PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL ground-Over the top????

Jay_solo
28th Mar 2006, 17:24
Hi,
I just started doing my ATPL ground with Bristol Groundschool. All very good with notes and CD rom etc. But, overall, is the majority of the content in each of the 14 subjects relevant to a being pilot? Is it too in-depth? It would be interesting to know everyone's opinion. Or if there are other threads available, you can direct me to them. I just find the subjects interesting, but over the top in many ways. What do you think????? :confused:

zakpeegoodus
29th Mar 2006, 02:18
www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209689

genius747
29th Mar 2006, 03:12
Jay Solo... you hit the nail on the head!!

There is no doubt "an amount of crap" in the learning objectives.
Off the top of my head 20-30% of the JAA ATPL learning objectives, and hence the content of all the FTO's ATPL course notes you will most probably never use again in an airline environment.

Anybody that has a drasticaly different opinion than this, has not passed the 14 exams.

Anybody that has passed the 14 exams knows what I am talking about.

Just jump through the hoops Jay.... When the CAA say "JUMP" don't ask why, ask how high!!!

Good luck with them, the exams are the easy part, anybody who's been through it also knows what i mean.:ok:

G74

Pauliejet
29th Mar 2006, 06:24
Jay, I find that quite a bit of the syllabus is useful in airline life. Not all, but some. The exams also put us all as a working community on a level playing field, and give the foundation for building further knowledge, based on practical experience gained in the job. I know what you mean, there is a lot of theoretical bumpff but you'll be better for it. Without it every gibbon out there could do the job.

Good luck,

High Wing Drifter
29th Mar 2006, 06:43
It's all relevant one way or another, no doubt about it in my mind. I could perhaps understand the frustration if one wanted to be a career instructor. Other than that the remaining question is, considering that ATPLs provide a broad base, is it all necessary at this stage? I'm sure some of it will be repeated during the type rating. However, even during the MEIR there are, what I would have previously considered, obscure bits of airlaw that become apparent regardless of the obvious need for the relevant sections in planning, navigation, PoF, performance, mass and balance, human factors, instruments, meteorology, aircraft gen, etc, etc.

As Send Clowns has pointed out previously in another thread, stuff like FMS page knowledge does seem a little out of place at this stage, but all the same I'm glad I've been walked through it or else I'd be left wondering. Although all that boring crap about fire extinguishers seems to be there as padding...but then again you are going to have at least appreciate this data in some form or another and I suppose if something's worth doing...

What could possibly make more sense for some is that you do CPL related knowledge before the CPL course, the IR before the IR and ATPL bits before the MCC, etc. I see no reason why each individual can't choose to do the relevant bit before the associated flying course on a piecemeal basis; a real modular course. Forcing people to do IR knowledge before the CPL and possibly way way ahead of doing the IR is silly. It just so happens I appreciate getting rid of the lot in one go.

Personally, although it is a slog, I'm glad of the knowledge. Even if I would wake up with a 8inches of feedback as a pillow, the majority of it is pretty fascinating stuff.

PPRuNe Towers
29th Mar 2006, 09:34
As Clowns and HWD have pointed out you're leapfrogging the system and getting things out of the way. Thus the frozen bit - an advantage not shared by others around the world who have to work through the qualifications system more closely in step with their flying experience.

Imagine trying to study for and sit the ATPL's on a lo co roster? A dream job for many of you but you could end up trapped in the right hand seat.

Suck it in soldier - you benefit in the end.:ooh: :ooh:

rob

littco
29th Mar 2006, 11:06
I'm upto module 7 of the first part, and hopefully sitting the exams in June. THe first 6 or so modules have been hard graft and you are right in that there seems to be a lot to take in and plenty of "Do I really need to know that?" but whether it is relevant or not it has to be learnt. It's funny cos after A level Maths I thought I would never use Sin/Cos/Tan again, and haven't until I started learning about Rhumb Lines and Transport wander... So who knows what you'll end up using!

I have found that some of the subjects have started to repeat themselves and it's mostly revision on some topics, which is also helpfull as they can make sense.

I would also suggest you sign upto the Question bank as well, because it is very helpful to see how questions are asked and what they are looking for, it definately makes you look at the important information more closely.

When you planning on doing the refesher course?