PDA

View Full Version : Monitor calibration and WYSIWYG

Conan the Librarian
29th Mar 2006, 20:40
The old problem of getting prints that were exactly (or almost) the same as you saw on your monitor, used to entail adjusting the monitor, using a print so that you could get the two working in something approaching harmony. You felt like the guy with two wristwatchs and not knowing the actual time. In short, a bitch of a job for those who needed some sort of fidelity.

For the last few weeks I have been using a hardware colorimeter which is a piece of hardware, that when you calibrate your monitor, sits on the screen, while the software fires known colours into it, which are read - the differences are calculated and the corrections applied to the video card driver. Not cheap, but does it work? The answer, is a resounding "Yes" The maount of money that had been wasted on photo paper and ink, (at 8 cartridges in this printer) seems to be a thing of the past. Now, it is first time, every time.

Also, if I wanted to, I could send files out to a printhouse with every confidence that colour repro will be spot on. If not, it is their end that needs fixing.

I post this, for those who have been wondering about calibration, or are just tearing their hair out. It really does a superb job. Have just done another calibration now and it is quite stunning to look at three matching monitors, if one includes the laptop. Epson share prices may take a dip as a result.

Pity my pictures are crap though... :}

Conan

Mac the Knife
30th Mar 2006, 08:24
Are you using the Pantone ColorPlus Onan? Around $100?

Or are you more upmarket?

Nice gadget, but not worth my while as I rarely print anything these days.

Heyho....:p

Conan the Librarian
30th Mar 2006, 09:27
Hi Mac. Am using Spyder2 Pro, which has Pantone Colorist and a Print profile adjuster called Dr. Pro bundled. Cost was around £180 but the savings in time, paper and ink have already gone a long way towards paying for it.

I ended up buying it after buying another new monitor from Samsung. The monitor is a good one, but the tech support from them is a disaster. They stil cannot understand that you need a neutral, unembellished presentation from the monitor to give an accurate picture, even after six months and God knows how many attempts to find out.

Very impressed. :)

Conan