PDA

View Full Version : Sandown (Isle of Wight) Airport

1st Apr 2006, 12:45
Couple of questions:

As far as I have gathered there are 2 major airports or 2 airports near to Sandown/Shanklin.

These being Sandown and Bembridge - which one is the, Isle Of Wight airport?

Does anyone have photos of the airport (either Bembridge or Sandown) that they can share with me - looking for airport overviews which havnt been able to get on any sites such as airliners.net or jetphotos.net

I have searched this site before posting so don't bite my head off!

Cheers:ok:

MEON VALLEY FLYER
1st Apr 2006, 13:09
well they are both on the island's east side.

Bembridge has a tarmac strip and is where the 'islander' series of aircraft are 'assembled' (from Romanain parts). From what I remember it has shorter opening hours and is sort of quiet.

Sandown is the more GA type grass strip. With both fixed and rotary schooling available. Aparently the porta cabin cafe has been replaced, but the standard is just as friendly as before. You will also find some 'interesting' types either based, visiting or under re-build at Sandown. Even a spitfire from memory. Plus we used to get a good deal £ on circuit bashing, as Southampton where not keen (this was even before flybe arrived en-mass)

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
1st Apr 2006, 13:12
Bembridge even have a webcam on their webpage

http://www.eghj.com/webcam/

G-I-B

Oshkosh George
3rd Apr 2006, 12:48
Bembridge has a tarmac strip and is where the 'islander' series of aircraft are 'assembled' (from Romanain parts). From what I remember it has shorter opening hours and is sort of quiet.

I don't want to be picky,as it's not really relevant to the original question,but the Islanders are built in Romania,and usually flown to Bembridge for fitting out etc.