork sorted out (NCAA license and medical), then, right after the love-fest at Mirabel, they said, no action until perhaps September. If anyone has information, I'd love to know the REAL story.

GIA767
22nd Jun 2006, 03:53
The fourth Virgin Nigeria 737-300.
Sorry i couldnt find the original virgin nigeria thread , thats why im posting it here.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5752801

GlobalFlyer
22nd Jun 2006, 05:02
i couldnt find the VK thread either.

The 4th 737 for VK is due to replace the last remaining A320 in the fleet.

It was rumored that this latest example would have winglets. Either it really was a rumor or VK can't afford them?

Next 737 5N-VNE due in August I think , when ABJ will be added to the network, along with Maiduguri and Jos.

GIA767
22nd Jun 2006, 16:04
THE FIRST CRJ900

htpp://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00731290

LGW Vulture
22nd Jun 2006, 17:04
LGW Vulture!
Any news about AOC?

All in time, sometimes there are little snags here and there for any new start-up and of course, Arik is no different. No need for anyone to throw toys out of the pram. :)

surely not
22nd Jun 2006, 18:44
I believe that the lack of winglets on the next 737 for VK is down to the need to get the aircraft working rather than wait around for approvals from those who need to approve the mods in Nigeria. :}
The fact that the rest of the world accepts the mods isn't always taken into consideration :{ :{

Falcon50driver
12th Jul 2006, 21:36
I have just been contacted on my interest fo being part of this new airline.No details yet.Anybody have any idea on the salary rates for expats?dont know if i will take this opportunity ,im just curious to see the operation and see waht they promise flight crews,Nigerians are famous for coruption and lies so we have to see.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ifly_airbus
14th Jul 2006, 02:18
I received an email from 3com Consultancy & Recruitement stating a job match for Arik Air. I replied back, sent my resume, and a day later I received an email from Stella(HR manger for Arik Air) with my travel plans to nigeria with out an interview. Is this a scam? I did a little google search on the company and it seems to be legit airline? Kinda strange being offered to fly to nigeria without an interview of some sort....

Anyone else get the same email or offer?

Thanks
Wendell:confused:

Falcon50driver
14th Jul 2006, 02:39
I received an email from 3com Consultancy & Recruitement stating a job match for Arik Air. I replied back, sent my resume, and a day later I received an email from Stella(HR manger for Arik Air) with my travel plans to nigeria with out an interview. Is this a scam? I did a little google search on the company and it seems to be legit airline? Kinda strange being offered to fly to nigeria without an interview of some sort....

Anyone else get the same email or offer?

Thanks
Wendell:confused:

Have my doubts on the recruiting agency,I tried calling,number didnt exist.did you send ur licence and medical?i havent done that my licence is also my social security (cant be to carefull)any other contact with them??phone call?
The company itself doesnt have a phone number but it is legit,although no email either.have dig deeper to find more info

18left
15th Jul 2006, 09:48
Nigerians are famous for coruption and lies so we have to see.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dear falcon50driver,pls add the word some to any negative statement about nigerians.
I am a nigerian pilot,i am not corrupt and i dont lie except to my wife.
If you have done your homework well you would realise that there is a pilot shortage in nigeria and airlines are getting desperate,and as a new entrant arik air would be more desperate tahn othersthat is not corruption or lies but facts:ok:
By the way i paid and ordered for goods over three months ago from a uk company that is yet to deliver or take my calls hence my believe that SOME brits are corrupt not all.

Falcon50driver
15th Jul 2006, 12:59
Dear falcon50driver,pls add the word some to any negative statement about nigerians.
I am a nigerian pilot,i am not corrupt and i dont lie except to my wife.
If you have done your homework well you would realise that there is a pilot shortage in nigeria and airlines are getting desperate,and as a new entrant arik air would be more desperate tahn othersthat is not corruption or lies but facts:ok:
By the way i paid and ordered for goods over three months ago from a uk company that is yet to deliver or take my calls hence my believe that SOME brits are corrupt not all.

My dear 18left,

There are rotten apples in every barrel and this "recruiting agency" certainly raises enough flags for me not to send any personal information.Additionally they are asking me to open an account in Nigeria with 500 dollar deposit,would you do it?? dind nt think so!!!!.Not even a phone interview,
not an application form,a free email account,no web page,a phone number that doesnt exist.Now you tell me what you think?

GlobalFlyer
15th Jul 2006, 13:38
Why don't you forward their e-mail to the Nigerian Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). They build a database of criminal e-mail accounts and use some techonology to track the cuplrits.

