PDA

View Full Version : Once a Commander...

gen3
1st Apr 2006, 11:14
Hello all,
I have always thought that once you become a Commander, you're always a Commander but recent developments seem to prove this wong. I'd like to read other views and considereations that will go into taking a decision on this so here's the question...

"Will you give up your postion as Commander in job A for a Co-jo's position in job B?"

I look forward to a healthy discussion. Sorry if this topic has been discussed here before. :} :}

gen3 :cool:

GreenOnGo
1st Apr 2006, 11:28
You would have to look at the pros and cons of each job. I would certainly give up the job as Chief Pilot Commander of the company Mooney for a co-jo position on a ATR with Bushwacker Airlines, a stable company, with alright career progression and good management.

If I could get straight onto a 737, I would do that rather, but would have to consider each case on its merits.

B Sousa
1st Apr 2006, 14:00
Rarely have I heard of a 4 striper changing jobs and walking in another company as a 4 striper. Unless its small and they are in need......
Upgrading or changing Aircraft seems also to work that way. As it should......

Phenomenon
2nd Apr 2006, 13:46
Alot of airlines work on the "number system", which I feel is quite fair.

When you start with the company, you take a number and work your way up. When your number comes up you get an upgrade.

When you start at a new company, you start at the bottom again.

You just have to decide for yourself if you feel it's worth your while to start at the bottom again...

B200Drvr
2nd Apr 2006, 15:40
Absolutely,
If you do a lateral move for financial reasons (or other) and are offered a P1 position on the same type, that is fairly normal. If you change types or go to a big organisation you will almost always go back to being a P2. From my experience it is an industry norm. There is nothing wrong with being a P2 after P1, infact it is the only way to move to bigger and better things.

FlingWingKing
2nd Apr 2006, 18:59
It appears that you have reached a crossroad in your career. If we had a bit more info on your actual situation, it might be easier to give some advise (if that is what you seek)

"Command" = $..............thats the bottom line

Let me tell you a story...................

I just joined the SAAF and was selected to become a NAVIGATOR. One day I walk into the clothing store and noticed the following on the counter:

"Flying is like sex............
First you do it for the fun,
Then for a couple of friends....
And then for the MONEY.........!!!"

Lets say you are flying for company A as a commander on a B200 earning 5000 per month. Company A operates 20 aircraft.

Company B, operating 40 748's offers you a job as a co-jo for 3000 per month. Command potential is 18 months, salary 7000 per month.

What do YOU do?

Do you stay with A because you want the "command" hours or do you go with B because you want the "medium" on you licence??

Phenomenon
2nd Apr 2006, 19:08
Other things to take into account is the fact that you don't want to jump around between companies like a prostitute between clients, but also don't keep all you peas in one pod...

Make youself known to more than one company so you can easily move on should the need arise. :ok: