PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Boost For Avalon.

planemad2
29th Mar 2006, 05:53
Jobs boost for Avalon

John Masanauskas, aviation reporter
29mar06

Qantas converts jets

AVALON will get an extra 60 jobs when Qantas sets up a new operation to convert passenger jets into freighters.

The move follows a decision last month to shift its Boeing 747 heavy maintenance section from Sydney to Avalon, creating 71 jobs at the site near Geelong.
It will boost the Avalon workforce to about 950.

Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon yesterday said the freighter conversion work would give Avalon good growth prospects.

"The engineering skills and facilities we have available at Qantas Engineering's Avalon base make an onshore option viable for this project," he said.

Mr Dixon said four Boeing 737-300 planes, used by Qantas in New Zealand, will be turned into freighters for Australian air Express.

AaE is owned by Qantas and Australia Post. Work is to start next month and finish by January next year.

It is the first time such work has been undertaken in Australia.

The 60 workers will be employed on six-month contracts through labour hire firm Forstaff.

Qantas has been under pressure from unions after announcing the loss of up to 480 jobs with the closure of the 747 maintenance base in Sydney.

The airline is also reviewing the future of 450 jobs at its 737 maintenance base at Melbourne airport.

Qantas had threatened to send thousands of maintenance jobs overseas to compete with lower costs achieved by some foreign carriers.

While ruling out the move last month, Mr Dixon said it would be considered after two years if cost savings were not met.

chockchucker
29th Mar 2006, 21:22
"The 60 workers will be employed on six-month contracts through labour hire firm Forstaff."

The bright future brought on by messers Howard and Dixon I'm afraid. Good luck trying to get any sort of finance when the only work available is through a six month contract or as a casual.

Gone, will be the days when a person working one full time job could pay off a mortgage and raise a family. Now it's down the American path of working two or three part time jobs just to keep your head above water and the creation of a large working poor.

The end of living and the beginning of survival. Unless you're a politician or a CEO.:(

Lukeatme
29th Mar 2006, 22:03
It's been on/off for awhile now nothing new as the papers say, the first was a shambles when they had to rework the work that was done.

A bit lost on NEW jobs as the Hangar has guy's on the job there now and have been for awhile,hate news media they get up and brag as if they have found new amazing news to save us all!!!!

If there is new blood sure as hell would be pissed off working next to guy's on full time.

the shaman
30th Mar 2006, 10:46
something tells me Avalon will be struggling without the "mothership" of SYD HM to help them out when they are in the poo. That may be part of the masterplan to strike a knockout blow to QF HM in Australia.

I am astounded at the pool of experience that is being shown the door, and I predict history will judge this exercise poorley.

Lukeatme
30th Mar 2006, 17:39
The Shaman

Get off yourself mate, Avalon has been turning out better products than you Sydney siders moan about come on down if you are so good and see if you can hack the pace (they actually work down here) you guy's are amazing with your crap about Sydney this and Sydney that, it is about time you looked at yourselves as others do.

If you woke up you would sell your House at a good price come on down and buy a better house at less cost and travel only low miles without traffic congestion being a problem.

As it has been said hundreds of flights from other countries arrive and depart every day without crashing all over the place and do not need your crap to keep on flying, and no crap about the safest airline compared to other airlines Qantas only fly a small percentage hours relative to them,end of venting.

qf 1
30th Mar 2006, 19:16
good on ya Lukeatme ,that's why it takes you 22 days to complete a C check to Sydney's 12 days,your 5 days to Syd 4 for a Super A ,and your 100 days for a D check to Sydney's 40.
Oh yea and the fact that the flight crew demand a test flight at the end of a major chack at Avalon says it all

Sunfish
30th Mar 2006, 20:36
You mean at Sydeny, the aircraft doesnt get a test flight after a major check? Please Confirm.

the shaman
30th Mar 2006, 20:39
hear hear qf1. and if you think it is whinging lukeatme then have a chat to maintenance watch and ACS and they will leave you in no doubt as to quality of product and turn time.

don't get me wrong good luck to you all - I think you are in for a tough time though and I just hope you are not the next victims.

Turbo 5B
30th Mar 2006, 21:35
Dead right they don't do a flight test after a Sydney D check. The only time they have done a test flight was after the first In Seat Video Mod.
Straight from Heavy Maintenance to SIT and fill it chock full of passengers and send it on its merry way.
I can only remember one A/C with a problem and that was with the Nose gear steering and the "spring that sprung". And that was 15 years ago.
So Lukeatme if you want to have a go at Sydney clean up your own back yard.
You blokes will never match the Quality that came from there.
You guys are just a cheap substitute for Quality and will never be anything else.

Woomera
30th Mar 2006, 22:56
Jobs boost for Avalon.

You lot never miss an opportunity to slag each other:suspect: Much like the SY/ML argument, but I suspect a bit deeper.

It's bad enough with pilots doing it. Go somewhere else if you can't control yourselves!

** CLICK **