View Full Version : A109E crash in Norway

M609
30th Mar 2006, 15:21
A109E from Luftrransport AS crashed on the island of Austre Bokn on a flight from Sola/ENZV to Kårstø oil terminal.
http://www.nrk.no/img/583283.jpeg
All 4 on board survived, 3 minor and 1 seriously wounded. One occupant was trapped in the wreck for 3 hrs. The weather was poor with bad visibility in the area.
A/C is LN-OLH
Lufttransport is contracted to fly ship pilots to/from ships.

Article in english (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1263356.ece)

http://web3.aftenbladet.no/multimedia/archive/00115/300306kvhelikopters_115921i.jpg
http://web3.aftenbladet.no/multimedia/archive/00115/300306kvhelikopters_115926i.jpg
http://www.nrk.no/img/583286.jpeg
http://www.nrk.no/img/583292.jpeg

Can any of you rotorheads interpret anything from the pics?

Edited: Correct reg, stupid mistake...... :D

SASless
30th Mar 2006, 15:42
Optimistic rascals...putting the registration number on the belly of the aircraft! Is that so they can ID the correct 109 crash site?

The landing gear was not extended thus maybe an unplanned contact with the ground? Main Rotor blades seem devoid of lots airfoil surface thus must have been spinning at time of contact with something. Tail rotor, gearbox, and fin are gone...either chopped off (most probably) or departed prior to crash (maybe). Nose cone intact thus not much impact with forward speed. Minor amount of leafy matter/grass pulled up by the gear well...again not much forward speed. What scrape marks can be seen on the belly appear to be more or less fore and aft thus aircraft was moving forward at contact.

The cop on the right hand lower corner of the last photo seems to be writing a "Littering" ticket.

Collective Bias
30th Mar 2006, 15:44
A beautyful fjord in the background:cool:

frodo1
30th Mar 2006, 16:02
A/C is LN-LOS
You stand to be corrected, LOS is not the tail number, LOS is the Norwegian word for sea pilot.
The tail number should be LN OLH
A better foto
http://www.lufttransport.com/Lufttransport.nsf/ee677c2cb2563ceac12569d10044ce41/89568724f1227fc1c1256db30045353a/innhold/0.AE?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif
I am glad everybody survived!

SASless
30th Mar 2006, 16:11
Not to be argumentative here...I see the two huge "LOS's" and a smaller "LN-I...something" that must surely be the registration number.

B Sousa
30th Mar 2006, 16:11
Looks rebuidable. As Sasless says not much forward speed, Maybe hovering low with a blade strike?? Must have happened pretty quick as although all blades are destroyed, one spar is still pretty straight.
Injury probably to crew in the back . Seatbelts loose etc??
So now after all the Speculation .Wha hoppen?? Do we know the drivers??

frodo1
30th Mar 2006, 16:24
All norwegian aircraft start with the tailnumber LN-
All helicopters have LN-O
Lufttaransport operates the following Agusta 109E Power LN-OLA, LN-OLH and LN-OLI.
Source http://www.lufttransport.com
If you check the photo on this link you can see that the last two letters are LH. That gives you the tailnumber LNOLH.
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/innenriks/article597544.ece

skadi
30th Mar 2006, 17:17
Optimistic rascals...putting the registration number on the belly of the aircraft! Is that so they can ID the correct 109 crash site?

The landing gear was not extended thus maybe an unplanned contact with the ground? Main Rotor blades seem devoid of lots airfoil surface thus must have been spinning at time of contact with something. Tail rotor, gearbox, and fin are gone...either chopped off (most probably) or departed prior to crash (maybe). Nose cone intact thus not much impact with forward speed. Minor amount of leafy matter/grass pulled up by the gear well...again not much forward speed. What scrape marks can be seen on the belly appear to be more or less fore and aft thus aircraft was moving forward at contact.

The cop on the right hand lower corner of the last photo seems to be writing a "Littering" ticket.

As You can see on the Third Photo, Fin, Stabilizer and T/R Hub are still in place, the T/R-Blades seemed to be gone.

flightmedic1
30th Mar 2006, 17:18
Tail rotor, gearbox, and fin are gone...

Perhaps I'm seeing things, but if you look at picture #3 I'm sure I see the tail rotor still there. Not a very good angle to determine the state of it though.

Spunk
30th Mar 2006, 17:21
That makes three in a row.:ugh:

March 20th 2006: A 109 going down in Kassel/Germany
March 25th 2006: A 109 going down in Mexico City
March 30th 2006: A 109 going down in Norway

I just hope that it doesn't continue.

SASless
30th Mar 2006, 17:37
FM1....I believe you are right....these old eyes are getting tired. Better get out that white cane before I stumble.

mortennb
30th Mar 2006, 22:04
FM1....I believe you are right....these old eyes are getting tired. Better get out that white cane before I stumble.

From what I know, it was pilots flying in bad weather. Lost visual. Landing gear not down warning came on and pilots knew something where wrong, tried to clime, but to late.
Correct me if any other facts come up. This is not for sure, but what I have heard.

B Sousa
30th Mar 2006, 22:50
"From what I know, it was pilots flying in bad weather. Lost visual. Landing gear not down warning came on and pilots knew something where wrong, tried to clime, but to late. "

That being the case they are extremely lucky. Could have had some three digit airspeed going for them and the story would have been much different.
Sounds like a big bit of luck for these folks.