Google EFCC and find the link on their website.

bgrim
15th Jul 2006, 14:41
Listen to your intuition regarding sending money to Nigeria for recruitment. Arik has two aircraft in their Boeing 737's and CRJ-CL-65-900. I cannot speak to the B737 pilot recruitment but I know about the CRJ pilot recruitment. It is only via a Canadian company working for Bombardier. They do not require deposits in Nigeria. A word to the wise should be sufficient.:ok:

skycaptain81
16th Jul 2006, 17:37
[QUOTE=18left]
If you have done your homework well you would realise that there is a pilot shortage in nigeria and airlines are getting desperate,
Dear 18left,
I beg to Disagree that there is a shortage of pilots in Nigeria.I know 15 Nigerian pilots on a first name basis(my humble self included) who have been in the labour market for almost 2 years.
Hearing peple talk about a dearth of pilots in Nigeria sounds like Government propaganda to get some airlines to sponsor students in the flight school at Zaria.
Which is quite a tall order when you consider the fact that most Nigerian Airlines are not willing to spend about $10,000U.S to pay for a type rating(bond included) in order to get a pilot who already has a CPL/IR/ME.

gtale77
17th Jul 2006, 20:26
Ok this time they have miraculously dropped the 6000 USD Document processing fee to only 3000 dollars. Is this company for real? Sounds like a scam.

anybody know about this outfit?

Flying Touareg
17th Jul 2006, 21:21
PLEASE IF ANYONE IS ASKING YOU TO PAY PROCESSING FEES, KINDLY DISREGARD. BEWARE!

Falcon50driver
18th Jul 2006, 02:16
Ok this time they have miraculously dropped the 6000 USD Document processing fee to only 3000 dollars. Is this company for real? Sounds like a scam.

anybody know about this outfit?
There are certainy plenty of red flags,i sent them an emial stating that i needed the signature cards for the account,and phone number .they promply disappeared.havent heard from them anymore

fokkerfellow
18th Jul 2006, 10:43
To all who read and make posts here, I am The Director of Flight Operations for Arik Air.
We have never heard of 3com recruiting.
If any person or group is claiming to represent Arik Air and asking for money it is a scam, DO NOT PAY you are wasting your time and money.
Arik Air does not employ any pilot with out an interview first and if you are sucessful at the interview you will then be sent to GECAT in the UK for Psychometic/Aptitude test/GECAT interview and simulator assesment.
Only if you are sucessful at this final stage will you recieve an offer of employment.
There are no fees payable to anyone at any time for anything to do with the interview process or recruitment.
Wecome to the real Arik Air.

LGW Vulture
18th Jul 2006, 21:12
To all who read and make posts here, I am The Director of Flight Operations for Arik Air.
We have never heard of 3com recruiting.
If any person or group is claiming to represent Arik Air and asking for money it is a scam, DO NOT PAY you are wasting your time and money.
Arik Air does not employ any pilot with out an interview first and if you are sucessful at the interview you will then be sent to GECAT in the UK for Psychometic/Aptitude test/GECAT interview and simulator assesment.
Only if you are sucessful at this final stage will you recieve an offer of employment.
There are no fees payable to anyone at any time for anything to do with the interview process or recruitment.
Wecome to the real Arik Air.

......Ahhhh! A voice of reason....thankfully!

sani_abacha
28th Jul 2006, 06:15
I'm not a pilot or connected with the aviation industry, i was just browsing but felt so strongly i had to register and post a reply

some of you guys are so annoying, so ignorant and so stupid. A company of this stature advertises using free email account and you respond???? did you really have to ask what people thought? you must either be a dodgy character, a moron, very desperate or all of the above

A company has just spent $69 million acquiring 2 new planes, not to talk of the 2 used 737s, the other bombardier planes (Virgin Atlantic, if I recall started with only one plane) and the fact that they've spent over $10m to acquire landed properties of the defunct nigeria airways. There are numerous articles on reputable websites, numerous press releases regarding the airline including pictures of at least 2 of the planes. The company itself has a website. Does this sound like a cowboy outfit? Does it cost you anything to make an effort to check certain things. Money for job? fly you out without an interview? Goodness the free email (yahoo, hotmail) is a dead giveaway, how do people fall for such I don't understand. cmon even a six yr old would immediately realise that some scammers are trying to pull a fast one, but of course the ignorant idiot that you are, who cannot see anything good in Nigeria (but is willing to go there to make a living) and immediately casts aspertions on the intergrity of the company.

while I acknowledge some Nigerians give us a bad name, you guys must remmember a few things

1. Not every british man is a repressed gay, neither is every Arab a terrorist, nor every American brash and ignorant .....Not every foreigner in Nigeria is 2nd or 3rd rate and by the same token not every Nigerian is corrupt or a scam artist

2. While the scammers are a national embarassment, the so called Nigerian scammers can only scam someone who is greedy or himself dodgy (maybe he cannot survive in his country through normal channels or his career history is questionable?) or a crook, so in a way some of them deserve what they get. Besides I if Nigeria/Nigerians are so bad why do you want to go there?

3. I'm used to comments about nigeria/nigerians. but I won't stand a 3rd rate foreigner (i say that for not being intelligent enough to pick the obvious tell tale signs) or some dodgy character (and you must be for even being desperate enough to consider responding to such an advert) insulting my country.

