PDA

View Full Version : MICROSOFT HOME-USE PROGRAMME

SirToppamHat
28th Mar 2006, 19:03
I was sent the following text and link at work, but in a moment of muppetry forwarded it to my home account to investigate when I got home:
If you follow the link below you will find an intranet site where you can order MS Office 2003 for just over £17 (There are other programmes available). This utilises the Microsoft Home Use programme. If you have seen this before please ignore.

https://sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk/

If anyone receiving this is at work (Heaven forbid) it may be useful. If not, I will happily delete the thread. Any feedback gratefully received.

STH

SpotterFC
28th Mar 2006, 19:10
There are other programmes available

You sound like the BBC when talking about the Radio Times. I suppose the MoD can't be seen to be endorsing a single office application - oh no - my mistake - DII!!!

ZH875
28th Mar 2006, 19:12
I ordered my copy, and the blurb that came back was that they were extremely busy, so there would be a delay.

One week later, the package dropped through my letterbox.

The program installs easily, but you have to register it with Microsoft, otherwise much of it will stop working after 30 days.

You are allowed under the EULA to have it installed on your Home PC, and also your Laptop, but can only use one at any time. You may have to contact Microsoft after installing on Laptop.PC (whichever was last) because the original serial number may come back as 'This product has been registered enough times' (or similar), MS will ask you to read part of the serial number to them, and then give you a long string of characters to type in to validate the licence.

Contacting MS for the laptop serial number was painless and only took a couple of minutes.

Not bad for £17.31

southside
28th Mar 2006, 19:23
The link doesn't work...or am I doing something wrong?

southside
28th Mar 2006, 19:29
which question....and try not to be so peremptory.

ratty1
28th Mar 2006, 19:29
intranet intranet intranet intranet intranet

Got it now

SpotterFC
28th Mar 2006, 19:30
The link doesn't work...or am I doing something wrong?

ROFLMAO

(how wierd - PPrune won't let you enter a message less than 10 Xters)
(Well that was one way to make it longer than the minimum!)

tablet_eraser
28th Mar 2006, 19:31
STH

Looks good - any chance you could email a copy of the link to me at work?

Cheers,

t_e

southside
28th Mar 2006, 19:33
I am on the Intranet.... Were quite lucky in the RN...they let us have both.

ratty1
28th Mar 2006, 19:34
You are still at work? I thought the Harriers finished today? Oh they didnt tell you................. Never mind.

southside
28th Mar 2006, 19:37
Yep, Im still at work....the SHAR has gone....Yahoooooooooo.... But the Larry continues to fly...and fly....and fly.... and now night flying is later and Im on the second wave....

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/ConMediaFile.18968

ratty1
28th Mar 2006, 19:38
Yep, Im still at work....the SHAR has gone....Yahoooooooooo.... But the Larry continues to fly...and fly....and fly.... and now night flying is later and Im on the second wave....

Who on earth is Larry?

SpotterFC
28th Mar 2006, 19:40
I am on the Intranet

Perish the thought that you would be using IGS for this?

Check your proxy settings in IE to see that r.mil.uk is on the list for "do not use proxy server for...". If that doesn't help call the contradiction in terms that is your local IT helpdesk.

(favourite quote from our place - "I'd like more RAM please" "Oh, have you got a message to say your hard disk quota is full?")

SirToppamHat
28th Mar 2006, 19:46
Tablet_Eraser

No snags, but drop me a line if I forget. Anyone in the windowed CRC should be able to help as I think OC T sent the link to everyone.

More info can be found here (on the INTERNET!):

https://oms.one.microsoft.com/tc/cr_information/hupcommonquestions.htm

I guess the other link will verify that you are a member of HM Forces?

STH

southside
28th Mar 2006, 19:48
Thanks spotterfc....

MostlyHarmless
28th Mar 2006, 20:29
Read the small print? You have to uninstall it when you leave HM's services....:hmm:

southside
28th Mar 2006, 20:32
Thats ok....Bill Gates will have retired to a health farm and Microsoft will have gone bust by the time I leave.

Or maybe not.....?

Safety_Helmut
28th Mar 2006, 21:11
Surely the ATC don't qualify for this too ?

S_H

John Eacott
28th Mar 2006, 22:41
The program installs easily, but you have to register it with Microsoft, otherwise much of it will stop working after 30 days.

I won't mention that if you reset your Date & Time properties somewhere around 2019 before installing, then reset to 2006 afterwards, there tends to be a long time before the 30 day trial period ends. It would be quite wrong to assume that such a thing would work ;) Wouldn't it?

Grum Peace Odd
29th Mar 2006, 05:19
...such a thing would work Wouldn't it?It would indeed, however:

It would keep popping up requesters saying that you 'only' have 4745 days to register, would you like to do it now?, and;
At only £17.31 for a legitimate copy of what is normally over £300 of office suite, why not register it and be done with it? What the hell else are you doing with your flying pay that you can't afford £17?