George Semel
30th Mar 2006, 23:33
Since I was not there, nor do I have any first hand knowlege from those pilots involved. I will not make a guesses on this one. Well they all got out of it, thats the main thing. One thing about helicopters is that when you wreck one it gets wrecked. As for this one, it may be cheaper to buy a new one, god knows what is bent and broken that you can't see. It will be interesting to see what the report will say in about a year.

topendtorque
31st Mar 2006, 02:42
5 things

1. T/R blades, there or not it certainly is hard to see any more than at least part of the hub. at anyrate all t/r ground strike marks are usually relatively very hard to see.

2. The clods have erected their vis barrier on the horizon and are busily walking inside their own barrier, perhaps ALL over any available strike mark evidence.

3. M/R spar straight, blade shattered and bent upwards - power on strike to unyielding surface when A/C has the sky somewhere topside .

4. rule #1. any heavy power on strike. A/C is R/S.

5. And --- there is no sign of pekka anywhere!

M609
31st Mar 2006, 11:16
2. The clods have erected their vis barrier on the horizon and are busily walking inside their own barrier, perhaps ALL over any available strike mark evidence.

Since the local fire department used heavy duty lifting equipment (bags) in total darkness at the site, I figure a couple of coppers vandering about is the least of the problems......

lup
31st Mar 2006, 12:03
If the weather was bad,could be a case fo pressonitis.
Airspeed back to nothing, hugging the ground,trying to get over that hill.
lost visual reference,low and slow,intruments no use, tail rotor or main rotor hit the hard stuff, game over!
Pure speculation on my part, but that's all we can come up with from some photos.
Could be the case, amongst others, previously mentioned.

What looks like a tail rotor on second pick, look down hill in line with the open door.

M609
1st Apr 2006, 14:13
AIBN reports that the crew experienced an abnormal situation in the aircraft (whatever that means....) just prior to hitting the ground.
The media speculate that the crew was attempting to do an emmergency landing when they crashed.

If so, why is the gear still retracted? Not enough time to lower?

http://web3.aftenbladet.no/multimedia/archive/00116/cci-Aft-20060331-1-_116006i.jpg

http://web3.aftenbladet.no/multimedia/archive/00116/cci-Aft-20060401-1-_116067i.jpg

http://web3.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/article272065.ece (Norwegian)

MD900 Explorer
2nd Apr 2006, 09:18
It also speculated in the newspaper report that M609 refers to that the vis was bad and the pilot was hugging the terrain and was trying to nav that way and then came into contact with the terrain below.

The newspaper report is particulary vague, but thats nothing new for a Norwegian Newspaper.

Wasn't Pekka last seen trying out the front right seat of the Police ASU 135 in Gardemoen in the round the world thread? hmmmm

Glad the guys walked away from it.

MD :ok:

B Sousa
3rd Apr 2006, 04:46
Come on now, We all know you went down there to join the Riots..........

B Sousa
3rd Apr 2006, 15:15
"By the way, I was at the riots to haw a look… Peoples were Crazy!!! "

Pekka, A lot of people did. Sometimes folks who visit those things accidently get some stick time...........along side the head.. be careful.

MD900 Explorer
3rd Apr 2006, 19:00
B Sousa
Yeah, but he probably would try and log that stick time... :E

Pekka
Tok du brev kurs i engelsk...Håper du flyr bedre enn du kan stave engelsk..fri og bevare meg.:{

bondu
3rd Apr 2006, 20:59
Cut the cr@p guys! :mad:

The pilot is a friend of mine and he has serious back injuries. :sad: The others are all OK, injured but not so serious.

No, I don't know what happened! As always, much speculation will appear on this site, most will be totally unfounded. Yes I know this is a RUMOUR network, but lets try to wait for some of the FACTS to come to light.

bondu

B Sousa
3rd Apr 2006, 21:39
"Cut the cr@p guys!
The pilot is a friend of mine and he has serious back injuries. The others are all OK, injured but not so serious. "

What brought this up?? Nobody has criticized anyone for their actions. Some have asked questions with no answers, since you know so much, fill us in.......

MD900 Explorer
3rd Apr 2006, 23:53
Bondu

Standby old chap, nobody was having a go at anyone except Pekka, and that was just taking the piss out of his Riot experience. Nobody has has pointed fingers or made accusations, just reporting on what has been reported. :sad:

B Sousa
Spot on..when someone has some credit worthy info, it would be good to get it on the forum and let us know.

Pekka
Ka faen har DU med saken å Gjør??? Skjærp deg, Bare mobba deg, men ser ut som du hadde en pepsi for mye ikveld...som vanlig for en Nordlending:E Jævla Cowboy!! :ok:

(Since Mods can't moderate in a language that they don't understand...ask Flaps Forty, and we will start speaking in English again if this old diabetic can stand the pace... (Not you Heliport) Dust!!

GenuineHoverBug
30th May 2006, 11:02
It is reported on the local news today that the Norwegian Accident Investigation Board so far has no indication that there were any technical problems on the helicopter that may be related to the accident. There are no speculations as to what else might have contributed to the accident, and there will be several months before the final NAIB report is out.

The 4 on board, 3 crew and one sea-pilot, are all said to be recovering from their injuries. The seriously injured Commander (54), with back fractures, is back home in Spain, able to walk and he is expected to recover fully. The winch operator (51) broke both his ankles, but will be back at work soon. The sea-pilot (48) who was pinned under the wreckage for almost three hours with a broken arm is also doing fine. The co-pilot (28) was uninjured except for bruises, and was released from hospital the day after the accident.

B Sousa
30th May 2006, 14:35
"the Norwegian Accident Investigation Board so far has no indication that there were any technical problems on the helicopter that may be related to the accident. "

Based on the pictures and what little else was posted that seems to be a
no-brainer. Also with the injuries as listed above it appears the aircraft is a pretty sturdy machine.
Heres hoping all a complete recovery. Good crews are hard to replace, you can always buy a new aircraft.