PDA

View Full Version : LET L410 crash in Brazil

1st Apr 2006, 13:32
from the BBC @ 11:29 today -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4867130.stm

HowlingWind
1st Apr 2006, 13:56
I spoke with a friend in Brazil today and he said most aboard were Brazilian, though it was believed there were also two expats. The plane had left Macae, the offshore oil capital of Brazil, and was enroute to Rio de Janeiro. Most aboard were probably connected with the oil industry, some from Petrobras and at least two Brazilian nationals who worked for a US-based drilling contractor.

I've flown that route many times on Team's competitor,Ocean Airways, and whilst it's not hard to find mountains anywhere around Rio, for the most part the flights tend to hug the coastline. From what I could gather on O Globo online, it was raining pretty heavily in the area where the plane crashed. FWIW the newspaper noted the "pilot" was said to be "experienced".

Geoffersincornwall
1st Apr 2006, 20:39
The news from colleagues in Macae is that the LET 410 had some technical difficulties and was attempting to return to Macae VFR.......at night....in rain! One of the pax was an aquaintence who was ops director for Lider. Also 4 Petrobras employees but none known to any of our team.

G

:ugh:

broadreach
4th Apr 2006, 02:59
Very sad to see one of these regional turboprops go down. The captain was 50, ex airforce, 5 years with TEAM and experienced on that particular route, if news reports are to be believed. Weather was pretty grim, cold front marching north along the coast and, as HowlingWind says, most flights tend to hug the coast. Ocean operate Brasilias and F-50s, TEAM Lets, neither very practical at getting above the weather system on such a short leg. Witnesses report hearing aircraft droning along in rain, low cloud cover, then a bang.