PDA

View Full Version : Air Macau

208inICE
31st Mar 2006, 14:38
Hi there,

I was trying to find out some info about Air Macau. If anyone has info about working conditions, pay, schedule, interview process and living in Macau I would appreciate it.

208inICE
4th Apr 2006, 11:02
thanks right-seat. i can't find out more info other than what's on their website. do they send you somekind of package what do expect from them before you g for the interview?

omnipotent
4th Apr 2006, 11:44
At the risk of popping anyone's balloon of dreams, be advised, Air Macau has some of the highest pilot turnover of any airline ANYWHERE. What does that tell you?????

I routinely chat with pilots currently working for Air Macau and they are all, without fail, going to finish there contracts and leave or leave prior to their contracts ending.

As noted, I myself do not fly for them and so am not entirely qualified to say much. The pilot turnover that Air Macau experiences, however, should provide a reasonable insight life at this airline.

208inICE
4th Apr 2006, 18:49
i guess i'm out of the race. got the type rating a little over a year ago and they didn't like that.
right seat: if they are not giving you some kind of outline of what to expect ie. paystructure etc. i'd be hard pressed to shell out $3000 for a maybe.......

but in any case i wish you good luck.

useless
5th Apr 2006, 03:30
You can check some basic info here: http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=v11hmrhwh935qv8h2ywmns0c4f98hcj2373hk6yt6pph 5mpx685 (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=v11hmrhwh935qv8h2ywmns0c4f98hcj2373hk6yt6pph 5mpx685)

F/O makes arround 5500 US$.
It's not very good or very bad airline,depends what are you looking for,what is your experience and what job you have now.Very small place.
Ticket to Hong Kong should be cheaper than 3000$.

faheel
5th Apr 2006, 09:17
If I were you I would ring them and ask them this question.
Will I be paid whilst under training?
A friend of may who was a current cpt on the A300 interviewed with them a couple of months ago.They told him they did not pay you until you checked out, except for accomodation.
You had to pay for all meals, expenses etc until they got around to training you.
Now this was for the cargo side of the operation so it may be different for the pax side but I would definately ring them first before you go and spend your hard earned money to get there :suspect:

Dani
5th Apr 2006, 11:13
RightSeat,
of course you have to ask some questions before you make your way. But I guess to get a job on a A320 is a good sign, if you don't have a rating, if you have one already, maybe you have plenty of offers, I guess...
The high turnover doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad company, but that your rating is worth a lot, and maybe more in other places...
I haven't heard a lot about Air Macau, neighter negative or positive, but it's not the worst airline to be, and living there can be quite some fun.

So cheer up, get yourself a cheeper ticket ;) and see that you get that job

Dani

useless
5th Apr 2006, 11:43
I think you don't get paid until released but have hotel,breakfast and daily allowance.If you have good experiance you can get better than Air Macau,but for beginers with type rating only is good place to build up some experience.

Arrowhead
15th Apr 2006, 12:07
You can do a lot worse than 3% tax, and low cost of living.

And no realy early starts (only MNL and one overnight to SEL per month).

And 3 min commute to the airport.

Command is 2-3 years if you have hours.

Change of head of Flight Ops will hopefully improve the culture too....

MacFly16
16th Apr 2006, 00:17
Hi, All!

I am pretty new in here. I am also interested in a job with Air Macau, but unfortunately not typerated. I have only 4500 hours turboprop, no jet experience. Would anybody tell me, if Air Macau also pays for type rating with a bond in return. Thank You for Your answers!

Arrowhead
16th Apr 2006, 09:29
Not historically, but put a CV into [email protected] anyway

MacFly16
16th Apr 2006, 18:04
Hi, Arrowhead!

Do You work for Air Macau? Do You have any idea, whether it makes sense to buy a rating on his own. I donīt think that this makes sense, if You are not able to fly hours on the type afterwards, right?

FAB
16th Apr 2006, 18:20
I bought a rating one year ago...still no job.

I have never been invited for an interview. Still in contact with some CP but they want hours on type at the moment.

Don't waist your money

MacFly16
16th Apr 2006, 20:27
Hi, FAB!!

What kind of experience do You have? I know it is so hard to get a job these days, but I am urgently looking for change and for a new experience. I would like to go to Asia in order to see another environment. I canīt imagine that there are type rated airbus pilots without a job. Did You try Air Asia already?

strfwd
16th Apr 2006, 21:21
I'm still wondering how can someone pay himself a TR ?? I think it's a dangerous shortcut... normaly in a country like Canada, you start as an instructor then move up to a twin inst, heavier twin get the hours and apply for an airline like westjet... it's foolish to have only 300hrs and go for a self TR!!

FAB
16th Apr 2006, 22:46
Well, I have 500 hrs TT with the A320 rating, no hours on type.
Yes I know in Canada the way to a jet is longer (and most pilots in Canada will never fly a jet), but staying in Canada is a waist of time if you want to develop your career (and the salary is very low).
The fact is that I have both Canadian and European passports, and I also have both Canadian and JAR license.
Most of my friends are 25 years old and are flying with Easyjet, Transavia etc.. and they only had 200 hrs total time when they got the job on the 737.

