PDA

View Full Version : Drive Assignments

Gouabafla
30th Mar 2006, 08:54
I've just rebuilt one of my servers at home/office. New MoBo and a fast SATA drive to replace the two old slow IDE drives. The machine now runs like lightening, which is rather nice. However, I've got a problem. I partitioned the SATA drive in two and copied the partitions from the two older drives, the idea being that the two new partitions would be C: and D: as of old - effectively mimicking the old set up. However, I'm now in the situation where the boot partition is C: - which is fine, but my CD, DVD and Floppy drives now come in as D: E: and F: while the second partition on the Sata drive which I want to be D: is actually G:. You can imagine the problems that this is causing - it's a real bummer.

Is there a hardware type out there who can tell me how to move this stuff around?

Thanks

Conan the Librarian
30th Mar 2006, 09:31
With XP, go to the control panel - admin tools - computer management - disk management and you can fiddle it from there.

Just be aware that any programs that you have installed since the rebuild may have paths to the new and "incorrect" drive letter, but otherwise a nice easy and painless exercise.

Conan

Oh - Another thought. A good idea to sort it out now, as any removable storage will nick the first letter it can get to, so if for instance you put in a card reader, or sometimes plug in an ext drive, the letters can also get a bit jumbled there as well, so specifying a fixed drive letter now, is a good move. Some people put removable drives at the other end, i.e. X,Y,Z but it isn't necessary, if you assign drive letters using the above procedure (I had the same predicament, but with the card reader in, am now up to X anyway!)

Gouabafla
30th Mar 2006, 09:40
Thanks Conan. When my wife stops using the server for her email (her laptop died this morning) I'll give this a go. I've not installed any software since the upgrade - but obviously I can't run a fair bit of what was there beforehand because of the drive assignments.

Mac the Knife
30th Mar 2006, 09:58
And for those of you still using the Windows 9x series, Vadin Burtyansky's "Letter Assigner" does the trick.

http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/

:ok: