PDA

View Full Version : Ebay (again)

stickmonkeytamer
28th Mar 2006, 18:57
Can we find the other 99 and have a world dominating set??? Who does NOT have one of these? Check out what else he is selling. This is what is given when the yoof of today is "signed up"...

There is also some puzzles to keep you mind sharp prior to OASC!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8270357590&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

SMT

Time Flies
28th Mar 2006, 19:09
Hilarious!

I only have 1 available...

However, he has 2 for sale...and at only £30 each...how's he making a profit?

:\

SubdiFuge
28th Mar 2006, 19:13
I've got about 20 of the things - I somehow doubt that only 100 were made!

ratty1
28th Mar 2006, 19:17
I've got about 20 of the things - I somehow doubt that only 100 were made!

Quick flood the market and watch the price tumble................:eek:

airborne_artist
28th Mar 2006, 19:17
There's another 50 odd in the give-aways box at my daughter's ATC squadron - so that's err like £1,500 worth then :ok:

scottyhs
28th Mar 2006, 20:42
I've got one, im rich, rich tell you!!!! yes!

tmmorris
29th Mar 2006, 08:12
Even CCF got them - they must be trash...

Tim

g126
29th Mar 2006, 08:16
I can't get the link to work (problems my end), what is he selling?

G

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 08:54
I have reported this idiot to e bay. He isn't going to sell many, and at £30 each none at all

Safety_Helmut
29th Mar 2006, 09:18
A2QFI, it will be interesting to hear what the ebay response is ?

S_H

plans123
29th Mar 2006, 09:37
Don't overlook these 'high fashion' items he's also trying to knock out...
RAF Wrist Bands........ (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-A-F-wrist-band-rare-only-100-made-i-have-only-one_W0QQitemZ8270356496QQcategoryZ106113QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
A fiver for postage second class for the Keyring, 2 quid to have this posted..........:mad: :eek:
The other thing thats got me wondering...........had he got permission to use the RAF new corporate identity in his add?????? :}

Safety_Helmut
29th Mar 2006, 10:06
He hasn't sold anyhting yet though has he ?

WhiteOvies
29th Mar 2006, 10:33
Saw hundreds of these dished out for free at Airbourne 2005. Rare? Only 100 ever made? I know MOD don't have a lot of cash to spare on publicity but I don't think we're in the business of limited editions of tat. :\

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 10:46
I have just telephoned my local RAF Base CPRO and he confirms that these items were freely available in unlimited numbers. I have also e mailed the seller asking whether, bearing mind the £30 price of these items, they are individually numbered and do they have a certificate of authenticity? I don't expect an answer! E bay have sent me an automated reply saying that they will not be able to tell me the outcome of my complaint but I think we may find the auctions closed quite soon.

airborne_artist
29th Mar 2006, 11:54
A2QFI - not sure Ebay will bother - if someone wants to sell items that are within Ebay's rules then they won't be fussed. I've just watched a used phone go for £10 more than O2 sell new (pre-pay, not contract), and I heard a lady being interviewed who made a lot of money buying items from M&S and auctioning them on Ebay.com as M&S would not ship stateside.

There's plenty of fools out there just waiting to be parted from their money. So long as the seller of the key-rings ships the product he's in the clear.

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 12:16
I think that they may, in that the seller is claiming that they are a 'limited edition of 100' which they clearly are not. I agree that if someone can sell something he got for next to nothing, for £30, that is fine but if he boosts the price by claiming rarity or linited edition status then that is an untrue listing and a breach of the e bay rules. They won't tell me what they do but I shall be disappointed if the items are still listed on Friday - we shall see.

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 13:57
The seller tells me that the item is No 5 and that it has a certificate of authenticity! I have asked him if the item he is referring to is a key fob or a wrist band and asked him to post a photo of the item, showing the number, and/or the certificate of authenticity. Perhaps I had better go and buy a hat to eat!

Tourist
29th Mar 2006, 14:03
I have to ask why you give a sh1t what he is selling?

Time Flies
29th Mar 2006, 14:07
A2QFI

Look no further!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-RAF-OFFICER-HAT-MINT-CONDITION-BEST_W0QQitemZ6616980253QQcategoryZ36076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

;)

sucksqueezeBANGstop
29th Mar 2006, 14:10
I'm not sure buying an item from someone called "jono9bums" is that wise anyway! ;)

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 14:20
I have to ask why you give a sh1t what he is selling?
No you don't!

WASALOADIE
29th Mar 2006, 15:21
I had also reported him to ebay as misrepresenting an item and they have said they will investigate and respond to me asap. I have also contacted the seller and informed him that there are more than 100 out there.

southside
29th Mar 2006, 15:40
I have to agree with tourist....Who cares? why are you concerned about this fella flogging RAF key fobs/ Wrist bands? Good luck to the fella/

It reminds me of the recent article which celebrated 5 years of E-Bay and the strangest things they have auctioned.... apparently they had one chap trying to sell a £5 note....he flogged it as well...for 6 quid !!!

ratty1
29th Mar 2006, 15:44
I have to agree with tourist....Who cares? why are you concerned about this fella flogging RAF key fobs/ Wrist bands? Good luck to the fella/

It reminds me of the recent article which celebrated 5 years of E-Bay and the strangest things they have auctioned.... apparently they had one chap trying to sell a £5 note....he flogged it as well...for 6 quid !!!

