PDA

View Full Version : Emirates cattle class

TeeBeez
29th Mar 2006, 15:39
If you are flying Riyadh - Dubai - Manchester enquire which equipment is being used for your flight. My experience was nine across on Airbus330 and ten across Boeing777. I thought ten across cattle class was the domain of charter flights. Emirates are not top of my poll.:ugh:

spannersatcx
29th Mar 2006, 16:39
A lot of widebody 'cattle class' is 3-4-3, nothing unusual there, that's the way they are built.

RoyHudd
29th Mar 2006, 17:16
Not a comfortable way to travel long distances...at all...but cheap as chips. Still, after the Riyadh sector, drinks are served even in Y class, which makes things much better.

cossack
29th Mar 2006, 18:49
A lot of widebody 'cattle class' is 3-4-3, nothing unusual there, that's the way they are built.
True if its a 747 but the majority of 777 operators use either 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 for 9 abreast. 10 abtreast in the 777 is frankly dreadful as many of BA's customers opined when they went on the trips to the Caribbean a few years back.

Globaliser
29th Mar 2006, 20:37
The EK 10-abreast 777 (3-4-3) is as dreadful as it sounds. It's only partially made up for by the extra pitch.

However, I deliberately arranged 3 out of 4 sectors of my EK trip to be on 330s. They were conventional 8-abreast (2-4-2), or at least were then (about 3½ years ago). Has this now changed?

Buster the Bear
29th Mar 2006, 20:53
I guess you folk booked these flights as they were cheap and now you are moaning at the lack of room during these sectors?

Pay more and go business class, pay less and moan!

Globaliser
29th Mar 2006, 20:57
I guess you folk booked these flights as they were cheap and now you are moaning at the lack of room during these sectors?In my case, no. I was going to MLE. It was either going on the Monarch charter (always late, and seating even worse than the EK 777), or paying extra to go EK scheduled with a connection at DXB.

I knew what I was letting myself in for on the 777, but I had no choice because of scheduling reasons (I was actually doing MIA-LHR-DXB-MLE). It didn't make it any less dreadful.

Business class is beyond my budget, but even within it there are better and worse ways of travelling.

toolonggone
29th Mar 2006, 21:13
I have had the displeasure of flying Emirates twice (once in Y and once in C) to KUL. Economy seating is a nightmare..too tight even for an average sized person. In business class went to gate at DXB to board flight to KUL and was told C class was overbooked and that I was being downgraded to Y class for the flight to KUL and seated in the middle of a row between two people. Worst flight of my life and ended up sitting on crew seat for alot of the flight. Never again. Now enjoy MH Golden Class all the way to KUL and well worth it!

Skipness One Echo
30th Mar 2006, 11:26
Returning to the above point, are the Gatwick based BA777s 9 abreast down the back ? Anyone ?

Re-Heat
30th Mar 2006, 12:10
Skipness One Echo

Yes they are, however BA has previously operated Flying Colours 777s with a higher density for the holiday market. Customers expecting BA service experienced a service less than that expected, and the Joint Venture was terminated.

skyman771
30th Mar 2006, 12:36
Returning to the above point, are the Gatwick based BA777s 9 abreast down the back ? Anyone ?
All these questions on current airline searing plans are adequately set out on an excellent website :- www.seatguru.com , and as such should assist in reducing some of the more accademic questions raised here.
As for Emirates and their attitude to ecconomy aptly named "cattle class", not surprising as to their disregard to the additional space offered by 3-3-3 in a 777 by other airlines in ecconomy is similar to the disregard that the average arab inhabitants of Dubai have for non arabs and in particular the itinerant mainly Indian workers.

Globaliser
30th Mar 2006, 18:09
I think the aisles are narrower on Emirates, not the seats.But not nine inches narrower. The seats themselves are narrower too.

Captain N
30th Mar 2006, 20:59
I'm a bit confused,havent flown long haul for a long time so cant remember.
just booked flights with Etihad and my seat number is 18k
does this mean there are 11 seats?:ouch:

sorry if i sound stupid but i'm used to the likes of ryanair for a few years now

TSR2
30th Mar 2006, 21:14
Probably 10 abreast with no 'I' seat no.

cossack
30th Mar 2006, 21:24
I haven't flown with them so maybe...
8 abreast on their A330: AB DEFG JK
Or 9 abreast on their 777: ABC DEF HJK
Then again, maybe not.

TSR2
30th Mar 2006, 21:26
According to the Etihad web site, their 'cattle' class on the A330-200 aircraft is 7 abreast and configured AC-DFG-HK with minimum 32" pitch.

TSR2
30th Mar 2006, 21:36
Only a few rows are 7 abreast, most rows including row 18 are 8 abreast in a configuration of AB-DEFG-HK. Sorry for confusion.