PDA

View Full Version : ANR headset, which one to choose?

ckhy
1st Apr 2006, 12:57
Hi guys i'm really sick of my DC13.4 that has been giving me headaches after a long flight and not doing the job too well with sunglasses.

so i thought of trading it off and chipping a bit in for a pair of ANR headset.

i currently have my eyes set on the lightspeed 20XL.

My budget is around the $400-450 mark so that just fit in.

Any opinions on the lightspeed 20XL would be great, or any other ANR headsets you guys would recommend?

I fly a single engine.

thanks in advance,

cheers

Charley
1st Apr 2006, 13:43
I owned - in fact, still own - a pair of Lightspeed 20XLs. I've never had any major problems with them, they're very comfortable and the ANR is pretty good. The only minor gripe I'd have would be the battery pack which, depending on where the jack sockets are located in your aircraft, can hang awkwardly. It's not heavy though, so it's more of an annoyance than a problem.

I liked them so much I upgraded to the Lightspeed 30-3G earlier this year, and they're even better.

The downside with Lightspeeds is that they're predominantly marketed for the US market so, unless you live in North America, getting parts and/or after-sales service could be difficult -- although I've never had to call on their service with the 20XLs. Lightspeeds are also quite large. Comfortable, light, but large. Prepare for 'Mickey Mouse' jibes from your colleagues! If the aircraft you fly is small and has limited headspace (e.g. DH Chipmunk, Piper Cub maybe) then try a pair before you buy to make sure they fit inside ok.

HTH
Charley

p.s. as with any ANR headset, make sure you carry a spare, readily-available set of batteries when you fly!

ckhy
1st Apr 2006, 13:49
Thanks Charley,

Yea i live in australia and found the retail price in aust is VERY different to the ones in the US.

Say the ones in aust here retails at around 560USD whereas you could easily locate a pair for 400USD on one of those US online sites.

I do have a big head and that's probably why i'm finding my DC clamping to my head too much,

Btw how do the lightspeed 20XL fit with sunglasses?

cheers mate

Charley
1st Apr 2006, 14:15
I imagine they'd deal with sunglasses pretty well. I wear specs (:8) and the ear-seals are generously padded and seal very well, so no problems for me on that score.