PDA

View Full Version : Beaufighter Mk II prop?

brickhistory
31st Mar 2006, 07:20
Did the Beau Mk II ever have wooden props?

I interviewed a former RCAF pilot who related an amazing story of a mid-air while undergoing Beau OCU at RAF Charterhall. In his story, he mentioned that the other aircraft, while switching from fighter to target, dove underneath his (the RCAF pilot's) aircraft and pulled up too short under RCAF's nose. RCAF's starboard prop chopped off the tailplane of the other Beau.

The other Beau crashed, RCAF brought his badly bent up a/c home, shards of the shattered prop impaled into the cockpit.

I've never seen anything about wooden Beau props? Has anyone? If so, would you provide a point out to the reference so I can do the research?

Thanks in advance!

stevef
2nd Apr 2006, 08:25
It's true! The Beaufighter MK II was fitted with Merlin XX engines which utilised wooden propeller blades manufactured by Jablo. Cheaper than aluminium alloy and minimised engine damage (shock loading) in the event of sudden stoppage, such as a wheels-up landing.

brickhistory
3rd Apr 2006, 09:47
stevef,

Much obliged. I knew the Mk II had Merlins, but had no clue on the prop manufacturer.

Will start digging on Jablo.

Cheers,
Brick

Kolibear
3rd Apr 2006, 14:00
I would have thought the the cost of selecting the timber (moisture content, straightness of grain, annular rings/inch etc), machining the baulks flat, gluing them together under pressure, machining the profile & section, surface fininishing, waterproof covering and fitting a hub would have been greater than pouring molten aluminiun into a cast and machining the hub fitting?

JW411
3rd Apr 2006, 16:10
First find your aluminium! Perhaps it was a case of priorities? Aluminium was probably scarce whilst the country was covered in trees.