PDA

View Full Version : cathay tech question

Dplus$
31st Mar 2006, 22:46
Haven't been able to figure this one out. Looking for a little help.
What happens to your aoa as you climb at a constant mn? questions...comments...

rogerover
1st Apr 2006, 00:00
The aoa should increase if you climb out in constant mn in an "ideal textbook" environment. There are many factors which can influence your aoa as you climb out in constant mn. Remember mach is influenced by temperature. mn=tas/lss (in which lss is influenced by temp as well) Hope this helps a little. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I'm at system overload right now.

barntrash
1st Apr 2006, 01:11
If you are climbing at constant MN, your IAS and TAS are both decreasing, therefore your aoa is increasing.TAS because the LSS is decreasing with temp, IAS is decreasing with pressure(density)

Dplus$
3rd Apr 2006, 18:03
thanks a lot guys. All makes sense.

FMC OVERHEAT
3rd Apr 2006, 22:20
Doesn't TAS increase with an increase in altitude ?

If you are climbing at constant MN, your IAS and TAS are both decreasing, therefore your aoa is increasing.TAS because the LSS is decreasing with temp, IAS is decreasing with pressure(density)

rvator
3rd Apr 2006, 23:02
Be practical (pragmatical ?....) if you do not remember the theory :
Assuming you are climbing to your absolute ceiling (what is done at a cst MN....) you will end up there with an AOA representative of your minimum drag "speed"..........that is less than your optimum climb "speed"........corresponding to higher incidence or AOA.....:uhoh:

barntrash
7th Apr 2006, 02:19
Re TAS, MN, LSS, and the question"does TAS increase with alt. Yes but the key is climbing at cnst MN. MN=tas/lss. LSS decreases as temp decreases,therefore maintaing a constant MN will result in a lower TAS.

Cloud Cutter
10th Apr 2006, 04:10
Doesn't TAS increase with an increase in altitude?

Given what variables? If you hold IAS constant then TAS will increase with altitude, but this question gives the condition of a constant Mach number. As stated, temp and therefore Local Speed of Sound reduce with altitude.