PDA

View Full Version : FMT600 & Civvy points

dantura
31st Mar 2006, 08:52
My old FMT600 was a bit tatty, so I got a new 1 the other day as I was there anyway, renewing my airfield permit.
I was told that it is now only valid for 12months as everyone now has to bring in the civvy 'paper part' of their licence to prove they do not have more than 6 points.
Apparently, the transport manager will decide if one is allowed to drive on Aunty Bettys Airbase (the secret AT 1 near Carterton) if more than 6 points are awarded.
Anyone know why this is so if the law allows us to drive on public highways with upto 12 points? Surely all MT needs to know is if we are disqualified or not?

Is it empire building by MT? Is it a Napolean complex by the transport manager? Or is it written policy? If so what is the reasoning?:suspect:

D

No I do not have more than 6 points.

propulike
31st Mar 2006, 09:24
Same rule at the secret Wiltshire airbase. I was told it was because the standard insurance policy held by MT only covered people who had 6points or less. Any more and there would be an excess to pay - so they had to check and get approval if required.

This was only for driving service wagons. I can't see why it would affect your airfield permit if you were driving your own car to work.

dantura
31st Mar 2006, 09:36
I see...
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't talking about civvy veh's, just mil.

This does bring an interesting dilemma for HMF me thinks. With the ever increasing points build up on most peoples licences, perhaps there needs to be a review of the insurance policy?

D

Mr C Hinecap
31st Mar 2006, 12:40
propulike - sounds a bit fishy, that one. MoD is self-insuring on motor vehicles.
What I will say, from my time in that world, is that there is no god-given right for you to be able to drive Service MT. The fleet manager has to be responsible for his fleet and, therefore, the people who operate it. The line we took was we'd look at those with 6 with a slightly critical eye - if they had 9, weigh up the individual case as to the risk they posed in operating MT. eg 9 points in last 3 months probably not the best chap to give an MT vehicle to.

Green Flash
31st Mar 2006, 12:48
Mr C

I thought the RAF white fleet was owned by Lex? Therefore, they probably have comercial considerations vis a vis the insurance. Bowsers/tugs/landys etc might be self insured.:confused:

Mr C Hinecap
31st Mar 2006, 13:08
Owned by LEX, leased by the RAF.

MoD official rates for renting hire cars are also cheaper because we don't get charged the insurance as MoD covers insurance. The vehicle becomes an MoD vehicle for the duration of the contract, hence the need for running paperwork if long term.

Dan Winterland
31st Mar 2006, 13:31
Lots of dubious points regarding civilian hire cars being considered military vehicles. One was the use of hire cars on an overseas det. Diesel cars were rented, we were told they had to be filled up at the MT yards pumps. So we were filling up a Dutch and German civilian registered cars with red diesel. i asked the question and was told this was legal, but what about the poor guy who was running the risk being caught renting the car immediately after us with untaxed fusl in his car?

propulike
1st Apr 2006, 08:44
Mr C

I'm not an expert on insurance regs for the RAF - and I must confess I'm not really that bothered about finding out either! I just listened half-heartedly to the explanation being offered (by an RAF bloke!) and handed over my license for him to try and read. Didn't have any reason to disbelieve him though.

I may have more of a 'fact finding discussion' ;) next year. It's never nice to be BS'd!

Mr C Hinecap
1st Apr 2006, 16:30
I just don't like BS in areas I work in. I always dealt a straight hand when OC MT so it grips me when others have some sort of urban myth. If people were surly to my staff, they got the special car (diesel Corsa with no power steering) - if they were nice, they got what we could give them.
Damn F3 display crew didn't even deserve a kick up the bum with an open-toed sandal tho :mad:

BEagle
1st Apr 2006, 20:15
"With the ever increasing points build up on most peoples licences...."

Really?

FJJP
2nd Apr 2006, 08:43
Beags, I suspect that if we go there, the thread will degenerate into several hundred posts in an anti-camera rant...

But it is nice to have a clean 40-year licence [undetected crime!].

dantura
2nd Apr 2006, 10:30
Beags,

Of course I cannot quantify an extensive study into how many points people have on their licences, but I in my limited 20 years of driving and 18 in the mob I remember when it was virtually unheard of for anyone to have points. As part of my job, I have to check guys licences to put them on driving courses and have noticed how many now have at least 3 points....just a personal observation..

This does make me wander how many people are driving with more than 6 points and are (as said before) uninsured, because their f600 is still in date and they haven't informed their MTO?? I don't recall the 6 point rule in mt orders, but I may well be proven to the contrary, in which case I will give myself a good talking to.:O

D

AdanaKebab
2nd Apr 2006, 12:40
The 6 point rule rings a bell with me ... can't say I've actually seen it in MT orders though.
BEagle, Points are everywhere these days. Even my parents, who were point free for years, have now got them. And where does the fine money go? To line the pockets of our police forces so they can install yet more :mad: cameras.
You are either very lucky or rarely drive.
Rant over

PPRuNeUser0211
2nd Apr 2006, 13:07
I count myself pretty damn lucky to have a clean licence, frankly. I drive in excess of 30k miles per year (45K this year...) and the number of times I've nearly been done by speed cameras... or been done and there been no film in it... classic example is the contraflow near bristol.... for some reason a 40 limit as opposed most of the rest of the roadworks in the country which are 50... cognitive failure at 6am leads to doing 50>55 thru the camera.... flash... doh! but no film apparently.

I think my saving grace must be that all my mileage is on motorways (and not the m4 either!) so it's pretty hard to get caught (I'm not a saint believe me!) but my mum (upstanding citizen) has 3 points for a 33 in a 30 limit.... pretty lame!

RubiC Cube
2nd Apr 2006, 15:19
So, if they won't give you a FMT 600 and airfield driving permit, will you be able to do QRA/SAR etc?? Tried to ban me at ISK in the 70s for not having said documents in date because they only opened for 2 hours per week, Boss said he wouldn't be able to fulfill SAR capability. MT/ATC admin soon opened up for longer periods!!