BATS
29th Mar 2006, 06:13
Larry = WAFU speak for Larry the Lynx.......

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2006, 06:13
This scheme also gives access to some MS hardware, entertainment software and some home comuputing software. I am not sure that any of these products are cheaper than on th eopen market.

It is only the Office Suite that is the real bargain.

Now you could argue that 'giving out' software for a nominal sum could be construed as a 'b.......'

"Now Caruthers, we've been using this software for 10 years now and it still doesn't do what good old WordPerfect 5.1 does. Think its time we gave the underdogs a go and ran a competition between Word, WordPerfect and Open Office. Run along, there's a good chap and organise a competitive tender."

~~~~~~~~

"Well Caruthers, what was the result?"

"Well Sir, WordPerfect still has that curious Reveal Codes section and can also read Adobe Acrobat files. Staff would be able to edit and amend the JSPs. Wouldn't want that; bad for QA.

Open Office is pretty good Sir, looks just like Word. But Sir is it very cheap. Not good value for money Sir, could not guarantee through life support. Probably be changed every couple of years."

"Ah, guess that leaves Microsoft Office then. Any other reasons why we should use Office?"

"Well Sir, Bill has promised Tony that . . . "

ChezTanker
29th Mar 2006, 11:08
This scheme also gives access to some MS hardware, entertainment software and some home comuputing software. I am not sure that any of these products are cheaper than on th eopen market.

It is only the Office Suite that is the real bargain.

"

Don't know if folk are aware that you can get McAfee for £10 PA - automatically gets renewed. So McAfee and Microsoft links:

Enterprise1.sbl.r.mil.uk/naihomeuse & Sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk

regards:)

MostlyHarmless
29th Mar 2006, 13:13
You could always use OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) which is free and works with "normal" MS Office docs. Unless you're really deep into office functionality, this does fine for 99.9% of users...

[edit - Ironically, spelling!]

PileUp Officer
29th Mar 2006, 13:29
You could always use OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) which is free and works with "normal" MS Office docs. Unless you're really deep into office functioanlity, this does fine for 99.9% of users...

I was just about to say that!

Navaleye
29th Mar 2006, 15:15
Years ago, the RN used to use a nice little office package called Applixware on a number of operational systems. It was like MS office except that it didn't crash. I even saw it on some RAF projects. Anyone still use it?

Blacksheep
29th Mar 2006, 23:45
Mmmm. That's a real bargain price. My own licensed copy of MS Office cost me nearly two hundred quid a couple of years ago!

Meanwhile, Microshaft just asked us for one million two hundred and seventy thousand dollars for 1100 MS Office licences. I told them we'll just buy 400 licenses and everyone else will 'make do' with the freeware Open Office and Microshaft's own freeware Word and Excel readers, downloaded from their website. From where I sit, it looks like Uncle Bill is getting increasingly worried by open source and is starting to sell some neat bargains.

Spacer
10th Apr 2006, 12:41
SirToppamHat: Many thanks for your tip.... Mine arrived today. Very nice for £18!

Onan the Clumsy
10th Apr 2006, 18:10
I have a copy of Office 97 that I got for ten bucks for working at a large American Company (back around 1997).

I say "working", but I mean it in the most liberal of senses. "Attending" might have been more appropriate.

PhoenixDaCat
11th Apr 2006, 06:12
Surely the ATC don't qualify for this too ?
S_H

I believe that we do. Some Sqns in North Region have already taken advantage of this.

Pontius Navigator
11th Apr 2006, 06:47
Basically, if you have the ability to log in then you do.

Money is money and MS seems quite happy to take little cheques as wel as big ones.

s70a9
4th May 2006, 13:20
Posted my order about a month a go. Money taken from bank, but still no software. Has anybody else had the same problems?

Also now away from work for a couple of months does anyone have a number I can call the dii people to chase my order up?

Almost_done
4th May 2006, 14:14
Posted my order about a month a go. Money taken from bank, but still no software. Has anybody else had the same problems?
Also now away from work for a couple of months does anyone have a number I can call the dii people to chase my order up?
Recieved mine yesterday, they did say that there 'had been a considerable uptake on this offer' so your order may be delayed.

dolphin 153
4th May 2006, 18:26
i've had probs to, eventually found the sbl number through another web site. its 01347 812100, hope this helps

Melchett01
4th May 2006, 19:47
Not sure if I was one of the lucky ones, but I had to wait about a month or so for my copy to arrive, but arrive it did and very pleased I am too. However, there are guys on sqn that have also been waiting a fair while longer; think it must just be shear weight of numbers combined with a dollop of luck.

Green Flash
4th May 2006, 21:24
Well now, the sbl number is on the same exchange as ..... Linton on Snooze! Fess up EGXU, tis you!