PDA

View Full Version : Ground exams for the instrument rating

jetsun
28th Mar 2006, 19:54
Hi,
I'm considering doing my instrument rating in the not too distant future and was wondering if anyone out there holds the answer to my burning question.
I have all the pre-requisites to begin the IR course
bar one...
My ATPL written exam credits have expired, as it has
been more than 3 years since I sat them.
I don't particularly want to sit my ATPL's all over
again (at least not at this stage). All I want right now
is a CPL/IR.
What exactly are the minimum ground exam requirements
for the granting of an IR for someone in my situation
and how long do you think it takes to study for them.
Thank you!

RVR800
29th Mar 2006, 07:30
Unfortunately you would have to "Re-Pass" either the ATPL or IR exams.

You would however only be required to do training up to the level as decreed by the Head of Training at a Ground School. A massive concession.:confused:

Its amazes me that the "authorities" expire these exams so quicky - they clearly have no faith in the degree to which the knowledge, understanding and application of the taught content is retained.

However the average pass mark has risen relentlessly since the question banks got into the www system - if you know what I mean, and so you should have little difficulty repassing - although handing more cash to the CAA is a tad irksome. :ooh:

The whole thing will be an exercise in futlility but acts as more useful revenue for the CAA

There is no upgrade path from CPL->ATPL or IR->ATPL either

FlyingForFun
29th Mar 2006, 07:43
There are 7 exams for the IR. Details are in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf), section J1.4, or alternatively section E1.3.

There are only a handful of schools which provide the necessary ground-school - currently, AFT, Cranfield and Ground Training Services. See here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF) for details.

It's worth just checking that you understand exactly what you are doing, though. If you pass the IR exams, you will be able to get an IR, but will quite likely not be able to get a job, since having valid passes in the ATPL exams is often a requirement. If you do get a job, you will not be able to upgrade your license to an ATPL in order to fly in the left seat. In order to do this, you would have to pass the ATPL exams again - and that would include re-sitting all 14 exams, including re-doing the 7 which you will already have re-sat for your IR exams (for a third time now). Please only go ahead with this route if you are certain you understand this and you are happy with it!

FFF
----------------

RVR800
29th Mar 2006, 07:49
Yes that is my understanding FFF as well.....

Unusual Attitude
29th Mar 2006, 09:24
FFF and RVR are indeed both correct, I spoke to an aforementioned groundschool about this recently and was told that the required amount of study hours are 10% of the original course, ie 650hr course so 65hrs study. If you can resit all 14 ATPL's and pass them with only 65hours study however your a better man than me !!!

One further point to mention however is that if you do obtain a CPL/IR but have expired ATPL theory, you cannot fly Multi-crew types. Despite what is says in Lasors the ATPL theory must be "valid" to add a Multi crew type to your Licence....I have this in writing from the CAA....

I also have it in writing that there is no intention to provide an upgrade route from either CPL or CPL/IR to ATPL theory so you would indeed need to sit all 14 exams again even if you had a CPL/IR!!!

RVR800
29th Mar 2006, 12:41
UA You mean that the 278 minutes of revision for each of the 14 exams is insufficient? :p

I think we should be all be proud that our regulatory authoriies preside over such robust rules and procedure... now where is that list of questions that I have to "re-pass"

If there are 278 questions in the bank for each I have 1 minute on each....

You have one minute to re-pass the following

The speed limitation for VFR flights inside ATS airspace classified as C, when flying below
3.050 m (10.000 ft) AMSL, is:

A Not applicable
B 240 KT IAS
C 250 KT IAS
D 250 KT TAS

kissmysquirrel
29th Mar 2006, 14:34
GTS are the best for this course. Did mine last year as did a few other people I know and we all passed first time.

jetsun
30th Mar 2006, 19:00
Thanks to all for replying to my question.
Very helpful indeed.