4. As regards corruption, We were a peaceful and prosperous country before the Europeans came along and messed it up. laugh if you like but if you check the history of all the hotspots in the world (iraq, sudan, afghanistan, congo, liberia, who put Saddam in power? who put the Taliban in Power? who created and sustained Mobutu? etc etc) they are all legacies of the Europeans/ americans corruptly altering the political balance for their own selfish ends as they left. The corruption you see in Nigeria or Africa has a lot to do with a legacy of the colonialists. I'm not talking crap, do your research on Nigerian history there is a well publicised account of a former british diplomat in Nigeria where he accounts for brtish shenanigans in Nigeria just before independence ( I will look for it and post it). A lot of the people in power today are still the same crop of puppets that were around when the british left (thankfully they are dying one by one). A lot of the miscreants that populated the Nigerian Army and were responsible for the ploundering of the Nigerian state are the results of british machinations before they handed over power . but already the new school are taking root and eventually it will be contained. I'm not saying that makes it ok, i'm just saying, stop all this moral high ground, you guys are no better! You just have the advantage of years of independence , development and a cohesive as opposed to an artificial country like Nigeria!

With regard to the Nigerian pilot who posted saying there are loads of Nigerian pilots without jobs, this is my response: Quite honestly I would prefer a qualified Nigerian pilot flying me. I'm generally not impressed with the quality of foreigners I find in Nigeria in other fields whenever I visit. If the standards are the same, I'm sure any airline would most certainly rather pay in Naira than pay for a foreign pilot, so figure that out.

To the arik director who posted earlier: I thank you firstly for clearing the air before some ignorant foreigners turn a ray of light into a nigeria bashing exercise. Secondly this is the best thing i've seen in out of the Nigerian aviation industry since Virgin Nigeria, except this is really a Nigerian Airline - makes me proud to be a Nigerian. Please don't relent, maitain the standard you have set, I'm sick and tired of giving my money to British Airways and all the other foreign Airlines that treat us with contempt!

ps: the rant was not intended at the majority of you, just the 2 or so morons who pissed me off!!.

homesick rae
28th Jul 2006, 07:58
Does anyone have a contact number or email address for Arik please? Nowt on the website!

Cheers

HR

GlobalFlyer
18th Aug 2006, 15:49
What happened to the AOC?

It's odd, because they plan on commencing scheduled flights next month while the fleet is yet to be delivered! So much to do ahead of start-up, proving flights, AOC, sales outlets, etc.

Looks like NCAA is working them like dogs. Not even VK got this treatment!

AVSEC
18th Aug 2006, 17:29
fokker fellow, could you please pass on any contact details on whom to contact RE provision of aviation security services for Arik Air?
Would be interesting to find out what the real recruitment agency is called at least.

surely not
19th Aug 2006, 00:58
So much for Arik being the company that buys new and puts the rest of the Nigerian carriers to shame!!!
Flight International is reporting that their long haul fleet will be 2 x Airbus A310 and a DC10!!!! Please stop me from choking with my mirth!! So are these the long neglected heaps outside the Nigeria Airways hangar? They really think it is acceptable to use these aircraft? Not quite the same as a VK A340 or even a bluetail 767!!

VK started with 3 a/c Sani......... 2 x damp leased A320 and 1 x damp leased A340.

Rani
19th Aug 2006, 05:54
SN that's funny, but not quite true!
The article doesn't mention anything about these birds being used on the long-haul routes. I recall they were purchased from WT for spare parts use.
Furthermore, I REALLY dont think you can fly pax to Birmingham and Atlanta safely in the planes pictured below (pics taken in July 06) :)

http://www.fl400.com/Nigeria/images/PHTO0007.jpg

http://www.fl400.com/Nigeria/images/PHTO0011.jpg

http://www.fl400.com/Nigeria/images/PHTO0026.jpg

alghaita ganga
19th Aug 2006, 06:54
Since when is safety matter in Nigeria? A bit of super glue and duct tape and they will surely fly again almost like new :E

Flying Touareg
19th Aug 2006, 17:59
definitely rani, the aircrafts are being recoupled with the pieces being put back together. I think maybe the NCAA insisted that the aircrafts have to be dismembered first as a method of assesment:} :)

Rani
22nd Aug 2006, 05:35
From Flight International:

Nigeria's Arik shops for widebodies
By Max Kingsley-Jones
Nigerian start-up Arik Air is in discussions about buying new and secondhand widebody aircraft for its long-haul network, to be introduced next year.

The airline aims to launch short-haul services by early October and will take delivery this year of two ex-United Airlines Boeing 737-300s as well as three new Bombardier CRJ900s and three secondhand CRJ200s leased from GE Commercial Aviation Services.

Arik Air managing director Alex Van Elk says the airline's owner - Nigerian powerplant manufacturer Rockson Engineering - has purchased the assets of the country's now defunct flag carrier Nigeria Airways, including its old aircraft, hangars and headquarters. "The deal included Nigeria Airways' old [Airbus] A310 and [McDonnell Douglas] DC-10 aircraft, which we are scrapping," he says.

Van Elk says negotiations are underway with Airbus, Boeing and other suppliers about the acquisition of "three or four" widebodies for delivery next year: "The short lead-time may mean we have to take secondhand aircraft in the interim." He adds that more short-haul aircraft are also wanted.

Arik Air has local approvals in place to launch transatlantic services from Lagos to Atlanta and Houston next year, as well as flights to London Stansted. The initial short-haul network, to start by October, comprises nine domestic and four international services.