PDA

View Full Version : Working Wireless Internet Connection - But No Internet?

MMEMatty
30th Mar 2006, 12:38
Hi All

I am running (well was - ive returned home for the easter break now) a laptop at uni, and just this year got broadband installed into the student digs, with a Belkin wireless router and wireless card on my laptop. Now, it all worked well up untill about two weeks ago when i installed McAfee Anti virus, which cause the laptop to not start up properly (basically once logged on, there was no icons, start menu bar etc).

Eventually managed to get the computer to run by removing McAfee, except now the computer couldnt connect to the internet, and i couldnt use the Belkin client utility to connect, as the troubleshoot guides informed me to.

eventually got that problem sorted. Now i'm able to start my computer normally, and whenh the wireless card is inserted i get a "connection established" message, and can clearly see (using Belkin Client Utility and the default Windows "wireless Connections" page on the Control Panel) that the wireless card is working, and is connected to the router downstairs, however when i go to run any web programs (Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger, etc) i get a "Cannot connect to Internet check your internet connection type message". This has got me stumped, ive tried all the troubleshooting i can find on windows, looked on line, i believe that this is the last hope, other than maybe putting it in for repair (an option that i really dont want to do, as its all £££).

Any Help?

Matt

Jinkster
30th Mar 2006, 14:35
my laptop has a built in WLAN and we have a Netgear wireless router and it sometimes plays up. Try unplugging the power from the router for a couple of minutes - reconnect the power and wait for your internet connection to fire up on the router then try again.

Does it to me sometimes - christ knows why!!!

Cheers, Jinkster :ok:

DBTL
30th Mar 2006, 17:49
Try reinstalling TCP/IP:
Control Panel - Network (choose your connection) - Properties - Install - Protocol - Add - Disk - Browse (get to \windows\inf) - Choose "TCP/IP" --> OK to all. (Details may actually be slightly differently worded, I'm using a non-English XP right now) You can't uninstall TCP/IP in XP, reinstalling is the best you can do.

Lost_luggage34
30th Mar 2006, 18:42
Are you using any security on the link WEP or WPA ?

Do you have any connectivity to the Internet - I.e. try a ping to www.bbc.co.uk from a command prompt.

You could try resetting the TCP/IP stack before reinstalling ;

1. Go to Start Menu -> RUN
2. Type "command" click OK
3. In the new window that pops up type this "NETSH INTERFACE IP RESET LOG.TXT" (less quotes), then press enter.
4. Reboot, if you like.
More detailed information can be found in this MSKB article:

How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP (Q299357)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

Just some random thoughts.

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2006, 21:58
I'm assuming you have Win 2K or XP -

If you have Windows NT, 2000 or XP you should always use CMD.EXE rather than COMMAND.COM - unless you have to run a legacy 16-bit DOS program that won't execute correctly in CMD.EXE.

For one thing it has support for LONG FILE NAMES!

It also has support for far longer command strings and environment variables than COMMAND.COM.

Anyhow, back to the question - using a CMD prompt, type IPCONFIG / all to see what the IP settings actually are.

Report back, including O/S info.

MMEMatty
31st Mar 2006, 10:09
Hi Guys

Like i said im away from the router at the mo, but will be back to it next week probably. Will report back then.

Cheers for the replies so far, gives me something to go on

Matt

Lost_luggage34
31st Mar 2006, 12:09
If you have Windows NT, 2000 or XP you should always use CMD.EXE rather than COMMAND.COM - unless you have to run a legacy 16-bit DOS program that won't execute correctly in CMD.EXE.

Very good point Saab.

DBTL
31st Mar 2006, 20:15
Forgot to mention that reinstalling TCP/IP will probably harm the access point connection security scheme at the client computer, so you'll need to press the APs "reset" switch for a good 10 seconds, and you should then have been reverted to the unsecured mode of the AP for the testing.