PDA

View Full Version : Airline Rivals Close To Trans-Tasman Deal?

Gravox
30th Mar 2006, 00:19
Saw this on XTRA MSN anyone heard anything similar.
How would this affect the ANZ short haul review?

"There is speculation Air New Zealand is close to securing a code share agreement with Qantas on the trans-Tasman route.

The two airlines' plans to merge was rejected by competition watchdogs in 2003, however with 11 airlines now flying the Tasman route, it appears code sharing is a more viable option.

Forsyth Barr researcher Rob Mercer says both Air New Zealand and Qantas, as well as passengers, would benefit, in terms of pricing and choice of flights.

The code sharing agreement would only need the support of the Transport Minister, which Mr Mercer thinks is likely." -newstalkzb

Bravohotel
30th Mar 2006, 04:48
That would be good for me I tour in and out of PNG every 28 days,and since they dropped QF25 BNE-AKL they ticket me on NZ136 ( I miss my QF credit on the that sector) or send me via SYD(domestic) then SYD-AKL arrival 9:30pm that sucks

international hog driver
30th Mar 2006, 05:25
QF & NZ have played this very well, the blood bath started a while back and has since seen a few of the carriers cut back or pull out (eg: TG).

To the regulators this looks like there is a limited sustainability level and they will approve a tie up which will see less services and combined flights in larger aircraft on a code share basis.

Put this together with the news that Freedom will take all the rest of NZ’s A320’s and there’s the big picture.

Freedom & Jetstar get to fight over the mums and dads going to regional areas and off peak mainline.

QF & NZ do the mainline stuff that still gets business travellers that will operated during peaks to connect with other flights.

EK & Pblue get to keep them honest in whatever way they can. So in realistic terms the tie up does make sense…….. unless you’re a traveller:mad: :eek: :E

iceblock
30th Mar 2006, 08:33
Put this together with the news that Freedom will take all the rest of NZ’s A320’s and there’s the big picture.

Right... the big picture is that you have lost the big picture. The ballot closes on Saturday and irrespective of the result Freedom cannot take over the A320's. Infact that was never up for vote, only variations on current CEA's.

international hog driver
30th Mar 2006, 10:31
http://airlinersgallery.********.com/2006/03/freedom-air-to-take-over-all-remaining.html

By all means vote as much as you want but this is what we are being told here in Germany and the above to us just seems more of a confirmation.:rolleyes:

I'm quiet sure that your vote will be as recognised as many before it, remind me what happened to PB?

Times are changing and since the day Mr Wilson and the B727 got the ball rolling Freedom was the trojan in NZ that Jetstar is in Oz.

Like i said..... not what we are being told here in Germany.:E

Convict
31st Mar 2006, 09:21
Not quite the same as Jetstar if the vote goes through Air NZ Pilots will have the right to operate all Air NZ Jet aircraft unlike the Qantas boys who were shafted a while ago.

iceblock
2nd Apr 2006, 10:38
Well since you have all the facts in Germany I propose pprune shift their headquarters there and we change the name to ppfact!!

How can I compete with such a convincing arguement. You have heard it in Germany - well my God it is clearly true. Psst. Don't mention the WAR!!!

By the way thanks for giving the Air NZ pilot body the permission to "vote as much as we want". Someone was just commenting the other day about it. No one can understand why if we won the war (since we are apparently part of the Great Empire and fought for them) how come we have to wait for someone from Germany to give the go ahead on the vote?

Hang on I have it... By God yes how obvious!! It's the Hat's Great Scott it's the hats. I thought they had a Nazi Germany look but didn't realise they had infiltrated so deep!!!

And on a serious note - that article is so far wide of the mark Hitler would be proud. If the vote goes through Freedom numbers will be capped. Quite the opposite to the propoganda from Germany.

international hog driver
2nd Apr 2006, 20:23
Sorry to disappoint you icecube but I’m not German or even european for that fact I only work for them! Just by the tone of your post I truly understand why the rest of the world view NZ and Oz (except if its snowing or burning down) as insignificant.:hmm:

iceblock
2nd Apr 2006, 21:45
I.H.D.

