PDA

View Full Version : Easterns or Surveillance?

allaboutdash8's
29th Mar 2006, 03:04
Well I have this mate who has found him self in the following predicament. My suggestion was to come on here and get the opinion of ppruners about which avenue to take.

Two options in hand, what to do?

Option 1 - Surveillance Australia - Dash 8 F/O.
Pros
no bond
quick command potential
Cons
Remote locations
3yr bond

Option 2 - QantasLink (EAA)
Pros
No bond period
Live in a capital city
Lifestyle
Cons
Need to pay 10k for endorsement
Higher living costs city
Longer command time

So what’s the consensus, option 1 or 2 and why?

RENURPP
29th Mar 2006, 03:32
Pros
no bond
quick command potential
Cons
Remote locations
3yr bond

sounds like you mayb be confused.
The three yr bond is correct I believe.

As for Life style I am not sure Easterns is better ask around

Doctor Smith
29th Mar 2006, 04:09
Surveillance because Eastern has frozen all upgrades and hiring. Your "mate" might want to ring Todd to find out if the offer of employment still stands:}
The Eastern boys are still waiting for the "big announcement" :} :} :yuk: sorry, furball.
Go Surveillance.
A few Eastern boys are:ok:

allaboutdash8's
29th Mar 2006, 04:30
So whats the big announcement?

AerocatS2A
29th Mar 2006, 08:19
[/COLOR]

Two options in hand, what to do?

Option 1 - Surveillance Australia - Dash 8 F/O.
Pros
no bond
quick command potential
Cons
Remote locations
3yr bond

Option 2 - QantasLink (EAA)
Pros
No bond period
Live in a capital city
Lifestyle
Cons
Need to pay 10k for endorsement
Higher living costs city
Longer command time

So what’s the consensus, option 1 or 2 and why?

Assume the "no bond" for Surv Aust pros was a mistake?

The pros and cons you have aren't necessarily accurate. On the one hand "lifestyle" depends entirely on what lifestyle you want. I've heard of a Surv Aust captain going to Sunstate for lifestyle reasons, and I know of an Easterns captain who went to Surv Aust for lifestyle reasons.

Personally I'd rather be bonded rather than pay upfront for an endorsement, even if it is only $10,000. For one, Surv Aust don't bond you until you are checked to line, so if you fail the sim then you're ok. I don't know what would happen at Easterns if you fail at the last minute, do you still have to pay up? To me, three years return of service seems a fair price to pay for a Dash 8 endorsement. If a really good job comes up in the meantime then you can always pay your money and get out.

Apart from the bond vs pay for the endo, it all comes down to whether he wants to live in a big city or if he's happy in Broome or Darwin for a while.

Does he want a roster with some stability, flights with a lot of short sectors, or an ever changing roster and 7 hour flights over the big blue? Does he like the idea of 200' boat passes for photos? Will he be uncomfortable operating below LSALT at night?

Will he feel satisfied going out flying and maybe not seeing the results of the flight (a lot of it is general surveillance with no obvious "purpose")? He might feel a lot more satisfied getting from A to B and seeing 50 passengers skipping down the airstairs ecstatic that they have got to their destination :).

I'd go for option 1. Because I don't particularly care for living in a capital city, I'd rather a bond than an upfront payment, I like not knowing what's happening with the roster (believe it or not), and I think a quick command is an attractive prospect (however, the upgrades are entirely performance based, there is no seniority system as such, so if his prof checks are average he may find others getting upgraded ahead of him.)

hoss
29th Mar 2006, 08:21
Big announcement................717's or A318's ;)

Hugh Jarse
29th Mar 2006, 08:47
Hoss. You're a bad boy:} You know even the 400's a struggle :suspect:

Stop teasing about jets. People will start talking;)

splatman
29th Mar 2006, 08:52
Hoss
Big announcement................717's or A318's

:} Bwaaahhhaaaaahhhaaaaa

Capt Fathom
29th Mar 2006, 10:54
allaboutdash8's

Better tell your 'mate' there is only one 's' in Eastern.
(Easterns?) :ugh:

Yes I know, mere details!

dodgybrothers
29th Mar 2006, 11:02
o oh, not that eastern or easterns debate again, I don't think I could go through another one!!

Capn Bloggs
29th Mar 2006, 12:11
717's

Keep yer mits off OUR jets!:}