PDA

View Full Version : baggage restrictions in different regions of the world...

pilotezulu
1st Apr 2006, 17:17
hi guys,

just wondering if any of you know why baggage restrictions are so different in different parts of the world.

i've flown as a passenger, plenty between africa, the USA, the UK, Asia and Australia... but have always wondered why i was restricted to baggage on certain routes.

For example, most routes to Europe or the US allow 32kg x 2 pieces to check in, whereas routes to Asia and Australia only allow 23kg x 1 piece. I mean, I understand that all airlines have different policies, etc... (though I'm not quite sure it has to do with policies) ... it just bothers me when we're flying on say a 747-400 to London from Johannesburg you can carry 2 pieces, worth 32kilos but from Johannesburg to Sydney is like 23kilos.

It would be great to hear from someone regarding this. I have not a clue on why this is.

thanks in advance.

Globaliser
2nd Apr 2006, 15:01
For example, most routes to Europe or the US allow 32kg x 2 pieces to check in, whereas routes to Asia and Australia only allow 23kg x 1 piece. I mean, I understand that all airlines have different policies, etc... (though I'm not quite sure it has to do with policies) ... it just bothers me when we're flying on say a 747-400 to London from Johannesburg you can carry 2 pieces, worth 32kilos but from Johannesburg to Sydney is like 23kilos.If you know an airline that allow 2 x 32 kg between London and Joburg, or within Europe would you like to share its identity with us?

The piece count allowance is usually applied to flights to North America and nearby destinations.

pilotezulu
2nd Apr 2006, 16:45
If you know an airline that allow 2 x 32 kg between London and Joburg, or within Europe would you like to share its identity with us?
The piece count allowance is usually applied to flights to North America and nearby destinations.

Globaliser,

I guess I did miss out saying that this was en-route to North America.

I am just curious to know why the allowances (whether kilos or number of pieces of checked in baggage) are different for flights to/from North America and elsewhere, even though the aircraft types maybe the same.

I do understand that it has to do with regulations etc, but technically is there something that is the reason for all this?

Globaliser
2nd Apr 2006, 17:00
I guess I did miss out saying that this was en-route to North America.

I am just curious to know why the allowances (whether kilos or number of pieces of checked in baggage) are different for flights to/from North America and elsewhere, even though the aircraft types maybe the same.Ah, yes: If you have a through-ticket from North America to anywhere, the North American baggage allowance should apply to the whole journey. So you could get a 2 x 32kg allowance for LON-SYD as well by having a through-ticket. Otherwise UK-Europe, LON-JNB and LON-SYD should all be 20/23 kg per person.

I don't know much about the history of the North American limit, but ISTR that it had something to do with the US airlines insisting on applying their domestic limits to international travel notwithstanding the general agreement on 20/23 kg per person. Of course, everyone else then had to concede the same allowance to remain competitive.

If that was in fact the origin, it's ironic that it's the US airlines who have led the rush to pull back to 2 x 23 kg on the North Atlantic routes, although it will only be a matter of time before everyone else has also moved back to this free allowance.

striparella
10th Apr 2006, 00:37
I was always under the impression it was for cargo purposes.

Most eastern routes generate huge amount of revenue cargo compared to the US routes, so the American destinations can afford a higher baggage allowance.

I know Shanghai and Jo'burg are big cargo customers, and both have a small baggage allowance and huge excess fees where i work!

Globaliser
10th Apr 2006, 10:50
I can see how that might affect the strictness with which current baggage allowances are enforced on certain routes, but I think that the discrepancy pre-dates the current pattern of cargo flows around the world.

Also, that wouldn't explain why it's still 2 x 32 kg (or, increasingly, 23 kg) for traffic from the Far East to the US.