Well first of all mate no one said we were not insignificant. I don't for a minute think either country has a heavy influence on world affairs. Since you are well abreast of world opinion on our insignificant countries perhaps you could advise us on how to be more significant like yourself. Obviously we have the snowing and burning bit sorted out, it is just the rest of it we are not very good at.

You really must lighten up, that German sense of humour has clearly rubbed off on you.

You make a claim in a post about Freedom taking over all the A320's and back it up with an article that doesn't even seem to be attributed to any valid source. This is all conveniently backed up by the fact you heard it in Germany as if that fact alone will then convince us it's more fact than rumour.

Joking aside (and most of my previous post was) the fact is that the information in the link was well wide of the mark.

Not disappointed at all that you are not German or European, I am relieved for all German's and Europeans.

RevMan2
3rd Apr 2006, 07:39
The proposed codeshare must impact Air NZ's role in Star - fly to SYD on UA, SQ or TG and then fly to AKL on .....OneWorld? Star?

NZ's getting out is going to involve the NZ Govt in swallowing a BIG poison pill....

Elroy Jettson
4th Apr 2006, 05:19
I much prefered it when Geoff said, "If we cant merge, we'll crush em!" :E

The big question in every codeshare, who does the flying? Red? blue? Both?:confused:

international hog driver
26th Jun 2006, 08:59
From today 26 June, Freedom Air Limited has been re-named to ZEAL 320 Limited.

The change to ZEAL 320 Limited is a re-naming of the legal entity only, and reflects that the operation of all A320 Aircraft for Freedom Air and Air New Zealand flights will be conducted under the one Operating Certificate.

No open link yet, just a document we got in the office this morning.

So how'd your vote go??:ugh:

:{ :{ :E

rescue 1
26th Jun 2006, 11:01
I wonder if the "Dreamliner" might end up on there as well?

Dixons Cider
26th Jun 2006, 15:33
NOW this is startin to get interesting!!! ;) ;)

Think you need to chill a tad there iceblock man, taking it rather personally aren't we?

I have no idea what office you are sitting in to get that info IHD, but I'm gonna enjoy sitting back and seeing how this one pans out....

Whaddya going to say to Mr IHD if this ZEAL deal turns into the real thing Icey? :ouch:

international hog driver
26th Jun 2006, 21:11
This is the only "open" source i can give you guys, but believe me its true.

http://www.iponz.govt.nz/pls/web/dbssiten.main

go to "trademarks" (LHS)

type in ZEAL 320 in queries (Submit at the top)

and...... tada

Who is the proprietor:eek: ;)

Watch this space boys and girls because the trojans and players are yet to reveal themselves, Freedom, Jetstar, and PacBlue are the tip of the iceberg :E :E

To answer DCider, my office is located a long way away and although I have absolutely no control over the events in the south pacific. Occasionally I get to look over the bosses shoulder and see a “Gods eye view” of the strategies and tactics being used by the stakeholders. Sometimes he will ask me for my input and when I can I do the right thing I do. On top of that I push a Boeing about the sky when the boss asks.

Don’t ever believe that the buck stops at your airlines head office, and yes lets just see where the dreamliners on both sides of the Tasman end up. We could all be in for a surprise, you heard it here first.:ok: :E :E :}

distracted cockroach
28th Jun 2006, 07:00
So far as pilots are concerned, this is all irrelevent until the next round of contract negotiations.
Yes, all Air NZ and Freedom A320 pilots are now part of ZEAL, but the Air NZ pilot contract has not changed significantly, neither has the Freedom one (the vote mentioned went ahead and the contract variations were approved by both pilot groups) Freedom pilot numbers are capped at their present levels, so there is no threat to Air Nz pilots that they will be replaced.
2008 is when the contracts are due to be re-negotiated, and at that time I would be surprised if there is not one common contract for all A320 pilots in the Air NZ group. The interesting thing will be whether this contract is closer to the current Air NZ one, or the current Freedom one. I suspect it will favour the Air NZ contract, as the Freedom troops are feeling a bit like the poor cousins doing the exact same work for less money and (very slightly) poorer conditions. Not that they are complaining too much - it is no longer the piss-poor contract job it was 3 or 4 years ago.