PDA

View Full Version : Is it bent?

Saintsman
28th Mar 2006, 18:08
There's a picture on the front cover of this weeks Flight International of a Sea Harrier. The cockpit definately appears to be off centre. Is this for real?

http://www.flightglobal.com/Home/Default.aspx

Gary Lager
28th Mar 2006, 18:11
Perhaps what makes it look lop-sided is the (stowed) air-to-air refuelling boom, which lies alongside the starboard side of the cockpit. That, combined with the slight bank angle of the aircraft away from the camera.

SpotterFC
28th Mar 2006, 19:16
No stowed boom on an FA2 - you're thinking GR7/9. FA2s have the bolt on variety due to the fact that in their main role, and where they would therefore be working, there ain't no tankers to support them - why carry the weight. (Also original FRS1 airframe on which they're based didn't have it) The reason the first full FA2 ac picture looks lopsided is because of the fairing for the windscreen wiper - ISYN! Look at the next picture down (the head on shot) and you'll see what I mean.

They don't call me Spotter for nowt.

The Rocket
28th Mar 2006, 19:21
Seems they do call you Spotter for nowt old bean.

GR7/9's have a bolt on probe assy too if I'm not mistaken:8

They do extend and retract, but definately bolt on a la GR4, rather than retract into the airframe F3 style

FJJP
28th Mar 2006, 19:23
And the yaw vane is slightly offset to the port side...

SpotterFC
28th Mar 2006, 19:26
My apologies - it's bolted on to the GR7/9 in the same way as that for the GR1/4 is, not technically integral to the airframe, but you rarely if ever see them fly without it, and it does at least retract under power from the host ac. That is as opposed to the 'bit of bent pipe' affair that the FA2s and GR3's have/had that was truly bolted on when required.

Vidal
28th Mar 2006, 19:29
5 posts and no-one has made any form of "Bent - Navy, geddit?" form of response? Oh, how things change!

P.S. Dark blues - this is not a "Bent - Navy, geddit?" post, merely an observation.:D

The Rocket
28th Mar 2006, 19:44
No need for apologies Spotter old man:ok: :ok:

Merely me being a pedant:8

Vidal,

I'm sorry to say that, that was the first thing that came into my head:E

Tim McLelland
29th Mar 2006, 22:07
Ooh Matron!

Let's do the timewarp again

Gary Lager
30th Mar 2006, 11:06
Have just seen the cover on the mag for real, rather than that teeny weeny picture in the link, and now recognise that what I wrote was b*ll*cks.

Embarrassed that this was moved from Questions into Mil Aircrew as more folks now know I know nothing about mil aircraft. Also embarrassed that I didn't make a bum joke when presented with an open opportunity (ooh! Does that count?).

GL