And what did you spend your £1 profit on?

southside
29th Mar 2006, 15:54
another £5 note....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4857676.stm

ratty1
29th Mar 2006, 16:19
another £5 note....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4857676.stm

Blue Peter badge scheme suspended............???????????

A2QFI
29th Mar 2006, 17:55
"I have to agree with tourist" No you don't, you choose to! You worry about what bothers you and leave the rest of us to get on with what concerns us! If you think that some loon passing off free trash as highly valuable RAF memoribilia is OK, move on. Some of us think it matters and are doing something about it.

southside
29th Mar 2006, 19:06
Are you sore because you didn't think about it first?

Maybe your title gives the game away...Your an A2 and Im only a B1 so therefore you are better than me and you are not a a kno8 (as the song goes)...or is there something else bothering you.....This poor bloke is trying to earn a couple of shilling flogging key rings and for some reason you are calling in MI5, police, AIB the lot....? Odd behaviour...

Dendmar
29th Mar 2006, 19:15
Southside.

Perhaps you miss the point. It is not the fact he is selling the items but that he is a Liar.

A2QFI
30th Mar 2006, 06:22
Both the e bay auctions for this fraudulently described stuff have been closed. I think that says it all.

Time Flies
30th Mar 2006, 07:39
A2QFI

You have wasted 2 days of your life on this...I think that says it all! ;)

c-bert
30th Mar 2006, 07:50
A2QFI

So the police as wasting their lives? :confused: :\

Time Flies
30th Mar 2006, 08:07
So the police as wasting their lives?

Hmmmm....police?....try NHS GP Receptionist. :hmm:

This of course assumes his public profile is accurate and he's not claiming rarity or linited edition status

:ok:

c-bert
30th Mar 2006, 08:14
Hmmmm....police?....try NHS GP Receptionist. :hmm:
This of course assumes his public profile is accurate and he's not
:ok:

No, no, you're missing my point. This ebay chap is trying to con people out of money with false claims. That's no better than a dodgy builder conning old people out of their savings. Hence, the police comment.

Time Flies
30th Mar 2006, 08:16
OK...I see.

A2QFI
30th Mar 2006, 09:37
A2QFI

Not really; I haven't 'wasted' any time - I have spent about 10 minutes sorting out some rip-off merchant and so has another contribuor to this thread. I guess that you have a fairly easy going attitude to dishonesty and fraud, I don't! THAT says it all!

airborne_artist
30th Mar 2006, 09:42
I haven't 'wasted' any time - I have spent about 10 minutes sorting out some rip-off merchant

Now you are finished with sorting out a two-bit shyster on Fleabay (who hadn't got any bids anyway, so no fraud had been committed) could you work your magic on some slightly bigger, but more important targets? Residents of nos. 10 and 11 Downing St spring to mind :ok:

A2QFI
30th Mar 2006, 10:38
No fraud committed but a false description is "Attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception" which is a crime, even if no bids were recieved. I am doing my bit - you get on and deal with whatever is interesting to you. 10 & 11 are well out of my sphere of influence!

radar707
30th Mar 2006, 11:43
The offence of attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantge by deception has not been committed in this case.

A pecuniary advantage is:

(i) Being allowed to borrow by way of overdraft, eg where D pays for goods or services by way of a cheque drawn on his own account having been instructed by his bank not to do so, he will commit an offence under s16 if the cheque is supported by his cheque guarantee card and the bank, as a result, has to debit the amount of the cheque from D's account, thus increasing his overdraft.
(ii) Taking out a policy of insurance or annuity contract, or obtaining an improvement of the terms on which the defendant is allowed to do so, eg where D secures a policy, or a policy on better terms, by falsely stating that he is a non-smoker where this is material to the issue of the policy or its terms.
(iii) Being given an opportunity to earn remuneration or greater remuneration in an office or employment, eg where D lies about his qualifications and secures a job as a result, the job is the pecuniary advantage obtained by deception.
(iv) Being given the opportunity to win money by betting, eg where D by deception is allowed to bet on credit or cash terms.

The most likely offence would be attempting to obtain money by deception.

It would have to be proven that the seller of the goods actually knew that more than 100 of these key fobs had actually been produced in order for the deception element of the crime to be applicable.

Tourist
30th Mar 2006, 12:07
A2QFI.

I bet you were the sort of wheezy boy with no friends who always told tales on the naughty boys who smoked behind the maths block.
The teachers didn't like you either you know......

