PDA

View Full Version : Banner Towing

AeroSpark
1st Apr 2006, 14:05
Maybe a daft question but here goes anyway. When you see a light aircraft towing one of those message banners, how does it get there? I'm asuming its just unfurled once the aircraft is airborne?
There is a genuine reason for wanting to know such an inane bit of information, I'm not just sad, honestly!:uhoh:

Gnirren
1st Apr 2006, 14:08
Typically there's a rig on the ground that holds the banner cable up, then you fly the plane down and catch it with a hook or similar (takes practice!). Then when you land you first drop the banner with a release lever and that's it.

Maybe a daft question but here goes anyway. When you see a light aircraft towing one of those message banners, how does it get there? I'm asuming its just unfurled once the aircraft is airborne?
There is a genuine reason for wanting to know such an inane bit of information, I'm not just sad, honestly!:uhoh:

AeroSpark
1st Apr 2006, 14:17
Thanks for that. Do I take it its a low wind manouvre? Reason I ask is that a group of Southampton supporters had hired a Cessna to overfly St Marys stadium towing a 'Lowe Out' banner:} Unfortunately the company cancelled the flight due to it being too windy to attach the cable. That explains why!

barit1
1st Apr 2006, 14:51
Once in the air the wind won't have much effect, but ground handling of a floppy banner is no fun at all.

18greens
1st Apr 2006, 20:43
Unfurling the banner in the air is too complex.

The banner is laid on the ground in reverse(back of the banner is furthest from the plane). You hold up the string end of the banner on two sticks and fly toward it with a grappel hook trailing from the back of the plane. If you catch the banner you peel it off the ground and fly away .

Intertingly the banner only flys at one speed. Too fast or slow and it rolls horizontal and you can't read it.