PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: MAS's CADET program is put on hold...how true is this>?

fhchiang
30th Mar 2006, 15:15
i read somewhere, it seems that many people are saying that MAS has put their cadet pilot program on hold.

how true is this?

anyone can confirm?

CAT IIIB
30th Mar 2006, 16:06
Not true lah!If it's true then how come they advertised for cadet pilot intake,closing date 31st March meh??

babyboeing400
31st Mar 2006, 10:22
:cool: don't worry man..just try your best and apply and leave the rest to god..(i hate to say this because i dont believe in a higher being but then some things are really not in your control)

jetrat
1st Apr 2006, 16:01
i think i would not totally disregard this rumour.
personally i would not be surprised if it were.

billkill
1st Apr 2006, 21:38
The rumour seems rather far-fetched. By putting on hold the program, they will lose even more money. Paying people yet producing nothing. They can't just sack everyone can they? If such is done, their management is really.....(i've got nothing to say)...

on_the_right
2nd Apr 2006, 01:53
but even SQ did something like during the SARS period. so is the management really .... ?
cheers mate

jebat
2nd Apr 2006, 04:39
i heard my fren said that they don't know where to put 250 cadets from mfa langkawi and kota bharu after they sell the airplane, maybe 1994 is happening again :)

babyboeing400
2nd Apr 2006, 04:58
jebat,1994?what happened that time? :confused:

7sex7
2nd Apr 2006, 05:32
the hopeful cadets out of flying school...become office boys...clerk...stewards...demotivated,down....and out of flying job!

maybe these guys will be sold to AA in an auction...

anyway boys,just keep your head up....things might differ when your training has finished in a year time...

jebat
2nd Apr 2006, 06:04
1994: like 7sex7 said....

from what i heard, the cadet pilot ad recently are accidental, slips thru... they need the cadet pilot in near future when the narrowbody FO goes to widebody but in the meantime they don't have place for cadets that are coming back from flying school.

7sex7
2nd Apr 2006, 06:17
jebat...

just hope it wont happen again...

jebat
2nd Apr 2006, 06:24
:ok: hopefully

Rule35
2nd Apr 2006, 06:36
billkill,
it is happening again and as for mas management....well dont seem so baffled as it is the norm since day one.......

jebat,
think about it my friend...no more domestic routes(almost none anyway) and a drastic reduction on the international front means the 737 first officers will have nowhere to go....so 1994 IS happaning again...

7sex7
2nd Apr 2006, 06:41
rule 35,

if you have got 4000TT,dont you think this will be a good time to hop into AA and get your cmd on the bus?

Some of the pilots,who started their career later as fo in AA compared to theirs peers in MH,are already a capt in AA while their kawn in MH still an FO with no sight of command...

jebat
2nd Apr 2006, 06:43
thanks for the input Rule35, I know for almost 100% that's it's going to happen but I hope there's 0.01% hope that it would be the other way around. Still hoping :ok:

flightleader
2nd Apr 2006, 06:58
94 is happening no matter you like it or not. 300+ cadet in a year is the direct result of poor/no planning by flight ops.

It depends if the management want to retain the top earner,ie: retirees,expats. If they get rid of these people,there will be some vacuum higher up to suck the cadet into the system. However, not all 300 can be accommodated.

They can put some into widebody as cruise pilot and bring tremendous benefit to the WB crew shortage problem and move people across the entire promotion path.However,it is not its norm to do logical things.If this happens,cadet may get to sit(sit only,not fly,ok,ok fly the sim once every 90 days)the WB sooner than you thought.If they extend the retirees to 65, cadet can be a petrol pump boy for a long time.:{ :{ :{

satumare
2nd Apr 2006, 07:19
And the ThreadStarter will never get his chance to fail his pshycomotor test again.TSk Tsk

jebat
2nd Apr 2006, 07:29
94 is happening no matter you like it or not. 300+ cadet in a year is the direct result of poor/no planning by flight ops.
It depends if the management want to retain the top earner,ie: retirees,expats. If they get rid of these people,there will be some vacuum higher up to suck the cadet into the system. However, not all 300 can be accommodated.
They can put some into widebody as cruise pilot and bring tremendous benefit to the WB crew shortage problem and move people across the entire promotion path.However,it is not its norm to do logical things.If this happens,cadet may get to sit(sit only,not fly,ok,ok fly the sim once every 90 days)the WB sooner than you thought.If they extend the retirees to 65, cadet can be a petrol pump boy for a long time.:{ :{ :{

I heard about the cruise pilot thing but the problem is the idea might get an objection from senior pilots. To tackle this they would only give narrowbody salary for the cruise pilots and the promotion path are going to be different for them as they lack in experience for pre-flight, taxi, take off, after takeoff and descent/approach and landing etc....

It should create place for the cadets but again....

Rule35
3rd Apr 2006, 02:21
7sex,

Thats what i meant in my thread...i think that would be the best option right now if you got 4000 or 7000tt.......especially if your commitments do not allow you to or do not wish to leave the country.

satumare,

:}

fhchiang
3rd Apr 2006, 05:58
just checked MAS's website...

the Vacancy for Cadet Pilot has been taken off...

GTR-34
3rd Apr 2006, 08:24
Those cadets that don't have slots to fly when they are back can always try to join cabin crew temporary like in the 90s..lotsa phone nos and dates;) looks like MAS planners never fail to screw up cadets all the time..cheer up..

fhchiang
3rd Apr 2006, 11:56
hmm.. well... back in 94, how long did those CADETS served as CAbin crew before becoming FO?

jebat
3rd Apr 2006, 12:57
i heard there's a guy ends up being a cabin crew until now. A fren just confirms it, she knows that guy..

jebat
3rd Apr 2006, 13:33
I found my post earlier confusing, the guy ends up being a cabin crew because after a year plus working as cabin crew and gets quite substantial amount of money, he didn't quite motivated to start all over again, meaning getting cadets pay and study hard all over again to get operational. heard he fails a few attempt and got fed-up.

I never thought it's going to be really hard, is it really that hard...anyone?

babyboeing400
3rd Apr 2006, 15:29
jebat,i think the thing that decides whether you will pass or not is the 'X-factor',the passion for aircrafts and the right 'stuff'. :ok:

GTR-34
3rd Apr 2006, 17:13
I agree! its all in the attitude..its how bad you wants the job:) flying wise even a monkey can fly if trained..I have seen guys who are almost retired fail type conversion coz they think they are gods gift to aviation:p No pain no gain bro!

Chrome
7th Apr 2006, 22:27
A slip-up lead to a front page of an advertising section of the most widely read English newspaper in Malaysia? Sounds like a practical joke to me. And who is going to pay for it? :rolleyes:

In my opinion, like it or not, AirAsia should be an option for senior FOs in MH. Money is less for now but jet hours as command could get them to other places. For those patriotic about MAS being a national airline, AirAsia has been accorded that status as well so why not help raise standards in AirAsia on to be par? I am not saying standards are low but I would love to see AirAsia being one of the best managed LCCs in the world being piloted by the best pilots in the world.

Yea I know that would be hard because most 'best pilots' are in it for the money.

camelbird
8th Apr 2006, 01:58
It doesn't matter where you start, it's where you end up that's important.
For guys who just finish flying school, just grab any job that would give you a head start. Then when you have experience you are marketable.
The airline industry is a cycle, sometime your start is not what you plan but take what is on the table and do your best.
In a few years time things might get better and you would be ready to take advantage of the situation.
MAS or AIRASIA both can be your launching path for the future.
Just remember that as pilots you must have an alternate.:ok:

CAT IIIB
8th Apr 2006, 07:04
billkill,
think about it my friend...no more domestic routes(almost none anyway) and a drastic reduction on the international front means the 737 first officers will have nowhere to go....so 1994 IS happaning again...

Not only that,another big problem is too many expats,outsiders out of nowhere suddenly bypassing the seniors,straight into LHS 737 command.

CAT IIIB
8th Apr 2006, 07:28
In my opinion, like it or not, AirAsia should be an option for senior FOs in MH. Money is less for now but jet hours as command could get them to other places. For those patriotic about MAS being a national airline, AirAsia has been accorded that status as well so why not help raise standards in AirAsia on to be par? I am not saying standards are low but I would love to see AirAsia being one of the best managed LCCs in the world being piloted by the best pilots in the world.
Yea I know that would be hard because most 'best pilots' are in it for the money.

Errrr....you don't wanna do that.Check this out(correct me if I'm wrong)among other things in Air Asia;

1.Starting basic pay for Captain -only RM12K.
2.Productivity pay-RM75 per hour,you'll fly 80-90 hrs a month.Tax free?not sure.
3.Guaranteed hours 40-50 hours monthly?
4.5 days on,2 days off.Max 4 sectors a day,can last up to 8 hrs flying time.
15-25 minutes transit,manual loadsheet.
5.FTL using CAP371 ,dispensation from DCA to fly 1000 hrs.What happens if you are not willing to work extra hours?
6.BYO meal to work.The only free thing is a small bottle of mineral water.
7.No transport provided,neither transport allowance.
8.Medical-RM600 a year.Anything more than that you're on your own.
9.Group insurance for family,you pay.
10.Loss of licence and insurance,Air Asia is the beneficiary,not your family.
11.5 year bond.
12.Travel privilege?7 free tickets a year.That's about it.
13.A lot politics,back-stabbing,management spies among working colleagues.

And all these just to get Command?
Your call!

-Of course there's politics everywhere but at least at the place I am right now,politics is only at the management level.As long as you carry out your duty,nobody bothers about you.

CAT IIIB
8th Apr 2006, 07:32

How about also for a 'peace of mind'?

kimi
16th Apr 2006, 04:48
Originally Posted by flightleader
They can put some into widebody as cruise pilot and bring tremendous benefit to the WB crew shortage problem and move people across the entire promotion path.However,it is not its norm to do logical things.If this happens,cadet may get to sit(sit only,not fly,ok,ok fly the sim once every 90 days)the WB sooner than you thought.If they extend the retirees to 65, cadet can be a petrol pump boy for a long time.

Hi guys!
Im quite new in this forum.Please dont mind.I heard about the cruise pilot.Is it going to be realised or are those cadet pilot will be put into hold.I,m a bit worry since im going to complete my training very soon.::(

Thanks.

flightleader
16th Apr 2006, 07:07
Kimi,

If cadets are going to work on the office,are you going to give up now? If they put you onto the jumbo as cruise s/o,would you be laughing now?

Don't worry about changes too far ahead of you,just complete your training and see from there.

Cheers

FL

MAStake
16th Apr 2006, 08:31
Hey flightleader, how about dim sum next week?
Give me a call when you're in town.

kimi
16th Apr 2006, 12:44
Hi FL,
Thanks for the advice.Well i'll be gratefull if just been thrown straight to WB for a cruise pilot.But if work in the office then too badlah.Anyway it's beyond my control and i'll just pray for the good.Just want to know how does cruise pilot do their job?How r they going to log their hours.Is it P1 u/s or just sit for nothing up there.How long it will take to be s/o or f/o?will it affect my future prospect?Just curios..:)

Tq,

KIMI.

Chrome
19th Apr 2006, 05:04
CAT IIIB,

I did say it should be an option, and when the hours are accumulated, experienced on LHS obtained, one can leave for other places. Those terms aren't that bad I would say.

And for some people, being close to the wife and kids IS piece of mind.

ToPocHi
21st Apr 2006, 12:35
Greetings gentlemen. Well, in regards to MAS cadets being assigned to office work or even cabin work, I guess it comes as of no surprise. With the current restructuring taking place and Idris Jala picking up after the major mismanagement, I suppose this is exactly what we cadets-in-training can expect the moment we graduate. As aforementioned by FlightLeader, just concentrate in completing our training and hope that things will work out for the better. If not, then we'll have to just make do with what we're given and to deliver all within our abilities to help the company develop and progress further. I'd prefer not ranting, and regardless of how inefficient MAS was, I'd say that's all in the past. Pick the pieces up, move forward with our given role and carry our duties out proper and as efficiently as possible. That'll help secure our position as front-line people in the near future. Just my two cents. Regards gentlemen.

Rule35
22nd Apr 2006, 06:26
Topochi,

Thats the spirit!!I think you are on the right path.If there are no flying jobs for you guys in MH when you are back with your licences, dont worry cos there will be many options available.
MH IS inefficient not WAS but i do hope Idris and his team can make a change to this culture.With the inefficient managers STILL in place, i do not see how this could happen in the near future.There is big cleaning up to do and it not even begun.
At the end of it, in the history of MH of the recent years, it has been playing like a broken record....what idris can fix today will be undone in later years.........hope its different this time around

MAStake
23rd Apr 2006, 00:02
Many of us share the same hope. But it's going to be a long uphill battle for Idris with that bunch of incompetents "helping" him. He can make broad policy changes but the changes will be have to filter through his managers who will either do nothing or modify the changes to suit their personal agendas.

It may be a different circus but it's the same bunch of clowns.

levelflight
23rd Apr 2006, 15:29
:confused: A friend of mine who is working for MAS told me this story: A guy applied to MAS recently together with 9 other guys and they were interviewed, checked out on sim, did all the medicals and exams. It seems that all 6 were selected. All these happened in the midst of the retrenchment!

My question is why recruit when MAS is retrenching?