Z3IRI

c-bert
30th Mar 2006, 12:15
A2QFI.
I bet you were the sort of wheezy boy with no friends who always told tales on the naughty boys who smoked behind the maths block.
The teachers didn't like you either you know......
Z3IRI

Personal insults seem a little harsh for someone who is trying to stop a con artist....;)

Tourist
30th Mar 2006, 12:20
I think that con artist is a strong description for someone who is selling key-rings.
Anyway, anyone moron who falls for it deserves to be conned.
"A fool and his money are easily parted"

c-bert
30th Mar 2006, 12:35
I think that con artist is a strong description for someone who is selling key-rings.
Anyway, anyone moron who falls for it deserves to be conned.
"A fool and his money are easily parted"

True, but I think £30 is a bit strong for a key ring... :hmm:

So, in your opinion at what point does fooling someone into handing over money become a con? £100? £1000?

STANDTO
30th Mar 2006, 16:48
sorry I am a bit late, cutbacks you know.

Did someone ask for the police?

Tourist
30th Mar 2006, 17:14
c-bert.
That's a very good question.
After some cogitation I have decided that, in my opinion, the amount of cash is unimportant. What is important is the stupidity of the victim.
I reckon that someone who will pay £30 for a mass produced key-ring deserves to be conned in just the same way that someone who buys London Bridge from a stranger deserves to be fleeced.
A form of gentle Darwinism.

Time Flies
30th Mar 2006, 17:59
A2QFI

I still think that your time could have been better spent...maybe by researching the definition of "Attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception."

You say that you... have spent about 10 minutes sorting out some rip-off merchant.

Who do you honestly think you saved in all this...the unsuspecting purchaser, the seller or was it just your own selfishness?

What if the chap selling the key ring actually was told when joining up there were only 100 ever made. Are you going to dedicate another 10 minutes tracking down the bluntie who deceived him and make sure he is cashiered at once? :yuk:

The fact I'm still posting on this thread makes me as guilty of timewasting as you. Enough already.

TF

ps. STANDTO

I've checked and err.......no. :hmm:

tmmorris
30th Mar 2006, 18:45
What he has gained is the knowledge that someone who did something wrong has been forced to stop doing it.

This makes the world a better place. I'm sorry if you disagree with that.

Tim

g126
30th Mar 2006, 18:50
Is this thread not over yet???

Congratulations, you've stopped an ebay criminal. Good or bad, it has been done now. Some people get something out of doing their little bits of good in the world, I say good for you. If it doesn't float your boat thats fine to, but surely there is no more discussion to be had over it???

G

rugmuncher
30th Mar 2006, 19:03
I've got a pair of black aircrew boots which I'm thinking of putting up!

Just not too sure how much to post them for as the stacker in stores said they were the last pair in size 9, and 10's were in "limited supply" so I'm guessing they must be fairly rare!!

They even have a special edition arrow on the inside!!

Or should I just hang onto them to pass on to the grandchildren to pay their way through University?

:ouch:

tonkatechie
31st Mar 2006, 15:46
The important part of the advert is where he says:
"Was given to me when i signed up for the R.A.F."

Ias this what attracts someone to the RAF? I was attracted by travel, money, and a pension at the end of it all - he wanted a :mad: ing keyring!!

By the way, i know that the quote is obviously bollox, much like the rest of the advert, but hopefully you'll get the point!

rafloo
24th Apr 2006, 11:37
Good story

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006180697,,00.html

Mr C Hinecap
24th Apr 2006, 11:53
not that good a story really. In fact, it is a bit of a non-story isn't it?

Anyone can play at dressing-up and wear anything they want. One would hope that the gate guard would look at the valid ID more than the uniform.

I wonder if I could palm my old RAF raincoat and a few knackered blue shirts off to the Sun as well - seems they pay well over the odds for this stuff. Do you think they'd pay extra for some 'genuine SAS green thermal underwear' then? :rolleyes:

South Bound
24th Apr 2006, 12:25
I also think that the officer should have returned his Gore Tex, as it was on issue and I think these things get returned and reissued...ooops

GengisKhant
24th Apr 2006, 14:00
I bet that there are many readers who have items left over from their past service carreer tucked away at the back of a cupboard or in the attic...., probably for sentimental reasons. Have a clear out and log on to the link here....,

http://www.uniform4sale.co.uk/raf_wanted.htm

....you may just find that you can help someone who is looking for a piece of kit...., and make a couple of bob into the bargain....!

Now..., where did I store my No1..., my No 5 and my tropical mess kit..., the latter being what I consider to be the smartest item of uniform that we were ever issued..., sorry...., that we were ever given an allowance for.... Had mine made by the RAF bespoke tailor Ai Wa Lam who had his shop on the Kowloon Road just outside Kai Tak airport - very well made..., and cost well within the allowance!!!

GengisK :ok:

BEagle
24th Apr 2006, 14:40
Don't know about the Goretex jacket.....

....but 'Danni's a Page 3 delight' is surely true. No relation to Capn PPRuNe, I would guess!

airborne_artist
24th Apr 2006, 14:55
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006181118,00.jpg

PPRuNe Pop
24th Apr 2006, 15:08
To be honest guys this has run itself out now and we are a bit unhappy about giving e-bay house room, in which we are effectively advertising the site.

Time to rein in. Bit of a non-event anyway wouldn't you say, not to mention boring - with the exception, perhaps, with the last 'two on one' post! :E