PDA

View Full Version : Tayflite for the IR

atplman
1st Apr 2006, 09:17
Hi,

Just done a search for tayflite and it came back with no hits. Was wondering if anybody has any advice for this school with regards to the IR? Cost, qualty of instruction etc. Tried emailing them but have had no response so far

Thanx

Fair_Weather_Flyer
1st Apr 2006, 10:26
I hear it's a good school and they are fairly cheap, but the local CAA examiner is notorious!

atplman
1st Apr 2006, 12:15
Would that be the legend that is DHH? If the training is good and you feel confident and make the grade then hopefully the boxes would be ticked. Also heard that DHH wasn't doing the IR exams anymore?
Cheers for the info on the school, thats what i wanted to hear, cheap and good quality :)
Did you go through your IR with them?

FlyBoyS340
1st Apr 2006, 13:50
Just completed CPL/IR with Tayflite-A fantastic FTO. I found it cost effective, a/c are fantastic, instructors are great too. My IR took 6 and 1/2 weeks 40 hrs in the sim and 15 in a/c. CPL took a bit longer due to the scottish weather. Oh and don't believe the hype about the examiner-very fair and thats all you can ask for really. Hope that helps.:)

atplman
1st Apr 2006, 14:01
Thanks for that. All i need now are the prices and their availability and hopefully i can sign up.
Was hoping to do it part time, anybody feel that this might pu
t too much pressure on myslef? 6 and a half weeks for a 55 hou
r IR is good going but if each sortee is around 2hours long and with a 2 hour brief/debrief it could be done quicker, so what is done in the meantime, apart from waiting for the weather?

GusHoneybun
1st Apr 2006, 16:05
most people when doing their IR are buddied up with another student. you may only do 2 hours flugalling a day, but you will be in the air for 4. you can learn just as much backseating as you can driving. anyway, that soon fills up a day
don't be in a rush to get this training done. it's the most important you will receive and when the poop goes fanwards, you want to have some sound training to fall back on.

tayflite sorted me out a few years ago, and i would have had no problem recommending them, but all of those instructors have left. heard some lukewarm things since.

atplman
2nd Apr 2006, 09:15
Not in a rush to do it but was just thinking about the time scale of doing it part time. What have you heard recently about the instructors?

buster172
2nd Apr 2006, 19:40
There is only one instructor for the IR, in the aircraft anyway and he was bloody excellent. I have never been worked so hard in all my training but if you can push yourself as much as he does and work as har as he does to get you up to speed, you'll do well. I enjoyed my time there as much as you can on the IR!
I'll second the thoughts on examiner, very fair.
I would recommend them.
Regards,
Buster

EGCC4284
2nd Apr 2006, 21:32
but the local CAA examiner is notorious!

I'll second the thoughts on examiner, very fair.

Where did you do your flight test from??????

Fair_Weather_Flyer
2nd Apr 2006, 22:41
I did my test in the South of England. However, I've known three people who have experienced multiple failures at the hands of the said examiner. This is not that funny if you are paying £700 for a test plus aircraft hire plus retraining. As for being "fair?" Well, as an instructor I've come to learn that this tends to mean, "a total b*****d who will always find something to fail you on."

Examiner X put me right off Tayflite which is kind of sad because as I said THEY are doing nothing wrong!

lovejoy
3rd Apr 2006, 00:15
Ok, I'm also keen to find out what "fair'"means.. does that mean you failed? "Fair" in my book means you pass first time without extra personal cost. What kind of things would this guy fail you on?
Posts from pilots who have had the pleasure of this examiner welcome...

buster172
3rd Apr 2006, 10:09
Lovejoy,

Fair means just that. You can make, and I did, quite a few mistakes and still pass.

I messed up some parts of the CPL and was given an opportunity to 'try' that again, despite having messed it up first time. The other bits he was very generous about and as the rest of my flying was ‘very good’ he let those other parts go. To me that is more than fair and good judgment.

Don’t be put off by an examiner, when you pass, you know you really passed and I learnt a great deal from the flights. Reading your post again, yes I got a partial on my CPL. Who’s fault was that? Not the examiners. I watched the section go wrong and I just wasn’t good enough on the day to fix it, he gave me every opportunity to and only when he could see I realyl wasnt going to get it, he told me I had failed that section, we moved on to the next bit saving me time and money. I wouldn’t have passed me either.

The thing is that doesn’t make it unfair, quite the opposite. If your good enough to pass, you will, that’s it.

Good luck.

:ok:

lovejoy
3rd Apr 2006, 13:04
thanks, it doesn't sound too bad.
Another question, where would you fly to on a typical cpl test from Perth?
I know it could be anywhere but I am thinking about doing a cpl with Tayflite and would like to do some of my hour building around the general area.

buster172
3rd Apr 2006, 13:16
Trips to Haddington, Duns, Drymen and up to Stonehaven and Inverbervie are typical.

The odd trip into the hills when the weather is good. Dont underestimate the local weather though :ugh: It can take months, not weeks.

Pm me if you would like anything in particular.

Regards,

Buster