In the midst of all these, 2 of the selected guys are malaysians and apparantly they have already started training on F50s! It seems that these 2 guys' dads are captains in MAS!

The rest of the guys are apparantly expats who are fresh pilots just out of MFA for the twin otters FO position. They were also told that they were selected although not in B&W. However, they are not hired yet. The reason from MAS "we are retrenching..... so we don't know abt your situation"!

My question is.... if they are retrenching, why did they do all the selection processes? Then how come MAS hired the locals if they are retrenching?

Another joke is, some of these foreigners were called when they were in their home countries. They had to buy their flight tickets and pay for hotel stay, food, etc here! It has been about 2 and a half months already and they have not got a reply! Poor these fellows....!:ooh:

EY777
23rd Apr 2006, 16:38

That quote should answer your question levelflight :rolleyes:

Latif_Strikes_Back
23rd Apr 2006, 17:10
Cadet intake put on hold for both MAS and Air Asia until mid next year. MFA busting at present and it will take at least 12 months to clear the current students.

Avaition in Malaysia is finally coming to a close...back to the early 1990's with more pilots then jobs...

zob
24th Apr 2006, 10:35
He's back!!!!!! :}

power ke?
25th Apr 2006, 15:50
1994? I was there. 2 solid years in the office. RM800 a month (RM700+ after deduction..Socso, Kelab Sukan, Koperasi etc etc). No overtime. No transport or transport allowance. Good luck boys.

GTR-34
26th Apr 2006, 09:23
remember at 1 time it was only rm500..after deductions about rm400. minus housing (by the way only rooms)rm 150-200. transport fees (public bus) rm50-70. food (whatever left) left with negative :{ :{

allwerp
26th Apr 2006, 10:59
power ke..so are you working a pilot now after the 2 solid years?:ouch:

power ke?
27th Apr 2006, 14:38
Yes allwerp, but flying with a middle eastern airline now. All I'm saying is that 1994 didn't do my morale any favours. Good luck sir.

Latif_Strikes_Back
27th Apr 2006, 19:40
Love that Malaysian solid planning... Company going under?

Hey lets start some more cadets! We can train them up then use them as slaves for a few years. If they leave, hell they broke there bond! :ok:

levelflight
29th Apr 2006, 06:00
:confused: A friend of mine who is working for MAS told me this story: A guy applied to MAS recently together with 9 other guys and they were interviewed, checked out on sim, did all the medicals and exams. It seems that all 6 were selected. All these happened in the midst of the retrenchment!

My question is why recruit when MAS is retrenching?

In the midst of all these, 2 of the selected guys are malaysians and apparantly they have already started training on F50s! It seems that these 2 guys' dads are captains in MAS!

The rest of the guys are apparantly expats who are fresh pilots just out of MFA for the twin otters FO position. They were also told that they were selected although not in B&W. However, they are not hired yet. The reason from MAS "we are retrenching..... so we don't know abt your situation"!

My question is.... if they are retrenching, why did they do all the selection processes? Then how come MAS hired the locals if they are retrenching?

Another joke is, some of these foreigners were called when they were in their home countries. They had to buy their flight tickets and pay for hotel stay, food, etc here! It has been about 2 and a half months already and they have not got a reply! Poor these fellows....!:ooh:

:\ :\ :eek: :confused: :confused:

News just in!!!! Thoses expat interviewed and selected for FO position for Twin otter/F50, ALL OF THEM WERE KICKED OUT! They awere all apparantly been selected as they were informed over the phone.......Poor fellows..... spent so much of money for their flight tickets, hotel stay. food just to attend these MAS clowns' interview! Wasted 3 months of their precious time!
:mad:
Reason from MAS: Route rationalisation..... retrenching. :ok:

Hot news...... MAS giving up ALL F50s and Twin Otters to some local company........you all know which one! All Sabah and sarawak routes abandoned! :confused:

There's more! 2 other locals who appeared for the same interview got in and currently on training in SIM! Apparantly, these 2 clowns' daddys are MAS captains! :\

All this happening even after Idris Jala took over "mismanagement" from MAS.... to be " mismanaged " again! Wow well done Idris!:ok: :\ :mad:

I wish my dad was a captain here.... then i can also get hired amidst the retrenchment process and route rationalisation!!!!!:D
L

one hell of a joke!

MAStake
29th Apr 2006, 08:14

Uphill battle all the way for Idris.

Nepotism, irresponsibility, non-accountability, blatant disregard for the future of MAS ...... all these have to be tackled before we can see any return to profitability.

Looks like it's every man for himself.