It seems that airlines require more experience for the A320. Even in Asia, my 2 friends also rated on the A320 are in the same situation, they are desperate. One of them has been in Asia for 3 months to talk directly to airlines and not a chance. In Asia they are looking for type rated pilots with HOURS ON TYPE because most airlines are short of Training Captains so they can't train new pilots. At the moment, China and India are closed for expat with TR and no hours on type. Air Asia have cadets waiting, then they hire from MFA, then from PAY TO FLY AGENCIES.
Also in Asia, some airlines sell line training on the A320, it costs twice a US type rating course. And I can tell you that a lot of guys already type rated are waiting on a list, ready to pay-ready to go(so I am).

Yes there are a lot of type rated pilots without a job, even in Asia. Most of them are on a pay to fly waiting list...

MacFly16
17th Apr 2006, 00:08
@FAB

Would You tell me what a FAA licence based typerating A320 costs in the U.S.? In Europe You will pay about 25.000 EUR or more, I think!
Have You ever tried Wizzair in Hungary to get hired?

FAB
17th Apr 2006, 00:20
A320 rating in the US: it costs around 13000$Us and it is valid for life (not as in Europe) depending on your IFR validity.

I was in contact with the CP of Wizzair. Very nice but he prefers guys from Storm Aviation, because they have ''higher standards'' for pilots. Do you know their cadet scheme (A320 rating + hours on type)? see the price..

Also see Jetlink and their price. Aviation is a joke

hixton
17th Apr 2006, 09:25
it is crazy out there, what airlines in Asia sell line training?
I heard of Eaglejet but not actual airlines!

strfwd
17th Apr 2006, 09:36
FAB
I understand that one can have a real passion for this job, but where in the hell can they get all this money!! you have pay for your licence+a type rating+a line training!!!! how much does it cost in the end!! it could be close to 140,000$ ! :{ is it really worth it ? how many pilot can pay for that?

MacFly16
17th Apr 2006, 15:35
@FAB

Storm Aviationīs offer is just unaffordable. Well, 13 000 US$ are acceptable in knowing how expensive it is in Europe. Did You ever try Fly Niki or Middle East Airlines! I kkow itīs not everybodyīs big wish to go there especially with family, but I wouldnīt mind. If I got the chance I would do it, because I lreally need a change. May I ask You how old You are?

FAB
17th Apr 2006, 15:58
I tried MEA, a friend of mine is on their A320. THEY ONLY HIRE LIBANESE PILOTS (if you have no hours on type).

The problem is always the same: without hours on type, it's almost impossible to get an interview.

(I am 25)

MacFly16
17th Apr 2006, 19:43
@FAB

Maybe You should try FlyNiki or what about AirBerlin? They will get about another 6 Busses this year. I have also applied for, there. Itīs really incomprehensible to me that even rated Airbus pilots are not considered to get hired. Did You ever try Vueling. It is a Spanish Company, You might be able to build up some hours, there. I know itīs so hard to get a job. I have turboprop hours and I donīt get even an interview at any company. though I will never give up and keep trying.

MacFly16
17th Apr 2006, 19:47
@FAB

There is another one in Germany called Blue Wings. They also operate Airbus 320, but I donīt know very much about that company. I just know that they hire only rated pilots. Maybe itīs worth a try. You canīt lose anything!! http://www.bluewings.com (http://www.bluewings.com/index000_e.html)

Badapple
21st Apr 2006, 11:25
Arrowhead,

3% tax in Macau...........not true

3 min commute to airport.........FROM WHERE !!!!!!!. Please let me know so I can move there.

Don't make such ridiculous statements.

Arrowhead
21st Apr 2006, 13:42
Badapple

My blended average tax rate is 3% in my monthly pay packet. And my commute from central Taipa is indeed 3 mins (5 if there is traffic).

The only thing on this post that is ridiculous is you. Please engage your brain before using strong language....

MacFly16
21st Apr 2006, 21:39
Hi, Arrowhead!

Do You think, that it might be useful to be rated on A320 without hours when applying for FO position with Air Macau? I really think over the matter and I really wanna quit my current job. I asked a few posts before, but You didnīt answer yet.
I would really appreciate to get an aswer from You. I have about 4500 hrs turboprop and so I am not sure about getting even an interview with them without any jet hours. Well, itīs just the same as it is everywhere, I guess !! Thank You very much!

Arrowhead
22nd Apr 2006, 02:53
There's a change of senior personnel here so who knows. But without time on type, I cannot say. Best thing to do is to call Chief Pilot Capt Du +853 3966560. They may take you A320 rated with only turboprop time, then again they may not. Good luck.

MacFly16
22nd Apr 2006, 14:12
Hi, Arrowhead!

Thanks to You for Your information. I agree with You! Sometimes they do and sometimes they just donīt. Well, You have too be lucky, I guess.

kitadjani
22nd Apr 2006, 16:18
There's a change of senior personnel here so who knows. But without time on type, I cannot say. Best thing to do is to call Chief Pilot Capt Du +853 3966560. They may take you A320 rated with only turboprop time, then again they may not. Good luck.
Please don't start to invite pilots without experience on type! Pay attention that we are in China and approaching Typhoon seasson!
So, now to apply for Air Macau is necessary to have at least 3000h total, with jet experience and ALREADY Type rate on A320. For more or less 2 years that the "slots" for type-rate pilots in Airbus/Beijing finished.
You should have at least the base flight in A320, before applying.
You should pay your tkt to come to Macau, perform an interview with CP, 1 test on A320 System, 1 test regarding the PFD, 1 test of General knowledge in aviation, Simulator Screening. If you pass, later you should perform an exam of Air Law (in Civil Aviation of Maccau), medical exams (part one and two). But before all this contact Capt. DU (+853 3966510). Good luck